Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool V Manchester United Sunday 26th oct 2009 2.00pm (Mod note - #967)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Quite amusing reading Vidic get slaughtered by Pool fans when deep down we all know they'd love him in their team. :cool:

Definitely, I'd love him in place of Carra because he's on the way out, in spite of today's result. But I wouldn't sacrifice Agger or Skrtel for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I don't think I'm overreacting, whether you like it or not saying your team was ****e does suggests that you believe the result would have been in your favour had Man U played better. And as I outlined earlier, I don't believe you played ****e, Man U constantly threatened, especially after the first goal

United were rubbish, man. Only VDS and Valencia can say that they had good games today, the rest were at best below-par. Berbatov, Carrick, Scholes, Evra and Vidic in particular played as poorly as I've ever seen them play.
    Wasn't really having a go at Pro F, that's why I only highlighted one line from his whole post. It represented what many pundits will be saying tomorrow and I think it's very unfair.

You said yourself "I don't mean to have a go, but....." Which to me kinda implies you were doing exactly that.
    I really spent the whole of last week bemoaning my team? Shocking, here's me thinking I only made one negative post in the Liverpool superthread after Lyon beat us. :eek:

Tongue in cheek comment given your earlier post in the Superthread about how fickle you are re: Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

p_larkin99 wrote: »
    Now i know you're excited but we played to our ability and didnt get lucky is just a pathetic thing to say.

utd are playing exactly how liverpool were this time last year

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Mr Alan wrote: »
    personally, i dont think Utd were any worse than they have been the majority of this season so far.
    john47832 wrote: »
    very true - laws of averages states that luck will run out at some time, today they played to their ability and didnt get lucky

I think both of these comments show about as much class as a united fan coming on here and saying we deserved the win and only lost because of the referee. That's what I'd equate it to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

rossie1977 wrote: »
    utd are playing exactly how liverpool were this time last year

I'm not sure I know what you are getting at here mate in relation to what I said?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,956 ✭✭✭CHD

bit of class mate please. they deserved it.
    Are you the manager of United fans here or something?

Let them be foolish imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

watever about johns comment, my comment is not even comparable, and has been agreed with by Utd fans here since i said it!?

CHD wrote: »
    Are you the manager of United fans here or something?

Let them be foolish imo.

Obviously not but its pretty embarrasing and reflects badly on my club.

watever about johns comment, my comment is not even comparable, and has been agreed with by Utd fans here since i said it!?

Twas a fair point, anyone whos watched United this season would know thay've been mediocre for much of the season. Anytime they've played a half decent team they've struggled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

nkay1985 wrote: »
    I think both of these comments show about as much class as a united fan coming on here and saying we deserved the win and only lost because of the referee. That's what I'd equate it to.

No need to be irate dude - just because yiz lost and were completely outplayed - no need to come on here and be bitter about it

grow a pair of steel ones and take it like a man

• Advertisement

Kag.....i know you're here......

say it........

Oh I am sir :)

Very drunk at this moment in time. Going to 92 to fall over while singing about Nando tbh

Obviously not but its pretty embarrasing and reflects badly on my club.

I wouldn't worry that much about it lad, you'll give yourself a coroanary if you try and tell off every United fan that acts the twat on here. Thats a fulltime job in itself.:pac:

flahavaj wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry that much about it lad, you'll give yourself a coroanary if you try and tell off every United fan that acts the twat on here. Thats a fulltime job in itself.:pac:

Aye I know. Drink will ease the pain though.

Oh I am sir :)

Very drunk at this moment in time. Going to 92 to fall over while singing about Nando tbh

and Lucas?????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

United were rubbish, man. Only VDS and Valencia can say that they had good games today, the rest were at best below-par. Berbatov, Carrick, Scholes, Evra and Vidic in particular played as poorly as I've ever seen them play.

I don't think we're going to agree here. Do you honestly deny that Man U as a unit put immense pressure on Liverpool?

You said yourself "I don't mean to have a go, but....." Which to me kinda implies you were doing exactly that.

Exactly, I didn't mean to have a go at him. If I was having a go at him I wouldn't have bothered putting in that line. It was a general beef.
    Tongue in cheek comment given your earlier post in the Superthread about how fickle you are re: Liverpool.

I know that. For context, I'm a bit self-righteous when it comes to criticising Liverpool. It's hard to explain to be honest. :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Honestly, and Id like to hear examples of of the opposite but personally I didnt think Rio and Vidic were terrorised by Torres at all today. I actually thought Torres was a bit flat and the two centre halfs did very well against him?

Besides the goal obvioulsy, but even then, it was Yossi's ball that gave Torres the advantage over Rio.

I actually thought Vidic and Rio had decent games all round.

Twas a fair point, anyone whos watched United this season would know thay've been mediocre for much of the season. Anytime they've played a half decent team they've struggled.

and have won most games - why?? they have been very lucky up until now

i fully agree with your point

and Lucas?????

He did well, was just saying on FB to Will.

Pigs will fly next ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Jimmyboss

jonny24ie wrote: »
    I have to agree with you there. United have been stuttering through the season so far and really need to sort there act out. They are nothing on the united of old that dominated games from start to finish.

Liverpool deserved their win today. The hassled for the ball all over the pitch.

Agree with both of the above, Utd's midfield does not inspire confidence,just look at the CF final......they probably have the weakest midfield of the Top 4, it's an indictment on Ferguson that he hasn't dealt adequately with that situation; Giggs and Scholes past their best, Valencia not Manu quality, Carrick needs 20+ yards of free space to do anything, and then mostly passes either sideways or backwards......it's actually surprising that they're challenging for anything this season imho.......

Jesus P, shut up.

Trying to be holier than though makes you come across just as bad as the bitter United fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Honestly, and Id like to hear examples of of the opposite but personally I didnt think Rio and Vidic were terrorised by Torres at all today. I actually thought Torres was a bit flat and the two centre halfs did very well against him?

Besides the goal obvioulsy, but even then, it was Yossi's ball that gave Torres the advantage over Rio.

I actually thought Vidic and Rio had decent games all round.

Are you serious, Torres had it all to do even though the ball was a good one. He outpaced Ferdinand, outmuscled him and ultimately undone him.

Not necessarily lucky though. United can play poorly and beat a lot of the lesser teams comfortably. Having a guy like Rooney in outstanding form helps. Also the team's legendary never say die spirit can carry them through a lot. Saying they're "lucky" is far too simplistic an outlook to have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

So is football is down to luck now or something? How exactly have we being lucky?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

thegen wrote: »
    Lost me there:rolleyes:

You tried to defend the decision to not send off carragher by saying it was consistent which was laughable.

Ive said it before and dont intend to say it again, Liverpool deserved their win, fair play, but it would have been more interesting if the game had a better ref :rolleyes:

I actually thought Torres was a bit flat and the two centre halfs did very well against him?

they are quite visibly scared of coming up against him, as in evidence by the way they panic when he is around, hoofing the ball out of play, misplacing passes etc.

thought the ref was meh today.

didnt favour either side though tbh.....Carrra should have gone, but Vidic should have got a straight red. Kuyt should have also had a peno. blew up for a lot of finnicky little fouls over the course of the game against both sides.

LZ5by5 wrote: »
    I don't think we're going to agree here. Do you honestly deny that Man U as a unit put immense pressure on Liverpool?

Without going around in circles, I don't think they did. How many clear cut chances did they make apart from Valencia hitting the bar? How many times did they give the ball away needlessly? The game may have been close and nerve wracking for Liverpool fan watching, but the reality is United played well below their capabilities and several players had shockers. To be honest I can't believe thats even being debated.

Anyhow as you say we're not gonna agree on this, so no point in flogging a dead horse.

Are you serious, Torres had it all to do even though the ball was a good one. He outpaced Ferdinand, outmuscled him and ultimately undone him.

Yeah, but because of the ball Torres was between it and Rio so it made all those things you listed easier. Im not taking away from Torres, he IS a fantastic player just overall today I didnt think he had a good day.
    they are quite visibly scared of coming up against him, as in evidence by the way they panic when he is around, hoofing the ball out of play, misplacing passes etc.

Scared? Thats a bit much. Wary maybe, but any centre half partnership would be given his class.

By your logic though, Carra was scared of Rooney today. He hoofed the ball away and misplaced passes too.

I didnt see Torres really get one up on Vidic today at all. Rio, yes with the goal, but not Vida.

Show me evidence to the contrary and Ill happily admit Im wrong though.

Jesus P, shut up.

Trying to be holier than though makes you come across just as bad as the bitter United fans.

lol, sure thing lad

• Advertisement

thought the ref was meh today.

didnt favour either side though tbh.....Carrra should have gone, but Vidic should have got a straight red. Kuyt should have also had a peno. blew up for a lot of finnicky little fouls over the course of the game against both sides.

Giggs should have had a peno. Lucas should have been yellowed for persistant fouling.

Like I keep saying, Liverpool thoroughly deserved their victory but lets at least try and get all the facts out in the open.

RasTa wrote: »
    So is football is down to luck now or something? How exactly have we being lucky?

they have got 7 points this season due to referees allowing extra added on time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

Dont care about pity bitter United fans. All I want to say is....this is a great day :D

Fantastic goal from torres and the pass from benny. Whole team played well. Good times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Giggs should have had a peno. Lucas should have been yellowed for persistant fouling.

Like I keep saying, Liverpool thoroughly deserved their victory but lets at least try and get all the facts out in the open.

Kuyt deserved a pen then too by your reckonings but I have not seen you mention that yet. Or a yellow for Vidic for fouling a keeper on the kickout, trying to prevent a quick ball. That would have had him off after the next yellow (which would have been his second) and with a lot more time left in the game.

giggs?
    no he shouldnt

Lucas was lucky not to get a yellow by the end.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

giggs?
    no he shouldnt

Lucas at times was incredibly unlucky, made some fantastic challenges that were deemed fouls, like definately several good tackles.

• Advertisement

exactly, seems to happen a lot with him denis. think he might have a bit of a rep with refs.

they have got 7 points this season due to referees allowing extra added on time

Which matches?

Kuyt deserved a pen then too by your reckonings but I have not seen you mention that yet. Or a yellow for Vidic for fouling a keeper on the kickout, trying to prevent a quick ball. That would have had him off after the next yellow (which would have been his second) and with a lot more time left in the game.

I didnt mention it because it was in Als post already, I was just adding things I thought he missed. Vida, no one gets a yellow for that, ever. Kuyt
    had a reasonable shout but it was 50/50.
    giggs?
    no he shouldnt

Agger shouldered Giggs in the back in the penalty box when he was going to collect the ball. Much more clear cut than the Kuyt one to be fair.

I agree with the Lucas thing, he wasnt maicious or anything but he was persistant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,312 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

I didnt mention it because it was in Als post already, I was just adding things I thought he missed. Vida, no one gets a yellow for that, ever. Kuyt
    had a reasonable shout but it was 50/50.

Agger shouldered Giggs in the back in the penalty box when he was going to collect the ball. Much more clear cut than the Kuyt one to be fair.

I agree with the Lucas thing, he wasnt maicious or anything but he was persistant.

So your saying you would have been happy if it was given if it had of been Vidic on Torres

So your saying you would have been happy if it was given if it had of been Vidic on Torres

What? Im not following?

• Advertisement

What? Im not following?

Would you have been happy if a pen was giving to Liverpool for a simalar challenge between Giggs and Agger in the Utd box?

Would you have been happy if a pen was giving to Liverpool for a simalar challenge between Giggs and Agger in the Utd box?

Well yeah, and Im sure you have some vid to show a similar challenge and thats fine.

All I was doing was adding to Als "the referee was meh" post, when its quite clear the ref was terrible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

well well well.

that was a turn up for the books, and i'm both delighted and a smidgen shocked.

Liverpool outfought and outplayed utd all over the pitch, and it was refreshing to see. utd can have no complaints, and from my brief scouring of this thread so far, i have to say, there have been few.

again, refreshing to see.

Lucas needs a special mention. how he remained unbooked is beyond me. honestly. but he was a credit to himself and the club. to get the amount of stick he gets, and to turn up for big game after big game and give performances deserves praise. there are often time he doesn't show up in the not-so-big ones, but today, he was easily the best midfielder on the pitch. he tackled, hassled, passed sensibly (even forwards sometimes!!), and linked with Benayoun and Torres effectively. should have also had a goal.

how masch or Carra stayed on the field, due to consistent fouling is, again beyond me. both were immense regardless.

Torres' influence cannot be underestimated, especially in today's game. the amount of fouls he drew, the amount of balls he won in the air, the amount of balls he held up, the fearlessness with which he sought to run at Utd was absolutely central to today. he didn't give them a moment's rest. and his goal oozed quality. the man is a living legend.

benayoun, once again, was outstanding too. such an awesomely natural footballer. he makes Gerrard not as essential as Torres. that's testament enough.

n'gog disappeared a bit when he came on, but he took his goal admirably well. he must have been sh*tting himself in anticipation.

aurelio's importance to the team also shouldn't be lost on anyone. his expertise at the dead ball, and his genuine quality on the ball are invaluable, especially in games like this.

the ref had a shocker. Vidic's persistent fouling could also have been brought into question. and yes, Torres seems to have managed to put the frighteners into him after last season. unreal how vidic seems so hesitant to back himself anymore, and more and more resorts to fouls. he's better than that.

fergie must take a lot of the blame for the toothlessness of the Utd performance. i thought, pre-kickoff, that Anderson has to be an automatic start; for his energy if nothing else. i'll be honest, once i saw scholes and carrick was the CM partnership i relaxed a bit. though they can obviously play a bit, i just assumed they'd be hassled out of it, and so it proved.

Masch and Lucas must take a lot of credit for that too obviously.

Rooney and Berba showed some neat touches, especially at the end of the first half, but in the second half it just petered out. Carra and Agger had them pocketed, and it was refreshing to see glimpses of their partnership's form of a couple of seasons ago. skrtel may struggle to get back in the team. (don't you dare play the 3 of them Rafa!).

regarding all the furore about Liverpool, i will say this;

this result and performance only papers over cracks that were all too obvious before this game, and well documented.

we need to kick on; because there is still something wrong in terms of how we use the ball (not really seen today), and in terms of back up for Torres. if Torres doesn't play, we simply do not have, as promising as N'Gog has looked, someone who can do what he does. and the way he plays is vital to how we relieve pressure and get at teams.

Lucas also needs to continuously show the bravery, tenacity, simplicity and incisiveness of today in order to supplement the arrival of Aquilani in the team.

let's revel in this victory, as it was a welcome result and performance, but let's not let Rafa and the team off the hook long-term yet. there is still a long way to go for me.

that being said....

YNWA. :D

Well yeah, and Im sure you have some vid to show a similar challenge and thats fine.

All I was doing was adding to Als "the referee was meh" post, when its quite clear the ref was terrible.

I dont have a Video but i go on reactions like would i have been upset if that decison was giving against my team. It would have been a very soft pen and harsh if giving against any team

SlickRic wrote: »
    well well well.

that was a turn up for the books, and i'm both delighted and a smidgen shocked.

Liverpool outfought and outplayed utd all over the pitch, and it was refreshing to see. utd can have no complaints, and from my brief scouring of this thread so far, i have to say, there have been few.

again, refreshing to see.

Lucas needs a special mention. how he remained unbooked is beyond me. honestly. but he was a credit to himself and the club. to get the amount of stick he gets, and to turn up for big game after big game and give performances deserves praise. there are often time he doesn't show up in the not-so-big ones, but today, he was easily the best midfielder on the pitch. he tackled, hassled, passed sensibly (even forwards sometimes!!), and linked with Benayoun and Torres effectively. should have also had a goal.

how masch or Carra stayed on the field, due to consistent fouling is, again beyond me. both were immense regardless.

Torres' influence cannot be underestimated, especially in today's game. the amount of fouls he drew, the amount of balls he won in the air, the amount of balls he held up, the fearlessness with which he sought to run at Utd was absolutely central to today. he didn't give them a moment's rest. and his goal oozed quality. the man is a living legend.

benayoun, once again, was outstanding too. such an awesomely natural footballer. he makes Gerrard not as essential as Torres. that's testament enough.

n'gog disappeared a bit when he came on, but he took his goal admirably well. he must have been sh*tting himself in anticipation.

aurelio's importance to the team also shouldn't be lost on anyone. his expertise at the dead ball, and his genuine quality on the ball are invaluable, especially in games like this.

the ref had a shocker. Vidic's persistent fouling could also have been brought into question. and yes, Torres seems to have managed to put the frighteners into him after last season. unreal how vidic seems so hesitant to back himself anymore, and more and more resorts to fouls. he's better than that.

fergie must take a lot of the blame for the toothlessness of the Utd performance. i thought, pre-kickoff, that Anderson has to be an automatic start; for his energy if nothing else. i'll be honest, once i saw scholes and carrick was the CM partnership i relaxed a bit. though they can obviously play a bit, i just assumed they'd be hassled out of it, and so it proved.

Masch and Lucas must take a lot of credit for that too obviously.

Rooney and Berba showed some neat touches, especially at the end of the first half, but in the second half it just petered out. Carra and Agger had them pocketed, and it was refreshing to see glimpses of their partnership's form of a couple of seasons ago. skrtel may struggle to get back in the team. (don't you dare play the 3 of them Rafa!).

regarding all the furore about Liverpool, i will say this;

this result and performance only papers over cracks that were all too obvious before this game, and well documented.

we need to kick on; because there is still something wrong in terms of how we use the ball (not really seen today), and in terms of back up for Torres. if Torres doesn't play, we simply do not have, as promising as N'Gog has looked, someone who can do what he does. and the way he plays is vital to how we relieve pressure and get at teams.

Lucas also needs to continuously show the bravery, tenacity, simplicity and incisiveness of today in order to supplement the arrival of Aquilani in the team.

let's revel in this victory, as it was a welcome result and performance, but let's not let Rafa and the team off the hook long-term yet. there is still a long way to go for me.

that being said....

YNWA. :D

I did tell you.:).............:(

I dont have a Video but i go on reactions like would i have been upset if that decison was giving against my team. It would have been a very soft pen and harsh if giving against any team

Yeah but what you think is irrelevant. He shouldered Giggs in the back, in the penalty box. Penalty. Ref didnt give it for whatever reason, and I accept that.

Kuyts, like Im sure you will argue, could have been given too, but it was much less of a pen that Giggs, both of them were grappling.

Anyway, all I was trying to do was show that the ref wasnt just "meh", he was pretty attrocious (not that it would have mattered a whole lot anyway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I did tell you.:).............:(

ha ha, you did man.

when your team's been playing like ours had been i was never going to believe you too quick though ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

No, we're champions until May, I'll forgive you though because it has been twenty odd years since Liverpool won it so you might have forgotten that.;)

Oh boo hoo.. Actually what i meant was, shadow of the team you were last season, a la no tevez or ronaldo. Incidentally so are we. But we shall see come may, which i would wager neither side will be anywhere near the title.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Soccer Sunday is on now (RTE2) then MOTD2 is on at 10pm, BBC2
    Two hours of quality tv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

mike65 wrote: »
    Soccer Sunday is on now (RTE2) then MOTD2 is on at 10pm, BBC2
    Two hours of quality tv.

and Ronnie's on!

• Advertisement
Advertisement