Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2000-2009 - The Lost Decade?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Flamed Diving

liah wrote: »
    Just because the style has changed doesn't mean it's for the worse. It seems like you just plain don't want to find anything because you'd much rather go on about how much better things were "in your day." Poor attitude to have and means you're overlooking so many talented artists.

And it's not about a "good song or two;" it's just that it's not so much about the flow of an album. I could say that every song on The Black Keys' Thickfreakness album is great, but I wouldn't say it's a great album the same way I'd say Sigur Rós' Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust is a great album. Each individual song on the Thickfreakness album is very, very good as a standalone. But Með flows as a themed album, the kind of thing you'd want to listen to all of as it doesn't have the same impact if you break it down individually (although the songs are still absolutely class, it just works better as the whole shabang.)

You really haven't looked hard enough, honestly. And yes, good bands do sometimes hide away in the cracks. Christ, Britney Spears should show you that it's not talent that decides whether or not you get popular.

Liah, you are being lazy here.

1) You are assuming that I want things to be like the old days. That is roughly the 5th idiotic assumption made about me in this thread. I really wish people would stop it with the ad hominem/strawman arguments.

2) Ok, thats just a difference in definition.

3) Yes, but you should focus really hard on the "generally" word in what I said. It's kind of important.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Liah, you are being lazy here.

1) You are assuming that I want things to be like the old days. That is roughly the 5th idiotic assumption made about me in this thread. I really wish people would stop it with the ad hominem/strawman arguments.

2) Ok, thats just a difference in definition.

3) Yes, but you should focus really hard on the "generally" word in what I said. It's kind of important.

It's hardly an assumption when you refuse to accept that there IS good music from this decade, and plenty of it. I don't think the standard has been lowered at all, just changed. Learn to adapt to that change.

I just think it's odd you say you're a music lover when you really honestly are having trouble finding good music from this decade considering how much there is of it. Also, you forget every decade someone says the exact same thing as you. It's a bad case of nostalgia and not being willing to go with the flow and appreciate new things.

Either way I'm done, it's obvious you've got it in your head that this decade is the worst for music ever and nothing's going to change that. Suppose I feel sorry for you, you're missing out on a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Annnnnnd, this marks the point where I stop responding to Kold's posts. He is obviously just trolling and wasting our time.
    Excuse me? I provided responses until it became clear that you wanted somebody to babyfeed you the next iconic 90s indie rock band.

Music is subjective but there are well formulated opinions and there is "Why does music suck so much these days?". You say you've been listening to the radio and looking in all the regular places. Have you tried actually participating in music scenes? Yes, good music does hide in the cracks. But you don't even have to look that hard. Acts like Boards of Canada, Venetian Snares, Squarepusher, Mogwai, Autechre and Godspeed You Black Emperor sh*t on the 90s as far as innovation goes.
    Trolling and wasting my time? You still haven't answered me how you even came to the conclusion when judging on your comments to Liah, you haven't even bothered looking up many entry level acts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

nah, this decade has been crap, I don't care about adapting to the times, there have been some good albums from bands like TMV, ATDI and at a stretch Sigur Ros, but I have no interest in getting with the program. There was more artistry in music in times past and a greater willingness to experiment rather than just bring back the 80s. Again the 80s was another awful decade for music, a step down from the 70s, with the exception of a few good metal bands. But I don't subscribe to this view that it never gets any worse or better, that its a flat curve of quality. There are high points, low points and mid points like a sine wave. If you look at history it behaves like a wave too, everything is a wavefunction.

It's hardly an assumption when you refuse to accept that there IS good music from this decade, and plenty of it. I don't think the standard has been lowered at all, just changed. Learn to adapt to that change.

Strawman. Look at my first post, you lazy sod:
    Of course, there have been some great bands, but nowhere near the frequency of previous decades, imo. However, I must say that the tail-end of this decade has shown a great improvement, especially from 2008 onwards, so hopefully this is a trend into a great 2010-2019.

Stop strawmanning. :mad:
    I just think it's odd you say you're a music lover when you really honestly are having trouble finding good music from this decade considering how much there is of it. Also, you forget every decade someone says the exact same thing as you. It's a bad case of nostalgia and not being willing to go with the flow and appreciate new things.

Liah, I have spent this whole decade asking people to recommend music to me. In each and every case I went out and got it. I would say 90% of it has disappointed me. I listen to the broadest spectrum of music out of anyone I know. As I type this I find it frustrating that I have to defend my person, instead of the argument. It speaks volumes of your side when that is the only tool you have.
    Either way I'm done, it's obvious you've got it in your head that this decade is the worst for music ever and nothing's going to change that. Suppose I feel sorry for you, you're missing out on a lot.

Ad hominem.

• Advertisement

Strawman. Look at my first post, you lazy sod:

Ad hominem indeed. Look at the continuation of my post: "and plenty of it."
    Liah, I have spent this whole decade asking people to recommend music to me. In each and every case I went out and got it. I would say 90% of it has disappointed me. I listen to the broadest spectrum of music out of anyone I know. As I type this I find it frustrating that I have to defend my person, instead of the argument. It speaks volumes of your side when that is the only tool you have.

Stop asking other people to recommend music for you then. Look it up yourself. Get a last.fm subscription and go nuts for a month with it, I guarantee you'll discover a hell of a lot if you make an effort. You can't expect anyone else but yourself to find your particular taste in music. Also, just because it's not your taste doesn't mean it's not good, you can't fob off a whole decade because it doesn't suit your style. It's unfair.

I was on Last.fm, for quite a few months. Somewhat fittingly, the best "new" music it recommended to me was from the 60s/70s, despite me looking for 00's music. A selection of the 00s bands recommended:

Animal Collective
    Brett Dennen
    Dept of Eagles
    Flaming Lips (had heard of these before, but gave them second go)
    Great Lake Swimmers
    Hercules & Love Affair
    Kings of Convenience
    M83
    Modest Mouse
    William Fitzsimmons
    Wintersleep
    Yacht

Bar one or two songs from each, nothing really got me going there. There was more (Blitzen Trapper springs to mind), but I have since deleted them from my PC. That's the problem with Last.fm actually. They only play the good songs and lead you to believe that the band is good. Then you go get the album, and its 10 mediocre songs plus the one you heard. Yet everyone is raving about them...

Agree to disagree, but this decade was a yawn-fest for me. I look forward to the next decade with a cautious optimism.

NEXT!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Monkey61 wrote: »

People rave about the 60s and 70s, but I think that is down to a few core seminal artists that have stood the test of time and thus act as a yardstick against which people dismiss newer bands.

It's hard to say just how true this statement is. Whenever some berk at a party is complaining about the music and you ask him what he likes his inevitable response is "you know, 70's stuff. Led Zeppelin". There seems to be an idiotic assumption among all of these people that Led Zeppelin are completely representitive of their era. They're not. They're one band.

Personally, I feel this decade has had quality coming out of it's ass but it's not been pigeonholed into one genre like every decade before has. It's been a great decade for rap for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,271 ✭✭✭irish_bob

nah, this decade has been crap, I don't care about adapting to the times, there have been some good albums from bands like TMV, ATDI and at a stretch Sigur Ros, but I have no interest in getting with the program. There was more artistry in music in times past and a greater willingness to experiment rather than just bring back the 80s. Again the 80s was another awful decade for music, a step down from the 70s, with the exception of a few good metal bands. But I don't subscribe to this view that it never gets any worse or better, that its a flat curve of quality. There are high points, low points and mid points like a sine wave. If you look at history it behaves like a wave too, everything is a wavefunction.

the 80,s was the best decade ever for chart music , only music snobs hate the 80,s

Bubs101 wrote: »
    It's hard to say just how true this statement is. Whenever some berk at a party is complaining about the music and you ask him what he likes his inevitable response is "you know, 70's stuff. Led Zeppelin". There seems to be an idiotic assumption among all of these people that Led Zeppelin are completely representitive of their era. They're not. They're one band.

Personally, I feel this decade has had quality coming out of it's ass but it's not been pigeonholed into one genre like every decade before has. It's been a great decade for rap for example.

while hip hop has been the foremost genre this decade just like dance music was in the nineties , rap has sold out and been completley mainstreamed , most pop music has fused hip hop to some degree this past ten years

• Advertisement

Rap/Hip-hop has been ok this decade. The late 80's and early 90's were its obvious peaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

I disagree. I think there's a much wider variety in sounds in Hiphop this decade than ever.

Even mainstream Artists like Kanye West or Outkast have taken the genre in new directions.

I think this decade will be known for the boundaries between genres dissapearing, rather than for any one genre.
    There's no longer a clear line between hiphop/dance/rock music, like there was in the 90's.

Blisterman wrote: »
    There's no longer a clear line between hiphop/dance/rock music, like there was in the 90's.

This is the most absurd statement yet. Errrrrr, Massive Attack? I suppose they were a indie rock band, right? Hmmm, Rage Against the Machine? Well, I suppose it was just pure metal, yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭cmpunk

I think rock is more around now then in the 90s the only bands that where new in Rock where green day and blink 182 but over the last 5 years we have got great Bands such as Jimmy eat world franz frerdinand lostprophets muse paramore and fall out boy is more then have got in years so i think with the emo thing was a return of rock so maybe some don't like but many do

So... Green Day and Blink 182 were the only rock bands of the 90s...

Do you notice the way that the genre of 90s "rock" bands that you mentioned fall roughly under the same umbrella of bands you listed for the 00s?

I guess that is why you believe the only 90s rock bands were as stated above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 289 ✭✭cmpunk

Ya they are and that fool Kurt from the early 90s so what do you class as music then ?

hithere10 wrote: »
    Ya they are and that fool Kurt from the early 90s so what do you class as music then ?

This won't end well.

Out of curiosity, how old are you?

hithere10 wrote: »

An artistic form of auditory communication incorporating instrumental or vocal tones in a structured and continuous manner.

This is the most absurd statement yet. Errrrrr, Massive Attack? I suppose they were a indie rock band, right? Hmmm, Rage Against the Machine? Well, I suppose it was just pure metal, yeah?

Yeah, but at the time they were exceptions. Now, nearly every artist is like that.

Blisterman wrote: »
    Yeah, but at the time they were exceptions. Now, nearly every artist is like that.

Another absurd statement. Bands seem to be just about the same as last decade, as far as classification goes. Just more 1980's sounds abound this decade, than anything else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Beerbreath

irish_bob wrote: »
    the 80,s was the best decade ever for chart music , only music snobs hate the 80,s

Spot on. People who complain about the 80's need to actually LISTEN to the sheer range and quality of music created during the decade. And yes, chart music was definitely at it's peak during the 80's

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

This thread is just getting retarded now. There will be no conclusive evidence of anything due to the subjective nature of music. A lot of stupid statements being thrown around though.

Beerbreath wrote: »
    Spot on. People who complain about the 80's need to actually LISTEN to the sheer range and quality of music created during the decade. And yes, chart music was definitely at it's peak during the 80's

as i always say , even crap pop music was good in the 80,s but thier was loads of quality pop too , madonna was at her peak , prince , michael jackson , the pet shop boys , even whitney houston was good back then , what pop acts in either the nineties or especially this decade compare to those giants

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

Heard the same things said about the 70s in the 80s the 80s in the 90s and the 90s in the 00s.

Some music ages well and others don't. Dire Straits being an example of a band people really respected but the actual sound they produced at the time has actually dated very badly.

The 80s being suddenly so liked is actually kind of strange to me as people for a long time thought it as the lost decade.

Kipperhell wrote: »
    Heard the same things said about the 70s in the 80s the 80s in the 90s and the 90s in the 00s.

Some music ages well and others don't. Dire Straits being an example of a band people really respected but the actual sound they produced at the time has actually dated very badly.

The 80s being suddenly so liked is actually kind of strange to me as people for a long time thought it as the lost decade.

mostly refered to as the lost decade in terms of fashion more than music

• Registered Users Posts: 5,177 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

as i always say , even crap pop music was good in the 80,s but thier was loads of quality pop too , madonna was at her peak , prince , michael jackson , the pet shop boys , even whitney houston was good back then , what pop acts in either the nineties or especially this decade compare to those giants

Oh jeez, the ultimate standards in cheesy superficial pop but I'll give you prince and the pet shop boys. The 80s were good for Metallica and Megadeth, thats it. Nowadays the old hits are mostly used for cringeworthy saturday night occassions. Yes there was some good cheese, like Take on Me, classic, but the problem with the 80s was the uniformity of the sound, everything was synthesized, everything that had any remote success in the charts had that 80s gorgonzola layered on top of it, connected to a yuppie gordon gecko greed is good aesthetic which debased music to a mere commercializiation antithetical to the logic of art.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭Kipperhell

mostly refered to as the lost decade in terms of fashion more than music

Yet the fashion is back too, with the fashion back so has the music comes back. I heard applied a lot to the music.

There is big move on the 80s as people are at the right age now. The revival cycle continues

On a side note the prog. rock music is forgotten by many yet was huge. The following was older and missed a lot of the revival cycle by not being the right age. Still surprised rap music doesn't sample it all the time as there are snippets all over the place that have a hook.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Some of my favourite albums have come from the Noughties.

Arcade Fire, Basement Jaxx, OutKast, Kanye West, D12, The Coral, Róisín Murphy, Republic of Loose, Nappy Roots, Jurassic 5, Lily Allen, Nas, M.I.A., MGMT, Royksopp, Linkin Park, Missy Elliott, Angie Stone, De La Soul, Clipse, Scarface, Prince have all made albums that I can listen to from start to finish (the closest thing to a definition of a classic album in my books).

It's easy to look back at a specific time and say "Ah, it was great" because it's very easy to forget all the dross from that era as the good stuff from that time is what's celebrated.

Agreed completely Halloween Jack.

A quick scan through my Mp3s shows nearly half of them from this decade. Some brilliant stuff among them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 Beerbreath

Oh jeez, the ultimate standards in cheesy superficial pop but I'll give you prince and the pet shop boys. The 80s were good for Metallica and Megadeth, thats it. Nowadays the old hits are mostly used for cringeworthy saturday night occassions. Yes there was some good cheese, like Take on Me, classic, but the problem with the 80s was the uniformity of the sound, everything was synthesized, everything that had any remote success in the charts had that 80s gorgonzola layered on top of it, connected to a yuppie gordon gecko greed is good aesthetic which debased music to a mere commercializiation antithetical to the logic of art.

Two great bands,yes, but what a moronic statement.

Advertisement