Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Sign Outside Letterkenny Cinema!!!

Options
  • 20-10-2009 9:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭

Can somebody tell me why there is no sign outside Letterkenny cinema telling everyone what is currently showing in the cinema. I dont think I have ever seen a cinema without this before, anywhere. I drive past it every day of my life, almost and I never know what is on and have subsequently missed loads of films that I might otherwise have gone to see.
    Is this not one of the basic things a cinema should have, a big screen, seats, a sweet shop and a sign outside telling everyone what is on.

P.S. They said the charge for the 3d glasses was for cleaning, why then did I have to clean all my kids glasses on my shirt so they could see througn them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

I would say they didn't get permission for a sign near the road, seen its at a bend, it probably wouldn't be the best idea to have people reading a sign as they drive by.

you can get them to email you a list of shows every week, its very handy. LINKY Weekly Listing by Email

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭North_West_Art

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

I see what you mean about the location, I wonder if this is the reason, that is the only excusable reason I will accept, any other reasons are all crap, I want a sign telling me what is on.

As for the glasses, if I thought I was going to go to a few 3d movies I would definitely buy my own. They were disgustingly dirty, you couldent even see through them, cleaning fee my arse.

Its a rip off in there aswell, €45 for 2 adults, 2 kids and a drink and packet of sweets each.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

I usually check their website : LINK : when I'm thinking of going.
    Plus, as already mentioned, you can sign up for a weekly email.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

I'm fully aware of all the ways of finding out what is on in the cinema, my point is that a large sign outside advertising what is on would attract my attention to films that I might like to see but without going checking the internet or reading the derry people, I dont know they are on. It is basic advertising sense to advertise your product as visibly as possible. I dont go to the cinema often but I do know I would go more if I knew what was on, as I said I drive past it everyday and often wonder what is on when I am passing but dont think of it again when I get home. If it were on a big sign that I drive past, the notion might get into my head and I might actually go, as I am sure others would as well.

• Advertisement

Yeah, that's be a great idea. Why not email the cinema and suggest it to them?

http://www.centurycinemas.ie/contactus.php

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

It would seem that theres no point in them putting a sign up outside the cinema as they aren't showing anything according to their weekly newsletter - image below :D

cinema.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

Hmmm.. So it seems maybe these are the films they are showing this week...

Memoirs of an Invisible Man (1992)
    All the Invisible Children (2005)
    Unseen Evil (1999)
    Blank Screen (1999)
    Big Nothing (2006)
    In Their Absence (2003)
    This Is Not a Picture (2005)
    The Last Sign (2005)
    The Void (2001)
    Emptiness (2001)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭digital pimp

In my opinion, letterkenny's Century Cinema is a poor inadequate cinema.
    as are Lifford, Omagh, etc.
    Derry's Omniplex Cinema is ok, but the cinemas in Blefast and Dublin are amazing.
    Letterkenny people dont know what theyre missing.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,121 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I think Letterkenny's Century is pretty good myself.

Comparing it with cinemas in the two biggest cities on the island is a poor comparison.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭Johnny Giles

A screen, a seat and popcorn. They have that in Donegal too. That's all you need.

just because we live in the country, dosnt mean we should get the short end of the stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

In my opinion, letterkenny's Century Cinema is a poor inadequate cinema.
    as are Lifford, Omagh, etc.
    Derry's Omniplex Cinema is ok, but the cinemas in Blefast and Dublin are amazing.

I think Letterkenny cinema is fine. Cinemas in Dublin are the biggest ripoffs. Between the price of snacks and tickets, I probably could have shot the film and still had change in my pocket. Hence, why I've started to sneak in my own food or just wait for the film to come out on DVD. Also, there is 1 cinema in Dublin that I've been to a couple of times and I've literally been frozen coming out it.

im a bit of a movie snob i guess

but id compare them in car terms

Letterkennys cinema is an 1993 vauxhall nova compared to dublin/belfast cinemas being an 2009 aston martin vanquish.

no contest. we deserve better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭Technique

im a bit of a movie snob i guess

but id compare them in car terms

Letterkennys cinema is an 1993 vauxhall nova compared to dublin/belfast cinemas being an 2009 aston martin vanquish.

no contest. we deserve better.

Why do you think that? I've genuinely always thought that Letterkenny cinema was a clean, modern, comfortable cinema.

Is it the image or sound quality? Or the general experience?

Not having a go, just wondering what you base your opinion on.

Ah, be jaybus, I remember when ye had to que outside the Cineplex, opposite The Grill, in the pouring rain, waiting for the doors to open! The screens where wide, but the 3 cinemas where small, so God help ya if you could only get a seat at the front! Your poor eyes would be crazy for a week! We where truely blessed the time the cinema upgraded the seats to comfy two seater sofa things! Great for getting in close :D

I think Letterkenny Cinema is a fantastic facility, and one that any town in the country would be delighted to have.

Technique wrote: »
    Why do you think that? I've genuinely always thought that Letterkenny cinema was a clean, modern, comfortable cinema.

Is it the image or sound quality? Or the general experience?

Not having a go, just wondering what you base your opinion on.

exactly,
    my issues are the picture-projector and sound
    (and no sweet popcorn lol)

i feel bad for all the people who dont know what theyre missing

Advertisement