Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool V Manchester United Sunday 26th oct 2009 2.00pm (Mod note - #967)

• 20-10-2009 11:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭

current-liverpool-crest.jpg VERSUS 200px-Man_Utd_FC_.svg.png

I hope I have not started this too early.As a united fan we will never have a better chance to get revenge for last season as liverpool are having a very poor run. Saying that I have seen it many times in the past when a big team is playing bad and plays one of their main rivals they pull out a performance from no where, however if Gerard and Torres are out I think united will win 2-0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Liverpool will win. Playing terrible at the moment so they are but I just have a feeling they will win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

jebus

Vampireskiss I would have never guessed you were a utd fan :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Don't Manchester United have a game to play in Russia first??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Pool win a banker, rabbit from the hat time!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Crossing everything in the hope that Gerrard, Torres and Johnson will be fit.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

Locked for at least 24 hours,Utd still have a game before this one.

This is not the Liverpool or Utd forum.

Dub13

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Thread reopened now. Play nice and please remember a yellow card means a ban.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Im worried because this is a must win for liverpool imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Headshot wrote: »
    Im worried because this is a must win for liverpool imo

+1....although United will be seeking some revenge. If any of those things come into it

Expecting

VDS
    Evra
    Rio
    VIdic
    OShea

Fletcher
    Giggs
    Carrick/Anderson
    Valencia

Rooney
    Berbatov

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

May the best team win.:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

a lot depends here to me what the story is with Gerrard, Rooney & Torres.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

G'wan the draw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭prendy

Mr Alan wrote: »

i think more important is our defence? can we finally get back to keeping clean sheets, for me this has been the biggest change from last year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

true enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Mr Alan wrote: »

Gerrard and Torres, but why sure looked what happened last season.

Basicaly regardless of who is available this game can go either way. United going into with better form and confidence, Liverpool going in on the back of a bad run of games and possibly low on confidence.

Neither means much, the thing that gives me a bit of confidence is that I think Fergie will really really really want to win on Saturday and heap the pressure on Liverpool, and personally Benitez. Which hopefully means he goes 4-4-2 and trys to win the game rather than 4-5-1 and try draw or nick a win.

Liverpool may be more afraid of losing than trying to win.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I can see United coming from behind to win 2-1. Berbatov winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

FutureGuy wrote: »
    I can see United coming from behind to win 2-1. Berbatov winner.

There we have it lads, lump on, this guy knows the score. He's from the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

if Utd score early pools heads will drop, they are very low on confidence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭Paleface

Has draw written all over it. Liverpool cannot afford to lose again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

Hopefully Owen plays.................................And scores the winner :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Dancor wrote: »
    Hopefully Owen plays.................................And scores the winner
    Yep, an Own Goal would do nicely :)

United will want revenge, Liverpool just want a bloomin' win.

Defo a draw.

I reckon 4-4.

United are the last of the big 4 yet to draw 4-4 with Liverpool this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I think a draw is most likely.

Liverpool won't want to lose, and United don't need to win.

Although, Vidic looked a bit dodge last night, so Torres, if he can get the right service, could terrorise him.

That service depends on Gerrard. If Gerrard plays, he can't do what he's been doing all season, and that's dropping deep into the midfield to win posession, this isolates Torres.

If there is to be a decisive moment this match will be decided by a dodgy decision somewhere. A crazy red-card, a 50/50 penalty, something like that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Fromvert wrote: »
    There we have it lads, lump on, this guy knows the score. He's from the future.

Ah, yeah Fromvert, joke all you like, but we'll see who's laughing come Sunday*

*Almost certainly you!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,456 ✭✭✭kida

Des wrote: »
    If there is to be a decisive moment this match will be decided by a dodgy decision somewhere. A crazy red-card, a 50/50 penalty, something like that.

please God no :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

kida wrote: »
    please God no :p

Or another balloon incident.

I've heard the beach set has sold out, apparently United fans have been buying them up.

But I'm hoping for a 'pool win, Lucas to get the winner in the 91st minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Can't wait :)

I'd certainly have United as favourites, but form can go out the window in these kinda games, so I'm not as confident as others.

I would think our formation would be something like......

VDS
    O'Shea----Rio----Vida
    Evra (Fabio if Pat is injured)

Fletcher
    Anderson
    Valencia
    Giggs
    Berbatov

Rooney

Certainly Giggs and Fletcher should start if available.

Owen to come on at 65 minutes and score to make it 0-6 :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

this is liverpools year... :D

cmon utd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,049 ✭✭✭Unearthly

I'm usually one of the biggest optimists for Man Utd when it comes to big games, but I just have that feeling that the Liverpool players will game raise and win this match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Des wrote: »
    Although, Vidic looked a bit dodge last night, so Torres, if he can get the right service, could terrorise him.

I'm still baffled as to why Vidic and not Ferdinand marked him last year. Ferdinand was the faster of the two by miles, vidic is better in the air, but with Torres' speed, why didn't Ferdinand mark him?

Im not saying Ferdinand's a better defender, just faster.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

I'm still baffled as to why Vidic and not Ferdinand marked him last year. Ferdinand was the faster of the two by miles, vidic is better in the air, but with Torres' speed, why didn't Ferdinand mark him?

well in fairness when you have 2 centre backs they will tend to 'mark' a player when theyre on their own side of the defence. If say Rio was playing as the right sided centre half which he tends to do then if Torres peels off or plays mostly on the right side of their attack then Rio leaves him go and lets his other centre back deal with him. If Rio was to always mark him then he would be getting dragged out of position too much.

its obviously different say from goal kicks, where vida will tend to move into a position where he can attack the ball and rio will sweep up behind him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Not having Rio as the "more free" centre half will unbalance the team I'd imagine. That and the quality of ball coming from the back four would be lowered.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Smegball

Really nervous about this one, don't have a clue how it will go tbh.

Can see a Pool win unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

The only thing that Liverpool have going for them for this match is home advantage, everything else points to a likely United win if not a draw.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Or another balloon incident.

I've heard the beach set has sold out, apparently United fans have been buying them up.

138407600.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I'm strangely confident about this game as a Liverpool fan, maybe it's just because I can't bare to fathom that we'll be 10 points behind Man U come 6pm on Sunday. :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

United (decent enough form) > Liverpool (worst form since 1987)

No brainer really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭CoachBoone

The only thing that Liverpool have going for them for this match is home advantage, everything else points to a likely United win if not a draw.
    miralize wrote: »
    United (decent enough form) > Liverpool (worst form since 1987)

No brainer really.

Agree.

Liverpool have a very poor recent run of results, players just back from injury, increased pressure on the manager, senior players and team as a whole.

United have, a good run of form, a clean bill of health and no real pressure only that of pride and of a point to prove after last year.

Home advantage for Liverpool is massive though. As it is for any team.

Anyone fans thinking a Liverpool win is likely are going with their hearts and not their heads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

Can't believe a good few people are tipping Liverpool for the win.... mental.

They are in shambles at the back and with set pieces at the moment, 1-3 to United. :(

With at least two goals from free kicks/corners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Holsten wrote: »
    Can't believe a good few people are tipping Liverpool for the win.... mental.

They are in shambles at the back and with set pieces at the moment, 1-3 to United. :(

With at least two goals from free kicks/corners.

And Fletcher being the one who rises above them all to head them in!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭messrs

United are going to want to win, Fergie will want 3 points and wont settle for draw, plus will want revenge for 4 - 1 last season.
    Im going for 2 - 1 Utd with Owen scoring the winning goal :)
    C'mon Utd!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

2-0 to United -at least. :(. We're just s***e at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭Horsefumbler

Pool to win if xabi alonso is playing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Bobalicious93

Pool to win if xabi alonso is playing.

Looks like we have it in the bag then...

All things going to plan, I'd expect to see this team:

VDS(Thank god)
    --JOS----Vida----Rio
    Evra---
    --Val----Fletch---Ando--Sir Ryan-
    Wazza---Berba

2-1 win. Owen to repeat his cameo v City.

Please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

2-0 home win and Liverpool to go on a charge for the title.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Whats the latest on Gerrard,Torres,Riera and Glen Johnson?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Not looking forward to this game.

Liverpool are in poor form, but I haven't been massively impressed with United laterly either though - Bolton and Sunderland performances were poor and the CSKA game was a nothing performance.

Rooney and Fletcher could be out, which would be massive blows to United.

I do think United do have it in them to beat Liverpool, but Liverpool have it in them to beat United too, so this game could go either way.

Regardless, I can't see United going 442 in this game. No chance of it imo. will be 451.

Fully fit, I would say it would be the following:

...............VDS

O'Shea..Vidic..Rio..Evra
    Fletcher..Carrick..Anderson
    Valencia..............Giggs
    .............Rooney

depending on injuries though, that can change obviously.

Giggs dropping into a more central position (if Fletcher is out) with maybe Rooney out wide and Berbs through the middle. If ROoney is out could see the same forweard line that we saw yesterday - Valanica, Nani and Berbatov.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Vampireskiss

the CSKA game was a nothing performance.

How can you say that, its just so untrue.Did you even watch the game. I thought united were very good last night. I mean we are talking about the uefa cup champions in spartak after all and united were in control for most of the match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

How can you say that, its just so untrue.Did you even watch the game. I thought united were very good last night. I mean we are talking about the uefa cup champions in spartak after all and they were in control for most of the match

we didn't do anything. We nullified them, which was good. but we still looked a bit suspect defensively (both Vidic and Rio are well short of form imo) but going forward we did precious little for most of the game imo. A very dull performance. Professional and mature, as Fergie would say, but it was a dull performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

How can you say that, its just so untrue.Did you even watch the game. I thought united were very good last night. I mean we are talking about the uefa cup champions in spartak after all and united were in control for most of the match

No we are not.

Shaktar Donetsk (Ukraine) are the UEFA Cup Champions.
    CSKA Mowcow are the team United beat last night.
    Spartak Moscow have nothing to do with anything...

:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Is Fletcher out?

I think we'll play 4 5 1. with Scholes, Fletcher, Anderson ,Valencia and giggs the preferred choice in midfield.

• Advertisement
Advertisement