Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

[C&C] ZebraHead Concert

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

K, you asked for it. :p

#1 You can't see his eyes and I'm not mad on the crop, he is too central and I think this shot had the most potential if done right. The light bottom right is distracting too.
    #2 Just looks overblown and cropped way too tight.
    #3 I like the idea but the shadow of him is just too soft.
    #4 My fav of the 4 but that cheap hat he has on is distracting.

You have some pretty good ones on your flickr, the 4 you put up or all too similar in colour, you had some nice variants in your flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/melekalikimaka/4029617545/in/set-72157622503452639/
    He looks like a young Shane McGowan, ears and all!

Was this the main stage in The Academy or the lower floor one? I assume the main floor?
    The lights are dazzling, I'm there for The Buzzcocks on Friday night.
    I shot Rise Against there last year and the band/bouncers were jerks, were the bouncers more relaxed or did they throw the 3 song crap at ya?
    I'm hoping The Buzzcocks are not up their own arse like Rise Against are.
    I have a loan of Thonda's 24-70L and I'm bringing my 70-200L 2.8 IS.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

Was this the main stage in The Academy or the lower floor one? I assume the main floor?
    The lights are dazzling, I'm there for The Buzzcocks on Friday night.
    I shot Rise Against there last year and the band/bouncers were jerks, were the bouncers more relaxed or did they throw the 3 song crap at ya?
    I'm hoping The Buzzcocks are not up their own arse like Rise Against are.
    I have a loan of Thonda's 24-70L and I'm bringing my 70-200L 2.8 IS.

yeah main stage. bouncers are cool with me, i'm local crew for the academy and olympia and o2, so security all know me, one grabbed me to try shift a flight case at one point. the lightts are pretty good, alot better than academy 2, theyre just red and left on. my mad caddies set reflects that.

24-70 will be excellent, but i cant see any use for 70-200, your litrally under their noses??

For Rise against after the 3 song rule I went up to the balcony and got these b4 I was rumbled!

73549FD111034840A05DEC74B940087B-800.jpg

CB7A0F45A4F54CF596DE0CFAF11A88C6-800.jpg

01FE5B0F10BB4FA39B946F54DFC7A98E-800.jpg

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,686 Mod ✭✭✭✭melekalikimaka

ahh i see, yes well i cant be cheeky considering its photography name, and my crew name on the line :-(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I was at the gig last night and I saw a few people up the stage taking pics. I was curious how they would look, so thanks for sharing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 601 ✭✭✭RCNPhotos

I was doin that Rise Against gig too Animal, must have seen you so. Academy is soooo feckin tight at the front

RCNPhotos wrote: »
    soooo feckin tight at the front

thats what she said....

i'll get my coat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

are they strict on cameras in Academy?
    I was gonna try some balcony shots sometime

are they strict on cameras in Academy?
    I was gonna try some balcony shots sometime

http://static.boards.ie/vbulletin/images/smilies/pacman.yeah security are pretty tight there

• Advertisement

i'll get my coat

thats what she said!

i was shooting in academy2 last week with no problems, so its different for the main area?

i was shooting in academy2 last week with no problems, so its different for the main area?

yup alot more security round pit and in crowd, i got stopped with my camera twice til they saw pass last night

yup alot more security round pit and in crowd, i got stopped with my camera twice til they saw pass last night

do many photographers go out into the crowd after the 3 second rule to grab some more shots or is that unprofessional?

do many photographers go out into the crowd after the 3 second rule to grab some more shots or is that unprofessional?

some do... it is very unprofessional imo, could potentially get ya booted out and blacklisted... 3 songs is a long time when a single photo takes 125th of a second

some do... it is very unprofessional imo, could potentially get ya booted out and blacklisted... 3 songs is a long time when a single photo takes 125th of a second

the band is only warming up tho! Ive heard you can get special permission if you wanna do more than 3 songs but im not sure on that, you'd prob have to be mates with the band.

Ive got a gig comin up in November and it will be my first time in the photo pit(they have on there right?), It will be strange

I ofc disagree with Mel and 3 song rule.
    But we've had this out b4...
    And Kum yeah academy 2 is very diff to main academy, bouncers tend to stay at the door. Which brings me back to the more famous artists are luvvies and up their own ass.
    I'm delighted that 99% of my music is not held in this type of venue and I have a freebie/ pass for this which is the only reason I'm going.

I ofc disagree with Mel and 3 song rule.
    But we've had this out b4...

AH 90 per cent of bands, have a 3 song rule thats stuck to very stongly and likewise security issue and shooting post 3 song... your bands are a rare exception

for small gigs I'm there for the full set at the front of the crowd. now that I have my 135mm f2L I can move back a bit! I have a new technique where I select an autofocus point and hold up the camera above me and look at the viewfinder and get the point on my subject, Im tall with long arms so I can get nice shots like that

for small gigs I'm there for the full set at the front of the crowd. now that I have my 135mm f2L I can move back a bit! I have a new technique where I select an autofocus point and hold up the camera above me and look at the viewfinder and get the point on my subject, Im tall with long arms so I can get nice shots like that

with the pit at the academy 1, 50mm is even a bit too long... ya got anything wider? canon or nikon?

• Advertisement

I chose my music before I ever knew my bands were different! I am so lucky lucky lucky, I'm so lucky in love!
    *cough*

I chose my music before I ever knew my bands were different! I am so lucky lucky lucky, I'm so lucky in love!
    *cough*

One Man's Scrap, Another Man's Gold

hehe

i joke

yeah its handy alright. Mad Caddies was alright, very lax, but that was academy 2, and the trade off is the awful crap lights down there

I'd have to agree with Mel on the 3 song rule, suits me fine, don't see a problem with it. Plus as a fan I wouldn't want a photographer in my way every two minutes when I fought my way to the front.

And shooting over the 3 song rule would be unprofessional in my opinion. Plus MCD are very strict on it. There were two pretty well known (on the gig scene) photographers banned from Academy gigs last year over this I believe.

with the pit at the academy 1, 50mm is even a bit too long... ya got anything wider? canon or nikon?
    canon
    I sold my wide angle zoom! was thinking of selling on the 135L around christmas time and buying a 24mm f1.4L II, I dont like any of the canon wide angle non L primes, maybe I'd settle for 28mm f1.8 if I wanted to keep 135L

I do have a manual 28mm f2 tho!

I do have a manual 28mm f2 tho!

would be excellent, but manual focus can be hard to get into

Rcn I'd love to bring you to a proper gig and u'd be embarrased you ever uttered that last post ! Real gigs are total live for the moment no rules no bouncers, small venues, real booze, none of this rip off booze in plastic containers which are only a litre!!!

Rcn I'd love to bring you to a proper gig and u'd be embarresed you ever uttered that last post ! Real gigs are total live for the moment no rules no bouncers, small venues, real booze, none of this rip off booze in plastic containers which are only a litre!!!

stop now AH

not getting into this again with you. posioning posters with your 'its not a gig unless the venue smells of p1ss and the only lights a the headlights from harleys' lol

:-)

I can't help myself.

would be excellent, but manual focus can be hard to get into

Ive used it a bit on my canon eos 300v which has a poor quality viewfinder compared to my 1d but surprisingly most of my shots with it came out in focus, only problem is focus confirmation wont work on my digital, only seems to work on the film camera.

the new samyang 35mm f1.2 might be a very nice lens for canon, its f1.4 for all other mounts. Id get an eos ef-m slr especially for it, and it would prob be a good idea to use an angle finder with 2.5X mode on my dslr, dont wanna change my focus screen.

• Advertisement

I'd love to see pictures and hear details of these "real" gigs. Nonsense post in my opinion Animal.

Tag along to 1 if u think I'm making it up? baz Came to one and he'll vouch for what I said.

In fact if u won't which I assume u won't I'll throw up pics tommorow here from previous gigs, i'm in bed now on the iPhone!

Where did I say i thought you were making it up. I'll say again i'd love to see pics/details of one of these "real" gigs.

Tag along ? We let people in with double barrelled surnames. ;)

Right well I'm guessing since you're not answering the question by "real" gigs you mean gigs like the Kid Blunt one on your pix.ie, which I was meant to go to but Eager the eejit never got back to me haha. I just don't see where this "real" gig business comes from.

• Advertisement

Kidd blunt interesting gig, I took photos from every angle, I disconnected the power not even realising I'd done do as I fell of some container and knocked the power socket out, no abuse or no ejection from venue, just plugged straight back in, lots of boozing illegally, lots of sweat and good all round crack....if u were to utter 3 song rule for a tog there u'd be laughed at, it's all about fun u see, was ther any fights cos there were no bouncers... NO.

Btw that was a gig I wouldn't normally do as it's not my type of music but it was a landmark last gig by them and I like to have on record last bands gigs. Beaver is in a far better band now called divisions ruin.

Oh ps did u hear about the 1 were a tog fell asleep across a monitor for 2 hours while the bands played on.....my hearing has never been the same since... I say never the same since.
    Now I hope I've explained in enough detail the diff between a real live no bars hold gig and a stage managed one where ur treated like sheep....I know gigs were the bouncers won't even let u dance! That pic I got of ya man jumping off the stage to surf was his last moment, bouncers manhandled him out in seconds, poor kid. Excuse typos but iPhone is not quite as good as my desktop ! I don't edit most times

Advertisement