Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool V Manchester United Sunday 26th oct 2009 2.00pm (Mod note - #967)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Kev_ps3 wrote: »
    Twat:rolleyes:
    1 - Utd have been poor so far this season? Obviously, ive seen the games
    2 - We have bought poorly - Anderson, Valencia, Nani, Berbatov etc. Not good enough.
    3- Selling our best players - Tevez, Ronaldo

Step away from the computer Kev.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Dave! wrote: »
    They weren't today, they have been for the majority of the season. Let's not throw the baby out with the bath-water, Berbatov has been our most creative player this season.

Doesn't do anything worthwhile with the ball, gimme a break...

Surely you must admit his attitude the last cpouple of games hasn't been right. I'm not one for mindless player bashing and I've been prepared to give Berba a chance more than most, but he's really p*ssed me off the last few games.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Berbatov was terrible today. Absolutely and undeniably terrible.

He was lazier than he was at any stage last season, he was pissy, he didnt battle.

He didnt want to know. Disgraceful performance from him.

Never said he was good today, he was quite poor
    flahavaj wrote: »
    Surely you must admit his attitude the last cpouple of games hasn't been right. I'm not one for mindless player bashing and I've been prepared to give Berba a chance more than most, but he's really p*ssed me off the last few games.:mad:

Of course. Today and the last match (when he was up front on his own) he was terrible. Other than that he's had a great season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

i would love to see berbatov and babel on the same team :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Never really rated berbatov tbh, i think UTD should look to buy a striker in the january transfer window

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

rossie1977 wrote: »

Thats hardly fair, Babel never gets a chance where as Berbatov starts almost every game

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

monkey9 wrote: »
    Who'a getting carried away?? We're happy with the win, yeah. Huge win cos you could imagine the headlines tomorrow if we lost!!!

All that's happened in this thread is NTLBell sh!ting on as usual about the ref robbing Utd, someone else calling Liverpool sc*m and a great contribution to LuckyLloyd's picture of Anfield, calling it a kip!!!!

I think you kind of read it like I was having a dig mate.

Far from it, I was just saying like you beat us, its your day and you are entitled to enjoy it. I didnt mean as in carried away like winning the league or anything like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

thegen wrote: »
    Apologies Headshot, you are correct. It is not the majority but the minority. Even still the lads admitting Liverpool were better have to throw in the refs performance.

the ref was a shambles, the amount of persistent fouling by Lucas was a joke, masch was also the same before finally he got a yellow card.

carra should of been sent off,also vidic should have got a straight red card for his last man defending.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

rossie1977 wrote: »
    2 years time they will lead the Wigan attack.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

prendy wrote: »
    lucas??

he made alot of tackles, none reckless.

carrick should be just getting out of his pocket about now.

Just to be clear i think Liverpool fully deserved the win, im not going to be bitter about it, they outplayed it, was stupid that carrick stayed on the pitch for us but on the other hand Carragher certainly should have been sent off, two last man tackles and a host of other fouls, where im coming from about lucas is the fact he made at least 8-10 fouls it ruined the chances of united scoring, that is professional fouling certainly should have been sent off too.

Now back to being rational even if those two had of been sent off im not sure united still would have scored, we struggled to create chances and the ones we did create were dealt with well with carragher and agger. Not to take anything away from Liverpool but if there had of been a different referee and already interesting match would have been even more interesting.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Says something about the man, huh?

Rafa made a good decision to drop Skrtel and play Agger with Carra. It doesn't look like Carra fancies Skrtel and seems to always be trying to cover for him, leading to errors and space developing. With Agger the entire defence seemed a little more composed.

Although Agger is a little lightweight, he was suited to todays game as Utd haven't really got a tough CF to throw his weight around. Combine that with Masch and Lucas bossing the midfield and it all came together.

Lets not get carried away, Chelsea and Arsenal have looked by far the best sides so far this season. Personally I don't fancy utd to keep pulling late winners out of the bag and expect them to drift off the pace. Of course that will likely come back to haunt me and they could have easily sneaked a draw with the late chance off the bar from valencia, although Reina got close to it, so possibly would have saved it if on target.

As for Liverpool, we need to start seeing more goals from elsewhere in the team, great chances for Kuyt and Aurelio that should have been finished. Torres made the difference with his great finish, but it was laughable that Sky gave him man of the match.
    It had to be Lucas, Masch, Carra or Benny. I'd have given it to Lucas, he broke the play up really well and got forward well too. Not impressed with all this talk that he should have had a few yellows, most of the frees given against him and Masch were highly debatable. Eg Carrick giving the ball away on edge of box, and diving over Lucas' leg afterward. Very surprised to hear that utd fans didn't think the ref gave them anything, he gave than debatable free after debatable free in the middle quarter of the pitch every time they coughed up the ball and then hit the deck afterward.

Good win, vital for Liverpool to keep us in it. Not such a big game for utd as it was for us and it showed. Big game away to Fulham now, need to back this up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Alex has to go.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

Headshot wrote: »
    the ref was a shambles, the amount of persistent fouling by Lucas was a joke, masch was also the same before finally he got a yellow card.

carra should of been sent off,also vidic should have got a straight red card for his last man defending.

Headshot putting aside the refs performance as an issue, UTD were terrible.

It's been a good 4 minutes since someone has posted in here, what's going on...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

givyjoe81 wrote: »
    Ha, you mean was!

No, we're champions until May, I'll forgive you though because it has been twenty odd years since Liverpool won it so you might have forgotten that.;)

• Advertisement

Headshot putting aside the refs performance as an issue, UTD were terrible.

I know we were terrible but I still like to see some consistency from the Ref

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It's been a good 4 minutes since someone has posted in here, what's going on...?

Everyone's banned

I know we were terrible but I still like to see some consistency from the Ref

He was consistent. Yellow for both Carra an Vidic when last man. Mascherano had to go, consistent fouling. Any stat on the foul to card ratio for the game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,680 ✭✭✭Stargate

Dave , all watching the Arsenal game :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

GET IN THERE!!!!
    Delighted with that,so special after 4 defeats to beat utd and beat them well.
    Lucas and smascher totally dominated midfield, to be fair fletcher was a massive loss.
    Torres terrorized Ferdinand and Vidic all day long without being at his brilliant best.
    Vidic will be having nightmares about El Nino again after that game :)
    BUT at the end of the day i just wish Pool could show the same passion ,aggression and pace for every game, thats the difference between them and Manc i feel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I'm not :)

He was consistent. Yellow for both Carra an Vidic when last man. Mascherano had to go, consistent fouling. Any stat on the foul to card ratio for the game?

Carragher did it twice and didnt get sent off, Vidic did it once and should have got a straight red along with Carragher too

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Everyone's banned
    Probably for the best

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

As much as it pains me to say it,Liverpool thouroughly deserved the win today.Congrats to the pool fans on here,enjoy the victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,055 ✭✭✭ParkRunner

The Pool fully deserved the win, they were by far the better team on the day. O'Shea and Valencia didnt link up well at all and Berbatov as always on the big stage didnt turn up.

you dont know the rules

its an automatic red card for both

curry-muff wrote: »
    Carragher did it twice and didnt get sent off, Vidic did it once and should have got a straight red along with Carragher too

Sorry, I must have missed Carragher's two last man fouls. Did miss some of the game

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Couldnt resist :D

you dont know the rules

its an automatic red card for both

We are talking about consistency here, not the rules. Agreed both should have walked for last man fouls. Althought both were last man Vidic's tackle was nearly on the half way line and Owen was going away from the goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Carragher was not last man back and anyway Owen was going away from goals, and Owen gave Carragher a little nudge to try and get around him in the first place, therefore it actually should have been a free out and nothing more.

Terrible refereeing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,563 ✭✭✭kinaldo

without mentioning any names, has anyone seen the most annoying poster on this soccer forum around here lately?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

thegen wrote:
    Owen was going away from the goal.
    Owen was going away from goals

Yes with his team 1-0 down in the dying minutes, Michael Owen had a cunning plan to get his team back into the game - to run the ball into the corner flag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

kinaldo wrote: »
    without mentioning any names, has anyone seen the most annoying poster on this soccer forum around here lately?

There are various people who can stake a claim for that title, and they are all supporters of a certain club, so given the day I doubt they'll be showing their face anytime soon. ;)

We are talking about consistency here, not the rules. Agreed both should have walked for last man fouls. Althought both were last man Vidic's tackle was nearly on the half way line and Owen was going away from the goal.

he still wouldve got a shot on target so yes carra was last man back
    Carragher was not last man back and anyway Owen was going away from goals, and Owen gave Carragher a little nudge to try and get around him in the first place

lol

Lol so if torres got sent off for scoring and so did ngog would that make it correct because its "consistent"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Surprised by the lack of fight in United, they just looked spineless. Very unusual for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

Absolutely delighted with the performance and result today... i said everyone had to play well and they did.

Lucas did really well today... sure he fouled a lot and prob should have been booked but none of them were reckless and some weren't even fouls imo... the only thing i would say is that he has to work on his shooting.. fair enough about the one on his left leg but early on in the game there was no pressure and he had a really poor shot, has to improve there.

Carra and agger were immense in particular carra, probably MOTM. He should have gotten 2 yellow cards but the last foul wasn't last man imo and wasn't a straight red.. same as Vidic really.

Great finishes by both strikers... Really happy for N'gog to get that goal..

United looked threatening when Owen came on.. i was absolutely sh**ing it that he'd contribute to a goal in some form. thankfully he didn't but he was close!

I just want to know United fans opinion on the carrick scholes partnership? I don't think i've ever seen them perform well together...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Yes with his team 1-0 down in the dying minutes, Michael Owen had a cunning plan to get his team back into the game - to run the ball into the corner flag.
    :o:o:o

Id say you would have a nightmare if dropped off in the woods with a map, a compass, a big red sign telling you which way to go to get out of the woods

HE WAS RUNNING TOWARDS THE CORNER

Not due to any particular game plan, due to the way the ball broke and play was developing!

Seriously:o

Surprised by the lack of fight in United, they just looked spineless. Very unusual for them.

To be fair they had plenty of fight in them, they always threatened, even before the first goal went in (after the goal they had me literally biting nails). They gave it their all, it just didn't work out for them.

• Advertisement

tok9 wrote: »
    Absolutely delighted with the performance and result today... i said everyone had to play well and they did.

Lucas did really well today... sure he fouled a lot and prob should have been booked but none of them were reckless and some weren't even fouls imo... the only thing i would say is that he has to work on his shooting.. fair enough about the one on his left leg but early on in the game there was no pressure and he had a really poor shot, has to improve there.

Carra and agger were immense in particular carra, probably MOTM. He should have gotten 2 yellow cards but the last foul wasn't last man imo and wasn't a straight red.. same as Vidic really.

Great finishes by both strikers... Really happy for N'gog to get that goal..

United looked threatening when Owen came on.. i was absolutely sh**ing it that he'd contribute to a goal in some form. thankfully he didn't but he was close!

I just want to know United fans opinion on the carrick scholes partnership? I don't think i've ever seen them perform well together...

I was thinking about replying to your whole post but as im a utd fan ill just look at the last part.

You either havent watched Utd the past 3 years where we have won the league in all 3 or you have no grasp of football. Sure, Scholes isnt what he was but it must be that you never watch utd.

Dont use 1 game as a sample.

EDIT: not really for debate in this thread though I guess if its not just purely based on one performance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

United fan here. Just wanted to say congrats to the Liverpool fans here. They were by far the better team today and deserved a win (a one-goal win mind you!).

It's horrible to see how ungracious some United fans on here are. Yes, the ref was inconsisent in his decisions; how Lucas escaped that game without a yellow card will remain a mystery to me. Maybe Carragher should have gone for the tackle on Owen, maybe not. The fact is that he didn't. But all of that is just skirting around the fact that United simply weren't good enough today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

elshambo wrote: »
    :o:o:o

Id say you would have a nightmare if dropped off in the woods with a map, a compass, a big red sign telling you which way to go to get out of the woods

HE WAS RUNNING TOWARDS THE CORNER

Not due to any particular game plan, due to the way the ball broke and play was developing!

Seriously:o

No mate I've been to Specsavers unlike a lot of the Liverpool fans on this thread. ;)

He wasn't running towards the corner he just needed to take a touch that's all. Honestly Liverpool fans do themselves a disservice by not even conceding this point.

You could see it in Carragher's reaction.

Carragher: "Ref no, for f*ck's sake!"

(Ref gives yellow card)

Carragher: (trying not to laugh): "Oh...eh...oh damn. That's...harsh, ref."

It was a joke.

No mate I've been to Specsavers unlike a lot of the Liverpool fans on this thread. ;)

I'm sure you had those same perfect glasses on for Howard Webb's penalty awarding against Spurs last season, and for Van Persie's disallowed goal this season. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

Optician says i dont need glasses and probably never will!

You could see it in Carragher's reaction.

Carragher: "Ref no, for f*ck's sake!"

(Ref gives yellow card)

Carragher: (trying not to laugh): "Oh...eh...oh damn. That's...harsh, ref."

Because he was claiming a foul for Owen pulling his shirt (he was btw)
    Or did you cheap glasses fog up slightly for that bit? :eek:

Great result, well deserved.
    Have to admit I was a bit concerned at half time, Liverpool had so much possession in the first half yet bar Aurelio's effort didn't really threaten. Just goes to show Torres' class though, give that boy an inch and he'll score.
    I expected United to come out for the second half all guns blazing. They had a few decent spells but overall I wasn't impressed by them at all.

I don't believe Carra should have been sent off any more than Berbatov's wrestle and ripping of Kuyt's shirt in the box was a penalty.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Get in there Liverpool, now if you can perform like that in Lyon that will get the Champions League group back up and running again.

As for NTLbell why are people replying to him?

Better team won, Owen Carragher tussle i think was no worse the the Berbatov Kuyt in the United area was a 50 50 Owen started the tussle and fell over when pressure was put on him.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Meh it was a yellow man, could of been a red, but lots would say there were other players, he wasn't going to the corner flad you are correct but he was definately pushing out wide anyway no diversions needed, thoroughly deserved win.

Let's get Gerrard and Aquilani into that team/squad and see what we can do. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    I was thinking about replying to your whole post but as im a utd fan ill just look at the last part.

You either havent watched Utd the past 3 years where we have won the league in all 3 or you have no grasp of football. Sure, Scholes isnt what he was but it must be that you never watch utd.

Dont use 1 game as a sample.

EDIT: not really for debate in this thread though I guess if its not just purely based on one performance.

I'm not saying that they are poor players but as a partnership i've never really been impressed by them and thats not just because of today. i can't remember the particular games but i have said it before. I just think they are both too similar and i was pretty surprised that anderson didn't get a game

tok9 wrote: »
    I'm not saying that they are poor players but as a partnership i've never really been impressed by them and thats not just because of today. i can't remember the particular games but i have said it before. I just think they are both too similar and i was pretty surprised that anderson didn't get a game

While I agree that we needed either ando or fletch, and with flecth out it was then obviously ando, i just took exception to a certain point.

We've won leagues on the back of Carrick and Scholes playing together and this is not possible with a midfield pairing that cant work together. For some reason Carrick is not getting games as much this season and I hate to say it but Scholesy is just becoming more and more inconsitent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Elonex

From a neutral point of view i can't believe Carragher didn't go. It was blatant by Carragher and he knew what he was doing. Having said that, United deserved nothing from that game and Liverpool were very worthy winners. United are really lacking something or someone at the minute.

• Advertisement
Advertisement