Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool V Manchester United Sunday 26th oct 2009 2.00pm (Mod note - #967)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Personally I find the 7/4 being offered by Ladbrokes for a Liverpool win to be very tight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭CoachBoone

I think the point he might be trying to make can be summed up like this.

Compare the odds of tomorrow's match in isolation against the probability of one of the big 4 losing 5 games in a row.

I haven't worked out the maths but I reckon the odds of a 5th defeat in a row is quite low.

So Everyone should lump their money, never mind money their houses, on Liverpool then? I mean, 5 defeats in a row is so unlikely that it prob happens only 1/32 times? So... a win/draw tomorrow happens 31/32 times?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 333 ✭✭CoachBoone

Its funny that because of the fact that Liverpool have lost 4 in a row United fans should be more confident going into this game than any other game in the last 4/5 years (at least, if not longer). Way more confident.

Yet, they aren't? It doesnt make any sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

I think the point he might be trying to make can be summed up like this.

Compare the odds of tomorrow's match in isolation against the probability of one of the big 4 losing 5 games in a row.

I haven't worked out the maths but I reckon the odds of a 5th defeat in a row is quite low.

Oh Christ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

CoachBoone wrote: »
    Its funny that because of the fact that Liverpool have lost 4 in a row United fans should be more confident going into this game than any other game in the last 4/5 years (at least, if not longer). Way more confident.

Yet, they aren't? It doesnt make any sense.

Look at the Liverpools starting eleven from last years corresponding fixture, look how weak it looks, it worked for a change, look at it now, look how weak it looks...

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

I pressume the reason some United fans aren't confident about the game is because it would be just typical football for a team in such bad form to come out of it by beating their biggest rival.

In my opinion a huge factor which could decide the outcome of the game is who will be able to play, Fletcher or Gerrard! I don't think Torres or Rooney being fit is as important as those two.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

personally if i had a choice between Torres or Gerrard being fit, i'd pick Torres every day of the week.

we have yossi who can play Gerrards role very very well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,852 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

kryogen wrote: »
    has anyone got a line on the over or under for amount of posters banned by Monday morning??

i fancy a flutter
    ;)

I'm not going to post on the game once kickoff comes around. During and After the match.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭d22ontour

Mr Alan wrote: »
    personally if i had a choice between Torres or Gerrard being fit, i'd pick Torres every day of the week.

we have yossi who can play Gerrards role very very well.
    Considering Torres did nadda the season before , i would have thought Gerrard would have been the better option ? You would pick Torres hoping Vidic was as poor as he was in those games last year knowing if our centre backs are on form that Torres will cry like the bish he can be ? :D

em, wat are you talking about?

i said i'd pick Torres because Yossi is closer able to fill in the gap left if Gerrard is out than Ngog/Kuyt or Babel are if Torres is out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭KombuchaMshroom

I personally don't think it matters too much if Torres makes the game unless Gerrard makes it. Won't make a huge difference having your best forward available if you can't get any delivery to him.

If it was a question of Torres or Gerrard which would you prefer, giving poor supply to a world class striker in Torres, or very good supply to a good striker like Kuyt.

i think Yossi has worked very well with Torres in the past, as has Kuyt.

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Gerrard never shows up in these games though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

Would like to apologize in advance for my drunken comments that will surely come after the game if I feel that there has been any injustice done...

this is what i am hoping for.

reina
    johnson-carra-agger-insua
    lucas--masch
    --kuyt----yossi----aurelio-
    torres

thats working under the assumption that gerrard aint going to make it which i dont think he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Gerrard never shows up in these games though.

*Ahem*

Old Trafford last season.

Scored a penalty
    Made the run that caused Evra to foul him for the aforementioned penalty.
    Made the run that caused Vidic to foul him and get sent off causing the freekick from which Aurelio scored

*Ahem*

(I won't mention the little things like the two goals against Madrid last season, the 2006 FA Cup Final, or Istanbull either.)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭podge018

Jimmy Rice 23 October 2009
    Rafa Benitez will take charge of his 200th league game for Liverpool on Sunday - and we've unearthed some fascinating statistics comparing the Spaniard's record to rival managers.
    Benitez has won 113 of his 199 top-flight clashes since taking charge of Liverpool in 2004 - an impressive 56.8 per cent.

This compares favourably to the records of Alex Ferguson and Arsene Wenger in their first 200 league games.

Ferguson won just 87 from 200 (43.5 per cent) after joining Manchester United in 1986 - and it took the Scot almost seven years to collect a league title.

Wenger triumphed in 110 (55 per cent) of his first 200 league matches following his appointment at Highbury in 1996 - a stat which was good enough at the time to win him a championship trophy in 1997-98.

Meanwhile, just one Liverpool manager from down the years can boast a better record than Benitez.

Kenny Dalglish won 120 of his first 200 (60 per cent) league games.

Bob Paisley totted up 113 victories (56.5 per cent), Bill Shankly 106 (53 per cent) and Gerard Houllier 101 (50.5 per cent).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Liam O wrote: »
    Would like to apologize in advance for my drunken comments that will surely come after the game if I feel that there has been any injustice done...

I can ban you in advance if you'd prefer ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,604 ✭✭✭Kev_ps3

I can see Pool winning this. Playing at home and need the win alot more then Utd. Plus Rooney and Fletcher are out for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Johnson and Torres took part in full training sessions yesterday. Looking good for the pair of them. I think we will see the following.

Reina

Johnson---Carra---Agger----Insua

Lucas--Masch

--Kuyt
    Benny
    Aurelio

Torres

Although Rafa may surprise us and play Aurelio at left back and Babel as one of the attacking three.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

awesome news Tusky.

Torres' fitness was definitely a priority in my mind over Gerrard's for this.

let's give Vidic nightmares again ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Great to see.

manutraining3.jpg
    manutraining4.jpg
    manutraining9.jpg
    manutraining5.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Torres going in a bit strong on Aquilani's ankle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Tusky wrote: »
    Great to see.

manutraining3.jpg
    manutraining4.jpg
    manutraining9.jpg
    manutraining5.jpg
    That's easily done with Photoshop, crafty Rafa strikes again!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭Harpy

any news on rooney and fletcher?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Im looking forward to seeing king Eric's masks tomorrow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

Headshot wrote: »
    Im looking forward to seeing king Eric's masks tomorrow

masks?

Eric is going to be there.

can't wait!!!

"great to see" ;)

and a few beach balls to boot

hopefully liverpool will be deflated tomorrow

Going to be a serious atmosphere tomorrow. The Cantona masks are going to be brilliant.

I hope the match lives up to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,369 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Headshot wrote: »
    hopefully liverpool will be deflated tomorrow

good God man,

a pun in every thread?!

really?

:pac:

• Advertisement

Actually it would be the sickest thing ever if Cantona was actually there. Collar up.

Man, I'd ****in love that.

Actually it would be the sickest thing ever if Cantona was actually there. Collar up.

Man, I'd ****in love that.

i don't know about collary up

but HE will be there.

SlickRic wrote: »
    good God man,

a pun in every thread?!

really?

:pac:
    concerning tomorrows game
    dont get an inflated ego now

ntlbell wrote: »
    i don't know about collary up

but HE will be there.

Honestly now?

Not just all the fans wearing masks? The man himself will be there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,442 ✭✭✭Bandit12

Holy smoke i'm excited about this one. Up to the lads house in the morning for the early flight. Fingers crossed i make it in time for the protest. Will check back in tomorrow night to check on the in game thread. Hope it's as funny as the last time we played the mancs.:pac:

Honestly now?

Not just all the fans wearing masks? The man himself will be there?

Yes in all his glorly.

I don't think I'll sleep tonight!

this is GOING TO BE GREAT!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

It would be sweet revenge for the humbling at Old Trafford to beat Liverpool at Anfield and virtually put them out of the title race. I can't see it happening however as while United have got results the performances haven't been top drawer by any means. Liverpool I'm sure will play like their lives depend on it. Having said all that if Gerrard misses out then United have got a very good chance of nicking it. I reckon it's going to end up 1-1 though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

I'm pretty nervous about this one. Don't think Liverpool are anywhere near as shít as they're playing.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

I cannot for the life of me see a winner here tommorow.

Pool are chronic lately, horrendous.
    Utd havnt had the performances yet.
    Pool will play like beavers but unless Gerrard and Torres last most of the game Pool will be in trouble.
    Utd dont have Ronaldo.

1-1 Draw, infact im so confident it will be a draw I have a grand on it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Tusky wrote: »
    Great to see.
    manutraining4.jpg

Is injury-proneness contagious? even just in case, I'd keep Torres well away from Aurelio :pac:

Anyone who doesn't bet on Liverpool 0-1 Manchester United is away with the leprechauns.

Nani's right shoulder blade to get the final touch.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

nice and quiet in here at the minute isnt it? calm before the storm possibly :D

I would just like to extend a handshake to the liverpool fans and say good luck! hope this is a cracker

Cant call a winner myself as form goes out the window in these games!

lifes_a_beach.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I would just like to extend a handshake to the liverpool fans and say good luck! hope this is a cracker

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

cant wait now i actually hope he plays aurelio at left back, insua has been brilliant this year except the last couple of matchs getting caught out a bit. time to give aurelio his chance i think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Really looking forward to thie game , this is always the biggest game of the season for me. There's added spice this year given last years results etc. I hope the officals have a good game so that all there's to talk about afterwards is the football.

Form doesn't count for this one, Good luck to both teams.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

nice and quiet in here at the minute isnt it? calm before the storm possibly :D

Cant call a winner myself as form goes out the window in these games!

Great post mate, i fear for Pool today but at the same time wouldnt be surprised if we turned utd over either.
    So delicately poised.
    Lets just hope people keep it clean in here this afternoon.
    Good luck to you all and lets hope for a great game regardless of the result.

no hope for fletcher, really big loss :mad:

link ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

thats a bit of good news (if true) for us pool fans fletcher is a massive loss for yas, these type of matchs usually bring out his best

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ghouldaddy07

Fail :(

Advertisement