Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Same photo, two crops

• 20-10-2009 10:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭

These were cut from the same shot...I'm pretty certain I know which one I prefer now but i'd be interested in other opinions.

D9BEBE2A91F241ED971404BBA81E409C.jpg

and

9203C4693F2044339103613E2FB95B52.jpg

I guess this is just an exercise in how different aspect ratios and crops can affect the outcome of a photograph. I did the second crop this evening having done the original scan through on Sunday eveing. I was a little surprised by how differently I viewed the photograph. I wasn't looking at any "other" photographs by "other" people the last two days - not had time - so i don't think it's influenced by something or anything I saw.

Any thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

definitly the 2nd its fantastic!

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Cosmo K

I prefer the second one, can't tell you why, it just looks better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Bucklesman

+1 for the second crop.

The rocks form a more symmetrical divide between the sky and the water. Also, I think the way the lines are going in the shot, it works better as a wider image.

Great shot OP!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I'd crop to the panorama but not quite as aggressively as you've done. I think maybe I'd just crop to get rid of the rocks along the bottom. Ideally i'd like to maintain the same aspect ratio as the first one, but cropping along the bottom would then require that you crop out some of the rock on the LHS which is a non starter, or maybe some of the lights on the RHS which wouldn't be great either seeing as how they currently march dramatically up into the corner. Any chance of a re-shoot ? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

The 2nd one for me too. The arc of lights to the right works better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I'd crop to the panorama but not quite as aggressively as you've done. I think maybe I'd just crop to get rid of the rocks along the bottom. Ideally i'd like to maintain the same aspect ratio as the first one, but cropping along the bottom would then require that you crop out some of the rock on the LHS which is a non starter, or maybe some of the lights on the RHS which wouldn't be great either seeing as how they currently march dramatically up into the corner. Any chance of a re-shoot ? :)

Yeah I'm going back this weekend if the weather cooperates. The tide will be different though which means the water will be different. I think I shot that with a 10-20 and didn't quite get the angle I wanted. If I did get a little lower then it might be possible to get away without the aggressive panorama.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

2nd all the way, much more appealing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

I looked many times and I may have gone for the 2nd if I hadn'tve seen the 1st but after seeing the 1st the 2nd looks viciously cropped, I also like the full reflection in #1.
    I'd go with Daire's view on a semi crop instead of the full crop, you'd still get the rock's full reflection.
    If this works out I'll vote for #3. :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yep, too much taken off the bottom in the second. though it'll be hard to take off the perfect amount due to the foreground rocks.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭moralproduction

the 2nd for me too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Second crop is almost nice picture :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

The 2nd one is definetly alot more interesting looking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

Looks like I'm almost the only one who really likes #1 and wouldn't crop anything there:o
    Maybe I'm biased as I live there and love those rocks in that corner especially.
    But still I think looking at the first line of rocks, then the second line and finally Sandycove leads nicely into the picture. Whereas in the second version I only come as far as the rocks and feel like running against a wall (if that makes any sense to you)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Masada

I agree on number 1. I dunno what it is but i kust think it looks better. :)

It would probably look really good in BW, or even just selective colour around the rocks and black and white everything else. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

#2 is great!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭rameire

Defo number 2!

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Advertisement