Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool V Manchester United Sunday 26th oct 2009 2.00pm (Mod note - #967)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Podge2k7 wrote: »
    I'd say he means Aureillo.
    Gotcha, yes. Aurelio is there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Gotcha, yes. Aurelio is there.

:o

Always get the 2 names mixed up, even when they where both here!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Aurelio is a dangerous oul player... Was thrilled to see Insua at LB, until I saw Aurelio was playing further up :D Deadly with set-pieces too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Dave! wrote: »
    Aurelio is a dangerous oul player... Was thrilled to see Insua at LB, until I saw Aurelio was playing further up :D Deadly with set-pieces too

Im not too sure about Insuas defensive capabilities he's been found out a lot lately especially against Lyon, maybe its just lack of experience but it's his lack of pace which worries me. Aurelio is also a bit shakey defensively in my eyes, the thing is both players can be dangerous going forward. I just think it's a position we might have to look at in the future if we really want quality in every position a left footed Glen Johnson would be lovely. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

rossie1977 wrote: »
    sorry but just not buying that, liverpool were top scorers last season, scoring far more than the likes of arsenal, man utd or chelsea in the league, this year only arsenal have scored more so far despite liverpool having a terrible start, playing the worst football ever, on their worst run in 22 years blah blah blah blah
    First of all i didn't say anything about liverpool's worst run of games in 22 years and all that bollocks so i don't know why your bringing that up.

Anyway, on the destroying nature of Rafa's tactics, I was talking about his approach to games against big teams rather than the run of the mill league games where a draw isn't good enough.
    United have had three games to test liverpool now. And normally its from corner kicks.
    eh... yeah that's my point. i think Carrick isn't good enough, he gets horribly shown up in big games. And especially against opposition that are good at closing down the space.
    No one up front for United who is remotely as good as Torres. He is a class apart.
    You have Torres, we have some actual depth in our squad. Anyway, I'm perfectly happy with Rooney and Berbatov, both are quality strikers.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Pro. F wrote: »
    First of all i didn't say anything about liverpool's worst run of games in 22 years and all that bollocks so i don't know why your bringing that up.

Anyway, on the destroying nature of Rafa's tactics, I was talking about his approach to games against big teams rather than the run of the mill league games where a draw isn't good enough.

eh... yeah that's my point. i think Carrick isn't good enough, he gets horribly shown up in big games. And especially against opposition that are good at closing down the space.

You have Torres, we have some actual depth in our squad. Anyway, I'm perfectly happy with Rooney and Berbatov, both are quality strikers.

meh

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭cantgetright

Im not too sure about Insuas defensive capabilities he's been found out a lot lately especially against Lyon, maybe its just lack of experience but it's his lack of pace which worries me. Aurelio is also a bit shakey defensively in my eyes, the thing is both players can be dangerous going forward. I just think it's a position we might have to look at in the future if we really want quality in every position a left footed Glen Johnson would be lovely. :pac:

bring back riise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

For Rooney and Berbatov you can basically subsitute Gerrard and Torres. Both are imo better than their United counterparts. Though Owen as backup is probably stronger than anyone we have in reserve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

oh, by the way, aurelio was fantastic today.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

For Rooney and Berbatov you can basically subsitute Gerrard and Torres. Both are imo better than their United counterparts. Though Owen as backup is probably stronger than anyone we have in reserve.

Pfffffff N'Gog averages 4 goals per game in the league this season, FACT.

:pac:

• Advertisement

thought Johnson & Kuyt were not at their best today.

Johnson was sound defensively, but didn't offer a lot going forward & Kuyt could have done a bit better with a few different things.

Also didn't think Insua was great. got caught a couple of times, but recovered well & did ok in the end.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    thought Johnson & Kuyt were not at their best today.

Johnson was sound defensively, but didn't offer a lot going forward & Kuyt could have done a bit better with a few different things.

Also didn't think Insua was great. got caught a couple of times, but recovered well & did ok in the end.

In fairness to Johnson, I'd say he was concentrating on the defending side, as we all know, if he made one mistake everybody would be jumping on him. Seem him get forward a couple of times, just not used.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

his defending has been spot on all season though, he could have contributed more going forward, he was still decent like, just not as his best.

i understand that people would have pounched on any mistake he made (for example, has anyone mentioned Evra failing to close down Yossi for Torres goal?), but would have liked to seen him cut loose a little more, he's the best around when he does.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    his defending has been spot on all season though, he could have contributed more going forward, he was still decent like, just not as his best.

i understand that people would have pounched on any mistake he made (for example, has anyone mentioned Evra failing to close down Yossi for Torres goal?), but would have liked to seen him cut loose a little more, he's the best around when he does.

I agree, good point on Evra. I noticed Johnson twice going forward in the first half, just he wasn't spotted or it was passed elsewhere. He was willing and able, just not used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭cantgetright

let the full backs attack..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭deisedude

flahavaj wrote: »
    Pure trolling by yer man from football 365. Scholes the best midfielder on the pitch for 60 mins? Fella must be stoned or something.:eek:

John Nicholson is a joke of a writer. Everything he writes on that site is generally nonsensical ****e to try and get a few giggles.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

So what's your point?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Having just come back from the match, here's my view of it. Bear in mind I was in the upper Anfield Road end so wouldn't have had a clear view of incidents at the Kop end.

Atmosphere was cracking, starting with the march pre game, which I was late for but joined for the last 25 mins or so. I've never been able to get tickets to a big match before and the atmosphere was definitely a different level, which is a bit disappointing, but not at all a shock to anyone I'd say.

On the Carra incident, at the time I thought he would be off, but obviously I was more concerned with the ball and that challenge than looking around for cover. He was running towards the corner of the box, but thats a position owen scored countless goals from, so I'm glad he wasn't given the chance. I was a bit disappointed with Insuas first half performance, but in the second he seemed a good bit more composed. Lucas had a few misplaced passes, but he harried constantly and a few of his fouls were no way fouls, good game overall, especially considering the stick he has been getting. The first utd peno claim (Agger on Berbatov) had me glancing at the ref and linesman, not because I thought it should have been a penalty, but because I have seen them given.

Torres looked interested as hell out there today. Compare that with how lazy he looked against Burnley earlier in the season, and it's like a different player. Agger and Carra were fantastic, although Carra still has a panic inducing effect on me every time he goes near the ball. It's not a recent thing, or necessarily a bad thing, and I love the lad to bits (in a football sense of course), but the amount of last ditch, or through 3 men challenges he goes thorugh it's always a heart stopping experience.

The utd lads were warming up at the Anfield Road end (as visiting teams always do), and Rooneys shooting got me a bit worried, but during the game he looked very off the pace thankfully. Nice hattrick from Vidic though :) even if he had a decent game overall.

Thoroughly deserved win though, even if the last few minutes felt like an hour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

25gt92b.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

according to one irish journalist this morning, N'gog is "an ineffective nobody"

journalism at its best :eek:

Its not far off the mark to be honest, hardly the most difficult of chances today. Pretty brutal against Lyon, and ever since he joined really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭givyjoe81

mike65 wrote: »
    Spirit, application, honesty of endevour. That what wins you games, not the ref.

Johnny... is that you?!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Ill agree United have better quality all round. But again Torres bar Drogba is best striker in Premiership.
    Berbatov a bit lazy and for second season in a row we have snuffed out threat of Rooney.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Jagera

It was great that Reina was the first to Ngog to celebrate.

Wonder if he was making a dash up to have a crack at goal as the whistle was about to blow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

givyjoe81 wrote: »
    Its not far off the mark to be honest, hardly the most difficult of chances today. Pretty brutal against Lyon, and ever since he joined really.
    While the goal itself was not 'great' he still showed great composure to stick it in the way he did. He's really in a no win situation with some. He's still young learning his trade and scored a good goal against the league champions and people say it wasn't a difficult chance. If he'd missed it he have been dismissed. If berba,rooney or torres scored that goal it would have been a cool placed finished. Against Lyon he wasnt the worst on the pitch but he tried his best to fill the torres role. I think he's got a lot to offer but still has a lot to learn. Good luck to him and hope he gets better and kicks on. Good game and a great result. Send out the kids in the carling cup now and see if they can play their way into the match day squad.
    W

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

givyjoe81 wrote: »

how many starts has he had exactly and he has scored 6 or 7 goals already in limited time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

how many starts has he had exactly and he has scored 6 or 7 goals already in limited time

23 games and 6 goals with Liverpool. 48 cap and 9 goals overall. He could become a decent player but you can only judge a player on his merits and I have seen nothing from him to get excited about. At 20 the jury is still out but my prediction is that he will not be good enough to cut it at that level. He will probably leave Liverpool in the next 2 or 3 years to join a Portsmouth or Wigan type team.

magma69 wrote: »
    23 games and 6 goals with Liverpool. 48 cap and 9 goals overall. He could become a decent player but you can only judge a player on his merits and I have seen nothing from him to get excited about. At 20 the jury is still out but my prediction is that he will not be good enough to cut it at that level. He will probably leave Liverpool in the next 2 or 3 years to join a Portsmouth or Wigan type team.

how many starts or mins, according to lfc.tv he has 38 mins of action this year in the premier league but wikipedia will tell you he has played 4 games :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

how many starts or mins, according to lfc.tv he has 38 mins of action this year in the premier league but wikipedia will tell you he has played 4 games :rolleyes:

Regardless of the record. From what I have seen he is nothing more than a mediocre player. Little to no creativity, lacks killer pace, has poor intelligence (lot of mistimed runs and poor communication with other players). He does seem to be strong and can challenge for the ball in the air but as of yet he nothing to get excited about. He may come good but I have not seen a single performance yet where I could say "N'gog looked great today".:rolleyes:. It's all well and good to say he will be good in the future but lets call a spade a spade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

A good read -

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8742_5651868,00.html
    wrote:
    * When there's Torres there's a way. He is Liverpool's difference maker and he was the salient difference between the two sides on Sunday. Those of a Liverpool allegiance with a handicapped shoulder will no doubt not accept the point on account of their side's superiority, but the likelihood remains that the game would have petered out into a stalemate had Torres not been fit to play.

It is the hallmark of a different level of quality that his goal was the product of his first and only opportunity to score during the game. Liverpool had a few other chances before the hour mark but didn't take them. Torres had one and took it. That's the definition of a difference-maker.

* And at the risk of leaping to a conclusion too far, the Spaniard's strike may have also propelled his status to the league's best.

Admittedly, his coronation can only be agreed upon with the prior acceptance of the premise that greater weighting should be given to accomplishments made in all-elite clashes than routine, low billing run-of-the-mill Premier League encounters, but if so then the stats back up Torres' claim to be regarded as the first among elite equals: his goal was the seventh he has scored in five matches against Big Four opposition in 2009 alone.

* Yossi Benayoun is one of the most under-rated players in the league and his through-ball for Torres was the pass of the season so far.

* A thoroughly deserved victory for Liverpool. Crisis? Make that former crisis. Even if their early-season woes cannot be forgotten with one triumph then they can at least now be forgiven. A four-point deficit to the three-times reigning champions at this stage of this season is small change.

* Praise for Liverpool and condemnation for Manchester United in equal measure. Having ridden their luck so this season, with their points-tally more than their performances were worth, the champions had to raise their game on Sunday. Instead they fell flat on their faces. Not one United player, with the arguable exception of Edwin van der Sar after his first-half double save, emerged from the game with his reputation either unblemished or in additional credit. In five words, this was a gutless display.

Vulnerable in defence, weak in midfield and pining for the impact of Cristiano Ronaldo in attack, not to mention low in application and commitment, this was a United team there for the taking. And an understrength Liverpool took them for a deserved beating.

* The only limitation to the condemnation of United's feeble display is the argument that the game may have ended in an entirely different fashion had Jamie Carragher been dismissed. On two counts, he should have been: Firstly, the yellow card he received for hauling down Michael Owen should have been his second of the match on account of his 63rd minute foul on Wayne Rooney after being turned by the United striker. Secondly, his foul on Owen was probably a red-card offence.

Ref365 argues for leniency in his column because 'There were other defenders around and Owen still had work to do' but those defenders were recovering not covering and would not have reached Owen had he not been pulled back.

* The imminent returns of Owen Hargreaves and Darren Fletcher cannot come soon enough for United and should resolve the evident weakness of United's midfield at Anfield. For Michael Carrick, the game at the highest level really ought to be up.

* Yet of greatest concern to Sir Alex Ferguson may be the vulnerability of his two first-choice central-defenders. It is now an open secret that Nemanja Vidic cannot cope with pace - twice during the game, Torres turned away from him from a standing start and was three yards distant before the defender had completed his first movement - while Ferdinand looks to be on the wane and a shadow of his former self. He vowed during the week to do his talking on the pitch but he had no answer to Torres in his moment of reckoning.

* As for Vidic, his only answer to pace and quick feet is a struggle. If there is a criticism of Torres to be made then it's that on a couple of occasions he forgot to man-mark the United defender.

The Serbian has presumably made history with his third successive dismissal in as many league fixtures between the two sides. Has Sir Alex ever faced a selection dilemma like the one that will loom before him in March when he must decide whether or not to include Vidic for the visit of Liverpool?

* Liverpool won the game because they had Torres and because they played with greater urgency, desire and intent. Critically, in the middle of the park they rushed Paul Scholes into unusual sloppiness and Carrick into his usual irrelevancy on big occasions. As a result, the visitors never once took a grip on the game.

The much-maligned Lucas (he's inherited that tag of endearment from the much-missed Pascal Cygan) was central, alongside the improved Javier Mascherano, in that demolition job but the Brazilian's 'fouls against' tally will make for interesting reading when the match statistics are produced in full. At a guess, he committed at least half a dozen - and was cautioned for neither any nor all. How much of a difference would it have made to both Lucas and Liverpool had he been cautioned early in the game?

* If Ryan Babel, whose £11m capture in the summer of 2007 has generated a total of 23 league starts, cannot claim a starting place in back-to-back home matches when Liverpool are without Steven Gerrard for one and Fernando Torres the other then he will never make the step up to Anfield regular.

A lingering criticism of Rafa Benitez's reign is that few, if any, of his younger players have made a significant development under his tutelage and that while his big-money signings have generally delivered his record in the moderate-money bracket typically haven't. No player personifies this failure more so than Babel.

* Because of his all-round skills, Daniel Agger is an improvement on Martin Skrtel. He is the ball-playing defender that Ferdinand was supposed to be but never will.

* If there is one quality that separates Big Four players from the rest in the Premier League then it is the quality of their first touch. And if there is one quality that Dimi Berbatov lords over the rest in the entire Premier League then it is his first touch.

* Unfortunately first appearances can be deceptive and, while Berbatov's first touch is outstanding, little else endears. His arm-waving histrionics at team-mates is an ugly trait and there will never be any sympathy for him all the time he fashions a stroll. In the first half especially, there were flashes of a developing understanding between Rooney and the Bulgarian, but more should and will be expected of a £30m recruit. He just isn't producing enough to justify the aggravation or his price-tag.

* There will be, as there always is, some misguided fools pointing to David Ngog's goal as evidence that Liverpool's squad boasts greater strength in depth than it is generally given credit as possessing. There is a level of depth, yes, but compared to those of their big four rivals it remains shallow and that reality should not be blinded by giddiness. Compare the two benches on Sunday and Liverpool's shortfall is starkly apparent. While Rafa Benitez named Cavalieri, Voronin, Babel, Ngog, Spearing, Degen and Skrtel, Ferguson had Foster, Neville, Owen, Anderson, Nani, Fabio Da Silva and Jonny Evans. One is the standard that should be expected of a title-winning squad, the other isn't.

* Liverpool-Manchester United clashes are presumably a lot more fun for the neutrals than they are for those with an allegiance.

Gill is spot on with a lot of the above, some of it knee jerk but he hit the nail on the head with the gutless comment about Utd and the fact that VDS is the only Utd player who came away with any credibility yesterday.

Utd looked beaten in spirit, you can ar$e around with the tactics white board all day long but if you can't get the players motivated for a game like this then theres something seriously wrong at Utd, no fight, no desire, for shame.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭anplaya

ntlbell wrote: »
    why?

incase he flicks his hair in his eye or something?

vidic fears no one.

pah,vidic is torres bitch,pansy of the balkans.doesnt know how to handle a great centre forward.

• Advertisement

There will be, as there always is, some misguided fools pointing to David Ngog's goal as evidence that Liverpool's squad boasts greater strength in depth than it is generally given credit as possessing. There is a level of depth, yes, but compared to those of their big four rivals it remains shallow and that reality should not be blinded by giddiness. Compare the two benches on Sunday and Liverpool's shortfall is starkly apparent. While Rafa Benitez named Cavalieri, Voronin, Babel, Ngog, Spearing, Degen and Skrtel, Ferguson had Foster, Neville, Owen, Anderson, Nani, Fabio Da Silva and Jonny Evans. One is the standard that should be expected of a title-winning squad, the other isn't.

this is one thing that interests me, liverpool were missing 3 first teamers yesterday and 2 others that would be on the bench had they been fit, yes liverpools squad isn't as strong as some but take a couple of players out of any team and the squad looks a little thin

this is chelseas bench against fc porto early this season when they got a few injuries and suspensions; Turnbull, Belletti, Hutchinson, Bruma, J Cole, Sturridge, Borini

even with injuries rafa still named 4 internationals on the bench yday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Sizzler wrote: »
    A good read -

http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8742_5651868,00.html

Gill is spot on with a lot of the above, some of it knee jerk but he hit the nail on the head with the gutless comment about Utd and the fact that VDS is the only Utd player who came away with any credibility yesterday.

Utd looked beaten in spirit, you can ar$e around with the tactics white board all day long but if you can't get the players motivated for a game like this then theres something seriously wrong at Utd, no fight, no desire, for shame.
    I think a lot of United liverpool games come down to psychological advantages. Remember United had a good run against us until last season. And now we have beaten them three times in a row in the league.
    I think Torres makes a huge difference. Maybe Ferdinand could have defended a bit better for opening goal but Torres is just so strong in those situations.
    But big improvement from the Pool yesterday. you can tell they really wanted to win this game. If only they could treat each game like that.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Fair play to Liverpool. The ref was very poor but decisions went both way so no complaints.

Was watching it in Chohesseys in Limerick with the gf. With Liverpool 1-0 up, a young kid all kitted out in Liverpool atire walks by me. Without flinching he walks straight past me and once he got my attention, as cool as you like, started kissing the Liverpool badge on his shirt. He wasn't older than 8. Funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

killwill wrote: »
    Was he really that bad today? I certainly didn't think so. I thought he did pretty well against a striker I rate as in the top 3 in the world. Rio on the other hand was very poor for the goal. On Torres, and I do really rate him highly, he is developing a serious touch of Drogbaitis which there is no need for. The man has oodles of talent.
    He was terrible yet again againest Torres yesterday. Does'nt make him a bad player all of a sudden but he ****s himself whenever he comes up againest Nando.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Bandit12 wrote: »
    He was terrible yet again againest Torres yesterday. Does'nt make him a bad player all of a sudden but he ****s himself whenever he comes up againest Nando.

When? He was bad last year, thats the only time he has been bad against Torres.

When yesterday was he bad? Show me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

This Vidic vs Torres thing is being way overstated imo (as far as yesterday goes, no denying the games last year). He didn't have a terrible game by any stretch. I can't remember any instances of him being skinned or terrorised by Torres - and let's not forget it was Kuyt that got the run of him that led to his sending off.

When? He was bad last year, thats the only time he has been bad against Torres.

When yesterday was he bad? Show me.
    He was hacking away Nando from the first few minutes of the match. How he did'nt pick up at least one yellow card in that first half i'll never know. You could smell the fear from where i was sitting, the crowd knew it,Vidic knew it and you can be sure Torres knew it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

He was hacking away Nando from the first few minutes of the match. How he did'nt pick up at least one yellow card in that first half i'll never know. You could smell the fear from where i was sitting, the crowd knew it,Vidic knew it and you can be sure Torres knew it.

lol

acutally I do smell somthing

smells like BS to me

Does he not do that to everyone? Carra is scared of every premiership striker then if they are the criteria.

• Advertisement

Headshot wrote: »
    lol

acutally I do smell somthing

smells like BS to me
    No that more than likely Vidic's jocks after yesterday. lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

No that more than likely Vidic's jocks after yesterday. lol

I really find your posts about vidic really funny

your a funny guy, ill give ya that.

but also your posts reek of anti utd, vidic did nothing bad yesterday, he put last season behind him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

It looked to me like Rafa targeted Evra as a United weakness yesterday, and it worked. Johnson sat deeper than usual (and did a great job) and Masch was quick to cover as always, making Evra's attempts to get forward easily covered. Giggs' lack of pace these days and his habit of coming inside more meant Utd couldn't overload Johnson, and Yossi could get forward down the right.

Torres also came over to the right more often, giving Rio/Vidic a problem, whether one of them should go with him, when neither of them have the pace to stay with him, and they don't want to get seperated. Kuyt stayed in the middle, meaning they couldn't shift across as a unit. If Anderson had played instead of Scholes, he could have helped out, but Fergie made the wrong choice, he didn't see this coming.

Down the (our) left, O'Shea was never going to be a big threat going forward, and Insua against Valencia was a potential weaknesss for Liverpool, so Rafa played Aurelio there as cover. Aurelio did well, between them they snuffed out the threat of Valencia, who was the only other Utd player (apart from Evra) who could provide width.

It was astonishing to me that Ferguson didn't spot what was happening and either try to double up on Johnson (he brought on Nani, presumably to do this, but they didn't focus on this part of the pitch) or sacrifice O'Shea, who had very little to do defensively, for someone who could get forward and put more pressure on Insua/Aurelio.

This Vidic vs Torres thing is being way overstated imo (as far as yesterday goes, no denying the games last year). He didn't have a terrible game by any stretch. I can't remember any instances of him being skinned or terrorised by Torres - and let's not forget it was Kuyt that got the run of him that led to his sending off.

gave away numerous fouls against him .torres wasnt even on the pitch when he got sent off,wouldnt have mattered if it was torres or kuyt or any other player once he put in that tackle,seeing as he was the last man back.maybe his nerves were shot from being dragged all over the place by torres earlier.

I am all for admitting when/if Vidic gets the runaround but yesterday was certainly not one of those days.

But I guess an playa and Bandit need these little victories?

Trophys, not fixtures lads.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

The next six weeks or so are very important for Liverpool. We have tough games against City, Everton and Arsenal (in the league, not talking about the cup game) and some other games that we need to be winning. If we can keep the attitude we showed against Utd, with Agger back, Torres regaining fitness, Gerrard coming back and Aquilani close to full fitness our squad suddenly looks a lot stronger. We are lacking cover at right back and cover for Torres, but apart from that we look in good shape to go on a run.

Yesterday showed that we can rest Gerrard if necessary, with Benni and hopefully Aquilani able to play that role (providing creativity in midfiled, support and supply for Torres), but no-one who can give us anything like what Torres does.

Edit; sorry, wrong forum for this one!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Headshot wrote: »
    I really find your posts about vidic really funny

your a funny guy, ill give ya that.

but also your posts reek of anti utd, vidic did nothing bad yesterday, he put last season behind him.

As a defender if your team concede 2 and you get sent off, you did something bad.

alki
    I am all for admitting when/if Vidic gets the runaround but yesterday was certainly not one of those days.

But I guess an playa and Bandit need these little victories?

Trophys, not fixtures lads.:D

talking about the game yesterday ,not trophies. always a comeback with ye when ye have nothing else to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

It looked to me like Rafa targeted Evra as a United weakness yesterday, and it worked. Johnson sat deeper than usual (and did a great job) and Masch was quick to cover as always, making Evra's attempts to get forward easily covered. Giggs' lack of pace these days and his habit of coming inside more meant Utd couldn't overload Johnson, and Yossi could get forward down the right.

I was trying to figure out watching the match if he was actually playing a more disciplined game yesterday, or if he was minding himself a little bit considering he was just back from injury. In fairness he was never found wanting, or looked like he was struggling with a knock or turning etc.

Torres running at Evra seemed to be a key play alright, in the first half hour Torres only got the ball played to his feet about 4 times, and 3 of them were when he was out wide and could take on Evra.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Jesus lads, Vidic could have had 4 yellows yesterday nevermind 2.

Advertisement