Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool V Manchester United Sunday 26th oct 2009 2.00pm (Mod note - #967)

Comments

fantastic display on Sunday.

We were better in all departments than United and fully deserved the win.

Lucas and Mash were excellent and Carra was sensational.

United's defence looks well dodgy especially Ferdinand. long may it last.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

1000+ posts "match thread". Is this a record?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

mike65 wrote: »
    1000+ posts "match thread". Is this a record?

Still open on a Tuesday morning, definitely a record...;)

yom 1 wrote: »
    Ngog is showing great promise alright and took his goal very well.

I was delighted to see him get a goal. He has shown signs of promise in the games he's been involved in but due to what I suspect is a lack of confidence he has looked very ordinary in some instances too.... Hopefully a goal against our biggest rivals will give him the push he needs.

I was very impressed with Lucas....(I'll be eating my hat next). Broke up play very well and passed the ball well. Lets just hope he can keep to this form until the Aqua man gets back. Yossi has been outstanding so far this season and was good on Sunday. However there were a few instances that he should of taken on a shot himself after some typical great footwork. Torres was his classy self and I was delighted to also see Jamie get a good game under his belt after a bad start to the season. Johnson wasn't as good as he has been so far this year going forward but did well defensively which will shut a few people up.

Overall a great win for us that we fully deserved.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭Fink Goddie

I was very impressed with Lucas....(I'll be eating my hat next). Broke up play very well and passed the ball well. Lets just hope he can keep to this form until the Aqua man gets back. Yossi has been outstanding so far this season and was good on Sunday. However there were a few instances that he should of taken on a shot himself after some typical great footwork. Torres was his classy self and I was delighted to also see Jamie get a good game under his belt after a bad start to the season. Johnson wasn't as good as he has been so far this year going forward but did well defensively which will shut a few people up.

Yossi was brilliant, was nice to see Carragher doing well again. Very impressed with Aurelio lately too.
    Think everyones going a bit overboard with the praise for Lucas, he wasnt amazing, better than he has been but still not good enough. Took some Woeful shots, one in particular that he should have scored, lots of needless fouls again too.

• Registered Users Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Anthony16

curry-muff wrote: »
    Jesus Ngog scores a chance that very few would miss and suddenly people want his babies after bashing him for the last few months, its not good to see that peoples opinions can change at the drop of a coin, i know i might be biased but i dont see Ngog as a good player, at all :rolleyes:

I agree completely,hes nowhere near the standard needed to be a liverpool player.One easy goal and the scousers think hes a world beater lol.Itl be funny at the end of the season wen they are giving out about him.Giggs=11,gerrard=0 and thats how it will stay

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,608 ✭✭✭Spud83

Anthony16 wrote: »
    I agree completely,hes nowhere near the standard needed to be a liverpool player.One easy goal and the scousers think hes a world beater lol.Itl be funny at the end of the season wen they are giving out about him.Giggs=11,gerrard=0 and thats how it will stay

Surely you want at least one of those numbers to change?

I was delighted to see him get a goal. He has shown signs of promise in the games he's been involved in but due to what I suspect is a lack of confidence he has looked very ordinary in some instances too.... Hopefully a goal against our biggest rivals will give him the push he needs.

Do you guys think torres should have got man of the match?Even andy said he was quiet,apart from the goal.Mascherano deserved it

Surely you want at least one of those numbers to change?

I do but it think its chelseas this yr.They have too much for the rest of us.Once united finish aboveliverpool winnin the league this year,ill be happy

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

A bit harsh IMO. TBF he has had limited opportunites so far and is only 20 FFS. Who said he was a 'world beater'? I think most people are expressing their opinion with an open mind for the very reasons I just mentioned. Oh and it may have been an 'easy goal' but fair play to him, he finished it off well and sometimes it can be more difficult in circumstances like that when you have too much time, let alone in probably the biggest game of his career to-date.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭SWAR

Do you guys think torres should have got man of the match?Even andy said he was quiet,apart from the goal.Mascherano deserved it

I think Carra deserved it myself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Boggles wrote: »
    I don't know about this, Chelsea, Arsenal and Man United all have more points than they did at this stage last year. This would suggest a higher points total will win the league.

i do take your point.

but i did say 'could'.

sunderland, spurs and villa in particular look stronger than ever, and it's just a gut instinct i have that it will be a low points total winning it.

iirc a couple of managers have predicted that already too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

I'd agree mostly with this. He's a good player but from about January last year he hasn't been showing it. I remember remarking before that the best players are the ones that seem to have the most time on the ball and to a large extent when Carrick arrived he was just like this. But recently he seems to be crowded out too easily and panics under pressure.

Especially against Liverpool when Mascherano and Lucas are energetic in your face players, I think Anderson should have been on the pitch.

Our problem at the minute isn't so much that we need to bring someone in, but that two key midfielders we have (Hargreaves and Fletch) are injured. They would have been massive in a game like that on Sunday.

Obviously a creative player like Carrick is going to be swamped when up against 2 limited brusers like Lucas and Masch in midfield.

United tried to play a passing game, they didn't have the muscle to compete with Liverpool because of injuries, the passing game didn't come off, it happens.

Personally I would prefer to lose every year at Anfield then to resort to playing 2 muscle men in midfield at home. It is not the United way and if it every turns out that we do play that tactic especially at home it will certainly be a sad day for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

Obviously a creative player like Carrick is going to be swamped when up against 2 limited brusers like Lucas and Masch in midfield.

United tried to play a passing game, they didn't have the muscle to compete with Liverpool because of injuries, the passing game didn't come off, it happens.

Personally I would prefer to lose every year at Anfield then to resort to playing 2 muscle men in midfield at home. It is not the United way and if it every turns out that we do play that tactic especially at home it will certainly be a sad day for me.

Carrick did not do a proper pass the whole game. He did not show any eagerness or intellingence when competing for loose balls.

Mr Alan wrote: »
    lol at your previous post boggles.

first choice, as in, sure thing to play the majority of games per season, incl all the big games.

There all big games Al. To think otherwise is one of the reasons teams are unsuccessful.

Right team selection for a certain game is key. Getting the balance right is key, managing the squad of players is key.

There is no small games when United are involved, when you are the champions every team your up against raise their game.

Carrick did not do a proper pass the whole game. He did not show any eagerness or intellingence when competing for loose balls.

I'm pretty sure this sweepen statement is incorrect, short of watching the whole match again I can't argue with you. Carrick certainly wasn't the worse United player on display for United Sunday.

its not when all else fails, nothing has "failed". i am simply laughing at your cheap shots at Liverpool.

Al, the fact of the matter is ye played basically 7 defenders against us, it's not a cheap shot it's a fact.

Burnley used the same tactic against United and they got the 3 points, because of the style United play they will lose 3-4 a season to bruising teams.

My point was and it's not having a go at any other team, Ferguson would never setup with 7-8 defenders to playing at home whatever the competition or opposition, it's simply not the United way.

I'm pretty sure this sweepen statement is incorrect, short of watching the whole match again I can't argue with you. Carrick certainly wasn't the worse United player on display for United Sunday.

I have always had my doubts about Carrick but anytime I have seen him at OT, he has been excellent, always in the correct position on the pitch. However, I have only seen him in the flesh against moderate teams and anytime he is up against either talent or guile, he does not do well.

He may not have been the worse player, but he did not perform, i.e. his passing was crap, and he did not win the ball back, even on occasions when he was nearer to loose balls. Scholes was not good either, but Scholes can still outpass Carrick on a bad day, and Darren Flethcher will out perform him with effort. Flethcher is now ahead of Carrick in the pecking order. I believe that Flethcer playing instead of Carrick on Sunday could have swung the game.

Players that I think played well on Sunday are Van De Sar, great save from free kick, Evra, nothing spectacular, but did his job, and Berbatov, some great touches, ball control, passes. I can't say anyone else did much, Valencia was decent I blame bad midfield for him not being utilised enough. It was clear early that he was a threat but he always had two in front of him after a while, and no support from his midfielders inside when he was blocked going forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Al, the fact of the matter is ye played basically 7 defenders against us, it's not a cheap shot it's a fact.

Burnley used the same tactic against United and they got the 3 points, because of the style United play they will lose 3-4 a season to bruising teams.

My point was and it's not having a go at any other team, Ferguson would never setup with 7-8 defenders to playing at home whatever the competition or opposition, it's simply not the United way.

i disagree quite strongly with all of the above & view it as nothing other than sour grapes, and i have little or no doubt most people who read it, incl the majority of Utd fans here will agree with me.

• Advertisement

i disagree quite strongly with all of the above & view it as none other than sour grapes, and i have little or no doubt most people who read it will agree with me.

What exactly do you disagree with.

Rafa picked 7 defenders at home against United on Sunday.

Correct or incorrect?

incorrect.

Lucas is a box to box midfielder, as evidenced by him making good runs & passes in & around your box on numerous occassions.

there is also the fact that for a period in the first half we were playing 4-4-2 with Yossi on the right.

Playing against 7 defenders and still outplayed in every position

incorrect.

Lucas is a box to box midfielder, as evidenced by him making good runs & passes in & around your box on numerous occassions.

there is also the fact that for a period in the first half we were playing 4-4-2 with Yossi on the right.

To be honest I havn't a clue what Lucas is, a box to box midfielder he isn't though.
    rarnes1 wrote: »
    Playing against 7 defenders and still outplayed in every position

Fair play to ye, as I already stated Ferguson would never be scared enough to play 7 defenders at home.

Liverpool won their cup final, there big match this year, as I said previously thats all they will win this year.

do you hear how petty you sound Boggles?

Honestly WTF are you talking about?

honestly,i no longer know

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,772 ✭✭✭✭Paul Tergat

honestly,i no longer know

meh, maybe you and some of your mates just see it differently to others.

Welcome to the forum by the way

How is petty when you already agree with me?

Are we both petty? :confused:

Anyways this is not the thread to be discussing Liverpool or their problems.

Wonder does Fergie remember this guy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTKiAVtUr-8

i disagree quite strongly with all of the above & view it as nothing other than sour grapes, and i have little or no doubt most people who read it, incl the majority of Utd fans here will agree with me.

Quite simply Liverpool won the game. Their players showed more determination to win not just the game, but the ball! And when you play with that determination you are likely to prevent the other team scoring. And when you have fernando torres on the team . . .

Anyways you get it. Liverpool wanted it, earned it, deserved it.

thanks to the vast majority of utd fans who see the game as it was, who know you were outplayed on the day, offensively and defensively, have enough about them to just move on and know it's just one game, and give your bitter rivals their due.

the lack of pettyness had been refreshing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

We were robbed ! ROBBED !

• Advertisement

SlickRic wrote: »
    thanks to the vast majority of utd fans who see the game as it was, who know you were outplayed on the day, offensively and defensively, have enough about them to just move on and know it's just one game, and give your bitter rivals their due.

WTF do you want a commemorative plaque?

Well done you won the match. Enjoy the DVD.

Are you that insecure that you need reassurance that ye did well?

Okay. Ye did Brilliant, ye won a match, I know it hadn't happened in the best part of a month but fair play to ye.

If you expect me to be gracious in defeat you can píss right off, I never am whether it be Burnley or Liverpool.

Okay. Ye did Brilliant, ye won a match, I know it hadn't happened in the best part of a month but fair play to ye.

If you expect me to be gracious in defeat you can píss right off, I never am whether it be Burnley or Liverpool.

as i've said, on numerous occasions, it's one game. you won't see me going overboard with this, that's not the point anyway.

you can be as ungracious as you want, i couldn't give a toss.

just commenting on the nature of the majority of posters in here.

the discussion had been open and civilised without cheap shots; and it meant for quite a decent atomosphere and constructive chat about both utd and liverpool.

now, take a valium for the love of God.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,861 ✭✭✭Irishcrx

Liverpool won the match fair enough, but ya's won't win the title and your form is still piss poor at the moment they are in a far worst state than united in my opinion.

Our midfield is going through a transformation at the minute in that Scholes and Giggs are getting on even though Giggs has been our best player this season, they aren't fit to play every match and Ferguson is switching players in and out Anderson, Fletch, Carrick , Park to try and find the first team choice. I agree Owen Hargreaves when he is fit will make a big differance I rate him highly and he is so versatile aswell. Also looking forward to seeing Obertan come in and hopefully make an inpact.

I actually think next season Ferguson will get rid of one or two mid players who are falling behind because we might have too many.

Giggs , Scholes , Carrick , Fletch , Nani , Obertan , Anderson , Hargreaves , Park unless of course retirements pending.

I'm sure they are all thrilled that you think their brilliant in defeat.
    the discussion had been open and civilised without cheap shots;

There was no cheap shots, your obviously offened by what I said, but what I said is pretty bang on the money IMO.
    and it meant for quite a decent atomosphere and constructive chat about both utd and liverpool.

That would be more suited to the match thread no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 409 ✭✭raido9

How is petty when you already agree with me?

Are we both petty? :confused:

you can be as ungracious as you want, i couldn't give a toss.

the discussion had been open and civilised without cheap shots; and it meant for quite a decent atomosphere and constructive chat about both utd and liverpool.

now, take a valium for the love of God.
    Seriously lads? Breathe before your next post. It was only a game. Utd lost - get over it Boggles. And if you want to vent, go back to the match thread.

SlickRic and Alan, off with ye too. Ye have better things to be writing about post victory, rather than coming across like bad winners.

Liverpool were the better team on the day. Both teams need to improve on their current form if they're going to be in with a shout come may.

Now, anyone got any team talk, gossip or rumours regarding Manchester United?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Thanks SLick, I hope it will be reciprocated when we have our revenge at Old Trafford.

The Muppet wrote: »
    Thanks SLick, I hope it will be reciprocated when we have our revenge at Old Trafford.

ha.

our little run over you can't last forever i suppose ;)

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Liverpool fans are becoming more small time than City fans with every season and game passing. I thought last year was bad when they were gloating over them beating us twice after we won the title. Like we give two sh1ts.

Enjoy your cup final win lads, 19 years and still counting...

• Subscribers Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

I don't know about this, Chelsea, Arsenal and Man United all have more points than they did at this stage last year. This would suggest a higher points total will win the league.

this simply isn't true.

copacetic wrote: »
    this simply isn't true.

It is if they indeed all do have more points than this time last year. It definetly suggests a higher points total will win the league.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

PORNAPSTER wrote: »
    Liverpool fans are becoming more small time than City fans with every season and game passing. I thought last year was bad when they were gloating over them beating us twice after we won the title. Like we give two sh1ts.

Yes you quiet obviously don't care! After some of the threads & posts on this forum last week we have every right to brag & boast

• Subscribers Posts: 16,596 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

It is if they indeed all do have more points than this time last year. It definetly suggests a higher points total will win the league.

They don't. Arsenal have the same as last year with this many games played, the other two have a point more. Which suggests nothing as the team played are much different.

copacetic wrote: »
    They don't. Arsenal have the same as last year with this many games played, the other two have a point more. Which suggests nothing as the team played are much different.

No, they are all still Premier League teams!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Bitter much?

Yes you quiet obviously don't care! After some of the threads & posts on this forum last week we have every right to brag & boast
    I don't personally. I got pissed off when I was watching the game, and then for a short while afterwards. Then I got over it, we have Blackburn next weekend and if we win that one we are still in good shape as far as the league is concerned.

As I said to all of the Liverpool fans I've met... "Well done on the victory, fully deserved. It was always going to be a Liverpool win, with them going so badly before it. They were up for it and United weren't. Hopefully it will give a few of the United players a good kick up the arse. They need it."

But gloating, especially given the fact that Liverpool won nothing last season, and are desperately trying to keep in touch with Chelsea and United at the top this season. You are in no position to gloat.

mike65 wrote: »
    Bitter much?
    May I direct you to my last post?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Of course fans are going to gloat after beating their biggest rivals, isn't that the point of a rivalry in the first place anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Barcelona at home in CL two years ago

get over yourselves. Barcelona at home in the CL two years ago. 11 men behind the ball for most of the game. Hardly anything created. Goal from long range.

Fair play to ye, as I already stated Ferguson would never be scared enough to play 7 defenders at home.

What about Barcelona at home in the CL two years ago?

Lucas was easily the best midfielder on Sunday. He was the most attack-minded out of Masch, him, Scholes and Carrick.

There was absolutely nothing defensive about Liverpool on Sunday. There never is at home. Unlike United in the example i gave (barcelona) we ALWAYS attack at home even against the big teams. Barcelona came here in the CL a couple of years ago and should have been 4 or 5 down at half time. Same with Real last season.

Fact is Rafa picked the only 2 CM's available to him. He wasn't scared into picking two bruisers (Lucas is anything but, he couldn't hurt a fly)

Stop being so bitter. So you were completely outplayed by Pool like you have been in the last 3 meetings between the sides. Not once was that down to us playing 7 defenders, and you know it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

But gloating, especially given the fact that Liverpool won nothing last season, and are desperately trying to keep in touch with Chelsea and United at the top this season. You are in no position to gloat.

who are six points off the pace, have lost twice as many games in the first 10 as they did in the whole of last year have lost 4 of their last 5 on the verge of exiting the CL.

gloating is not what i'd be doing.

praying might be more useful at this point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Stop being so bitter. So you were completely outplayed by Pool like you have been in the last 3 meetings between the sides. Not once was that down to us playing 7 defenders, and you know it.

you didn't watch the 2-1 defeat at anfield then.

outplayed?

you got lucky, and needed an OG to clinch it.

short memory?

Advertisement