Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What to do for short term broadband?

• 20-10-2009 10:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭

Presume many people face this problem....

Basically, I'm planning on moving around Christmas time or January, but most places have a 12 month contract (or are ridiculously expensive because of phone line rental charges).

I could use the o2 modem, but I'm currently on the "try before you buy" offer, and its not fast enough for xbox live and I won't be able to download much/anything, and can't stream anything. For general use, its ok-ish. What I was thinking of doing was giving the o2 to my parents when I move. They have been on about getting broadband for a while and this would mean the contract wouldn't be a problem, but all I could use it for is IM, general webpages....far, far from ideal.

I rang UPC, and they said I can move their 10mb to my new address, but even if they do not provide to the new address, I have to pay them 100 quid for breaking the contract. I don't want to fork over money for nothing. I think this is a massive load of rubbish that I would have to pay them because they can't provide the service to me any more.

It'll probably take 2 weeks for it to be installed, so you run the risk of paying 100 quid just for the sake of 2 months or so.

Suggestions? :(:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭hightower1

Well every ISP will have a min term to their contract and none will be as min as the time frame your giving,they all also have an out of contract fee, only thing you could do is try play the odds, get an ISP that will have the greatest coverage map which unfortunately is Eircom.
    UPC pretty much have most major cities covered so if you think you may be moving to a city chances are UPC can move there too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

hightower1 wrote: »
    Well every ISP will have a min term to their contract and none will be as min as the time frame your giving,they all also have an out of contract fee, only thing you could do is try play the odds, get an ISP that will have the greatest coverage map which unfortunately is Eircom.
    UPC pretty much have most major cities covered so if you think you may be moving to a city chances are UPC can move there too.

I don't want to go with Eircom anyways. I would need to pay line rental, and comparing prices, I could get 10mb Magnet for the same price as a slow Eircom line.

I was living in Limerick City before, but we couldn't get Digiweb or UPC (unless it was through the phoneline), because of trees and a church, apparently.

Really don't want to get stung for €100 for breaking the contract. I'd be quite happy to take UPC now, and continue on the service when I move, but I'm not paying 100 quid if they can't provide.

Catch 22, I guess. Whats the answer for short term broadband? If you didn't have to pay line rental and didn't have a min contract and provided a reasonable service, surely any ISP would clean up?

Why the need for min contracts? Rather than getting 2-3 months worth with the possibility of more, UPC are now gonna get nothing off me. It doesn't make sense really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    Catch 22, I guess. Whats the answer for short term broadband? If you didn't have to pay line rental and didn't have a min contract and provided a reasonable service

There is no solution, short term broadband doesn't exist. Only option is 3G midband on PAYG. You'll get bare Internet access, but say goodbye to anything like gaming, VOIP, P2P, etc.
    Why the need for min contracts?

It costs them money to install, it costs money to uninstall, and it costs a lot to set up the network in the first place. If they allow people to quite after a month, then you'd get people signing on and off whenever it suited them, and would cost the ISP way too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

jor el wrote: »
    It costs them money to install, it costs money to uninstall, and it costs a lot to set up the network in the first place. If they allow people to quite after a month, then you'd get people signing on and off whenever it suited them, and would cost the ISP way too much.
    It's also about securing a bottom line figure. If they lock people into a minimum contract, they can project their income over a set time.

Why don't you take UPC and if they can't provide for you at your new address, just tell them to feck off. Or you could play nice and ask them to let you off.

Check this topic out, post #4:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055715613

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I don't want to go with Eircom anyways. I would need to pay line rental, and comparing prices, I could get 10mb Magnet for the same price as a slow Eircom line.

I thought that too, went from 3meg Eircom to 10 meg Magnet, Magnet could still only give me 3meg speeds and I'm stuck in the contract, also, line rental with Magnet is €25 per month on top of the bill so it works out alot more expensive. I thought it would be far cheaper too but I'm paying around €90 per month for 10meg bb and phone service.

• Advertisement
  • Company Representative Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Magnet: Rory

I thought that too, went from 3meg Eircom to 10 meg Magnet, Magnet could still only give me 3meg speeds and I'm stuck in the contract, also, line rental with Magnet is €25 per month on top of the bill so it works out alot more expensive. I thought it would be far cheaper too but I'm paying around €90 per month for 10meg bb and phone service.

90 per month? Really? Do you need help on this? It does not sound normal?

Advertisement