Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

anti static question

Options
  • 20-10-2009 10:39pm

I'm going to install some memory for a relative. I bought an anti static wrist band. What do I attach it to? I don't think there's a radiator or something like that near the computer. Would attaching it to a unpainted metal part of the pc case be alright? I've never done this before so any advice much appreciated please! :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

I'm going to install some memory for a relative. I bought an anti static wrist band. What do I attach it to? I don't think there's a radiator or something like that near the computer. Would attaching it to a unpainted metal part of the pc case be alright? I've never done this before so any advice much appreciated please! :)

Attach it to a part of the case away from any sensitive bits and don't manhandle the sensitive bits, and you'll be fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,813 ✭✭✭BaconZombie

Throw the band in the bin, they do more harm then good.
    Just touch something ground like the inner metal {un-painted} of the case to de-static yourself before handling the ram and you'll be grand.

Ram is not a static sensitive as most people believe, I used ram after it's rattled around in my backpack with no protection for a few month with no issues.
    I've even used ram that been left out in elements {wind and rain} for a few days...., good old days of Dumpster Diving.

Advertisement