Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Want to become a lecturer in Construction studies

• 20-10-2009 9:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hey all,

I have an undergad degree in Quantity Surveying and a masters in Construction Project Management.

My aim is to become a Lecturer, and for Universities I know its now nearly compulsory to have a PhD but I think at the moment its not for me. I would like to lecture in GMIT and since that is the institute of technology I believe that a MSc degree would suffice.

Currently I have two years industrial expierience and hope to go abroad for a while and when I come back to maybe gain a lecturing position.

Do you have any advice/informations? Also what are the usually holidays and salary for lecturing in an Instituite of Technology?

Cheers!!:D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

dickybird wrote: »
    Do you have any advice/informations? Also what are the usually holidays and salary for lecturing in an Instituite of Technology?

You are already off to a bad start. If that is all that interests you, forget it.
    My aim is to become a Lecturer, and for Universities I know its now nearly compulsory to have a PhD but I think at the moment its not for me. I would like to lecture in GMIT and since that is the institute of technology I believe that a MSc degree would suffice.

Technically, all that is required is a BSc. However, the chances of you getting a lecturing position with just a BSc are none. Full stop.
    Currently I have two years industrial expierience and hope to go abroad for a while and when I come back to maybe gain a lecturing position.

In the Institutes of Technology, you need at least three years post-grad experience to lecture.

Have a look at the sticky at the top of the forum - I have documented most of my experiences there.

Also, are you sure GMIT provides such a course?

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask here.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 dickybird

"Technically, all that is required is a BSc. However, the chances of you getting a lecturing position with just a BSc are none. Full stop. "

Actually I have a MSc aswell!!

Advertisement