Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool V Manchester United Sunday 26th oct 2009 2.00pm (Mod note - #967)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

tok9 wrote: »
    I'm not saying that they are poor players but as a partnership i've never really been impressed by them and thats not just because of today. i can't remember the particular games but i have said it before. I just think they are both too similar and i was pretty surprised that anderson didn't get a game

Agree with this. I have no problem with Scholes and Carrick in a certain type of game but Liverpool at Anfield was always going to be a battle and I would have had Anderson in there. There must have been something up with him because to not bring him on at any stage would be a mental decision from Ferguson. Would have given us that bit of bite and urgency that we really lacked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

nkay1985 wrote: »
    United fan here. Just wanted to say congrats to the Liverpool fans here. They were by far the better team today and deserved a win (a one-goal win mind you!).

It's horrible to see how ungracious some United fans on here are. Yes, the ref was inconsisent in his decisions; how Lucas escaped that game without a yellow card will remain a mystery to me. Maybe Carragher should have gone for the tackle on Owen, maybe not. The fact is that he didn't. But all of that is just skirting around the fact that United simply weren't good enough today.

liverpool being the better team is not in question. they were, no one on this thread has said otherwise.

the ref didn't give the decisions (not liverpools problem, no one said it was)

BUT THE POINT, WAIT FOR IT.

if the decisions were made correctly (not one, NUMEROUS)

THEN

the result might have been different, (liverpool being the better team is irrelvant here, write it down)

as i said i've no problem with getting beat e.g. the 4-1 liverpool deserved it and won fairly.

today they might not have if the ref was on the ball.

he wasn't so are we bitter that the ref didn't have a good game?

of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Sorta wierd the way nobodys mentioned the fact giggs shoulda had a penalty too :eek:

Elonex wrote: »
    United are really lacking something or someone at the minute.

That someone and something is at Real Madrid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Elonex wrote: »
    From a neutral point of view i can't believe Carragher didn't go. It was blatant by Carragher and he knew what he was doing. Having said that, United deserved nothing from that game and Liverpool were very worthy winners. United are really lacking something or someone at the minute.

roy%20keane.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

Agree with this. I have no problem with Scholes and Carrick in a certain type of game but Liverpool at Anfield was always going to be a battle and I would have had Anderson in there. There must have been something up with him because to not bring him on at any stage would be a mental decision from Ferguson. Would have given us that bit of bite and urgency that we really lacked.

Fergie never seems to like playing Ando midweek for a full 90 and then at a weekend match too. Its something that annoys me as at his age he should be able to manage 3 games a week at a high intensity. As I said, either Ando or Fletch need to start in the big games where we wont have as much possession as say a stoke where scholes was the right player to run the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,160 ✭✭✭tok9

fair enough... i said like many others that fletcher was a big loss. He's the only guaranteed starter in that united midfield imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

flahavaj wrote: »
    Carrick, sadly, was exposed again today.
    This.

United played shìte today. Some United fans will blame the strikers and wingers, some will blame the ref (who did have a shocker but the end result was still fair). Some really retarded United fans will blame our keeper and centre backs. Liverpool fans will claim their team worked harder.

But the truth is United threw this opportunity away. We failed to hold onto the ball and build decent attacks. Our main attacking plan seemed to be long balls to the front two and then hope for the best. By failing to get the ball down and actually build attacks patiently we failed to properly test the 'pool defence. We played into their hands by only playing this as an end to end slugging match. With Torres, they always had a good chance in that sort of game.

Carrick was useless today, when we were in possession. He didn't show for the ball nearly enough and whenever he did get the ball, in most cases, he was either too slow to use it or gave it away with a chancy first time pass. occasionally the first time pass came off and occasionally he was fouled and we got a free but overall his contribution to our build up play was pitifull.

Scholes wasn't at his best today either but in fairness he was beside the floundering Carrick. Dear god i hate when Carrick starts big games.

curry-muff wrote: »
    Sorta wierd the way nobodys mentioned the fact giggs shoulda had a penalty too :eek:

Yeah maybe but I think we (utd) should be looking more at the bad performance we put in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,654 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

Great result. Can't believe Carra didn't go!? Also, I think it's clear that Masch wants out......he just isn't trying imo.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Headshot wrote: »
    lifes_a_beach.jpg
    92332456.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

roy%20keane.jpg

tbh, put Keane circa 1998 - 2002 on this Liverpool team and they probably win the league.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

funny thing was the KOP were throwing must of the balls in

btw Id trade a beach ball for berba today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

givyjoe81 wrote: »
    Ha, you mean was!

Umm nope, last time i checked we are still reigning champions ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Yeah maybe but I think we (utd) should be looking more at the bad performance we put in.

wow - an introspective utd supporter - didnt actually think these were still around

tok9 wrote: »
    fair enough... i said like many others that fletcher was a big loss. He's the only guaranteed starter in that united midfield imo.

yeah i agree. I mean 2 games he hasnt played are Pool and Burnley and its no real coincidence. We really need his hussle in the centre of the park.

Also, I think it's clear that Masch wants out......he just isn't trying imo.

:confused:

Alex's team selection even made Lucas look a half decent player - Grazias Alex

john47832 wrote: »
    wow - an introspective utd supporter - didnt actually think these were still around

I certainly will not be going OTT over one game. Still in a good position in the league, won all 3 european matches (2 tough away ones).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Pro. F wrote: »
    United played shìte today.

Of course they were, and I'm guessing if the weren't then they would have walked this game right? :rolleyes: I'm sorry to have a go but it pisses me off, what you're saying here is exactly what the likes of Dunphy, Cascarino, Haughton, Whelan, Gray et al will say tomorrow in their columns. I.E. Liverpool winning the game wasn't because they genuinely deserved it but because Man U didn't turn up. Pathetic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

elshambo wrote: »
    Optician says i dont need glasses and probably never will!

You must go to the one Arsene Wenger goes to!
    elshambo wrote:
    Because he was claiming a foul for Owen pulling his shirt (he was btw)
    Or did you cheap glasses fog up slightly for that bit? :eek:

Yeah that must have been the reason.

article-0-06124C84000005DC-464_306x488.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Great result. Can't believe Carra didn't go!? Also, I think it's clear that Masch wants out......he just isn't trying imo.

if anything he tried too hard.

Mascherano may want to leave, and i'd wager he probably will next summer if Barca come calling. But his commitment should not be in question. Him and lucas never stopped running today

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    Of course they were, and I'm guessing if the weren't then they would have walked this game right? :rolleyes: I'm sorry to have a go but it pisses me off, what you're saying here is exactly what the likes of Dunphy, Cascarino, Haughton, Whelan, Gray et al will say tomorrow in their columns. I.E. Liverpool winning the game wasn't because they genuinely deserved it but because Man U didn't turn up. Pathetic.

WHAT?

how can you take exception to what he said. We played ****e, that cant really be called into question.

When you add that to the fact that Pool played well then the deserved result was the outcome we saw.

Fergie never seems to like playing Ando midweek for a full 90 and then at a weekend match too. Its something that annoys me as at his age he should be able to manage 3 games a week at a high intensity. As I said, either Ando or Fletch need to start in the big games where we wont have as much possession as say a stoke where scholes was the right player to run the game.

Yeah he's definitely got some kind of worries about him. You'd have to wonder what it is. And if he knew he wasn't happy to play him midweek and today, he shouldn't have played him against CSKA IMO.

Agreed. It's the standard bs dragged up every time we beat any decent team by clueless pundits and sky sports generation fans the world over.

• Advertisement

One of the most consistently frustrating aspects of football analysis. You don't play football in a vacuum. A team's performance is a function of how effective their opponent's gameplan is, how efficiently they close them down and deny them space and time on the ball.

WHAT?

how can you take exception to what he said. We played ****e, that cant really be called into question.

When you add that to the fact that Pool played well then the deserved result was the outcome we saw.

I don't think you played ****e. It was an even game where both team were threatening until the first goal. Then when that went in Man U put even more immense pressure on, I was literally biting my nails. Just because you didn't hammer a fellow Top 4 team does not mean you played ****e.

Yeah he's definitely got some kind of worries about him. You'd have to wonder what it is. And if he knew he wasn't happy to play him midweek and today, he shouldn't have played him against CSKA IMO.

Maybe he was a bit more sure at the time that Fletch would be available and so allowed Ando to play midweek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭elshambo

You must go to the one Arsene Wenger goes to!

Yeah that must have been the reason.

article-0-06124C84000005DC-464_306x488.jpg

:p
    Good lad!:p

god my I_list is getting some hammering today :p

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    tbh, put Keane circa 1998 - 2002 on this Liverpool team and they probably win the league.

In fairness put Keane c 1998-2002 into any decent team and he'd have the potential to turn them into champions! The effect he had on that United side can never be under-estimated.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

Overreact much?

United were sh*te.

He never said anything about whether Liverpool deserved the win, or not. He was talking about United and making very valid points, maybe because hes a United fan and interested in diuscussing their failings rather than Liverpool's strengths.

Hardly a reason to have a go in all fairness.

Ironic this really, coming from the guy who spent the whole of last week bemoaning his own teams failings.

Or are you just being fickle again?;)

You're making a valid point about football analysis, but having a ago at Pro F while doing so is a bit much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Seriously, wtf are you talking about. United played ****e and Liverpool outplayed us what's so hard to understand?

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    One of the most consistently frustrating aspects of football analysis. You don't play football in a vacuum. A team's performance is a function of how effective their opponent's gameplan is, how efficiently they close them down and deny them space and time on the ball.

Agreed. United did play sh1te but that was because we weren't allowed to play well!
    Maybe he was a bit more sure at the time that Fletch would be available and so allowed Ando to play midweek.

I don't know. Four days for him to go from being sure Fletch could play to leaving him out altogether? Just seems like such an un-Ferguson-like mistake.

I don't think you played ****e. It was an even game where both team were threatening until the first goal. Then when that went in Man U put even more immense pressure on, I was literally biting my nails. Just because you didn't hammer a fellow Top 4 team does not mean you played ****e.

I completely disagree. In saying we were ****e it doesnt take anything away from Pool. i also acknowledged you played well and deserved to win.

We lacked ideas, our passing was poor for most of the game, for some reason our defence looks shakey, we didnt play with any decent tempo. So much was missing from our game and of course part of the credit goes to Pool for closing down well. I really dont think it was an even game. You had more and the better of the chances and I dont think we really put too much pressure on you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

great win today.

lucas, great.

carragher, great.

torres raping the two boyos again, great.

Rafa out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭thegen

curry-muff wrote: »
    Lol so if torres got sent off for scoring and so did ngog would that make it correct because its "consistent"

Lost me there:rolleyes:

Smegball wrote: »
    Can't wait until May to see Liverpool trophyless :)
    :o oh dear

I don't know. Four days for him to go from being sure Fletch could play to leaving him out altogether? Just seems like such an un-Ferguson-like mistake.

Maybe if we have a greater idea of why Fletch was out it may tell us. He may have worsened the injury in training. We dont know really but I did want one of Ando/Fletch in this game, especially with only 2 central midfielders.

Vidic profile just updated on United's website.
    Vid2.jpg

Overreact much?

United were sh*te.

I don't think I'm overreacting, whether you like it or not saying your team was ****e does suggests that you believe the result would have been in your favour had Man U played better. And as I outlined earlier, I don't believe you played ****e, Man U constantly threatened, especially after the first goal.
    He never said anything about whether Liverpool deserved the win, or not. He was talking about United and making very valid points, maybe because hes a United fan and interested in diuscussing their failings rather than Liverpool's strengths.

Wasn't really having a go at Pro F, that's why I only highlighted one line from his whole post. It represented what many pundits will be saying tomorrow and I think it's very unfair.
    Ironic this really, coming from the guy who spent the whole of last week bemoaning his own teams failings.

Or are you just being fickle again?;)

I really spent the whole of last week bemoaning my team? Shocking, here's me thinking I only made one negative post in the Liverpool superthread after Lyon beat us. :eek:

• Advertisement

personally, i dont think Utd were any worse than they have been the majority of this season so far.

Wasn't really having a go at Pro F, that's why I only highlighted one line from his whole post. It represented what many pundits will be saying tomorrow and I think it's very unfair.

Oh, in light of this fair enough. I and I assume the other poster thought you were having a go at specifically what he said (with you responding to just that aspect). Most on here have not said thats its due to Utd playing bad they pool won or that if Utd played better we would definitely have won. We may have played better and Pool then could have upped their games further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

swskzq.jpg

You're gonna have to let them go sometime, Lucas!

Mr Alan wrote: »
    personally, i dont think Utd were any worse than they have been the majority of this season so far.

very true - laws of averages states that luck will run out at some time, today they played to their ability and didnt get lucky

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Quite amusing reading Vidic get slaughtered by Pool fans when deep down we all know they'd love him in their team. :cool:

thats not what i mean, today they were alright, but they were up against a good side that played well. they needed to up their game, and didnt.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Mr Alan wrote: »

I have to agree with you there. United have been stuttering through the season so far and really need to sort there act out. They are nothing on the united of old that dominated games from start to finish.

Liverpool deserved their win today. The hassled for the ball all over the pitch.

john47832 wrote: »
    very true - laws of averages states that luck will run out at some time, today they played to their ability and didnt get lucky

Now i know you're excited but we played to our ability and didnt get lucky is just a pathetic thing to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Extremely disappointing game, a nothing game in fact. I'm sure Liverpool supporters will gloat and best of luck to them but they're only codding themselves. The game passed both midfields by and as a result was nowhere near a spectacle. Carragher should have walked, not that it would have made any difference to the final result. Utd were poor throughout, no cutting edge at all. The second goal was just a mirage.

• Advertisement

Kag.....i know you're here......

say it........

Advertisement