Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of building my own PC

Options
  • 20-10-2009 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭

Hi all

I have a thread going regarding a Graphics card in building and upgrading also
    However my mind is now occupied with the idea of building my own machine.

I was researching Intel processors and happened to try and and choose one and get a price.

I keep getting links to prebuilt PC's and not the price of the processors.

Is there any sites I can go to that will make choosing parts a hell of a lot easier??

Thanks

John

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

johnc24 wrote: »
    Hi all

I have a thread going regarding a Graphics card in building and upgrading also
    However my mind is now occupied with the idea of building my own machine.

I was researching Intel processors and happened to try and and choose one and get a price.

I keep getting links to prebuilt PC's and not the price of the processors.

Is there any sites I can go to that will make choosing parts a hell of a lot easier??

Thanks

John

www.hardwareversand.de (Best prices)

Some Irish options:
    www.komplett.ie
    www.elara.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

marco_polo wrote: »
    www.hardwareversand.de (Best prices)

Some Irish options:
    www.komplett.ie
    www.elara.ie

Or try www.ebuyer.com. UK Company (so prices are cheaper) and its a Flat Rate £9.99 Parcelforce/GLS shipping to Ireland (as long as you are not buying like 7 tons of stuff :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭johnc24

Hi folks

Thanks for the links.

This will be my first time build.

I would appreciate some tips, advice, guidance on any section of it anyone would like to contribute.

When looking for components , what are some things I really should be looking out for?

Sorry if I sound a complete noobie but I am, I'm afraid!!

Rgds
    John

Hi folks

Thanks for the links.

This will be my first time build.

I would appreciate some tips, advice, guidance on any section of it anyone would like to contribute.

When looking for components , what are some things I really should be looking out for?

Sorry if I sound a complete noobie but I am, I'm afraid!!

Rgds
    John
    Don't worry, we all were newbies at one point :D At least you are not a n00b and are asking for advice :P
    Basically, to have a complete build you need:
    Case
    Power Supply
    Motherboard
    RAM
    Processor
    Graphics Card
    Optical Drive (DVD Drive)
    1 or more Hard Drives (preferably 2 or more so you can backup without the risk of one HDD Assplosion killing everything)
    Monitor
    Keyboard/Mouse.

Ventilation is important too. Airflow is very important to make sure your PC doesn't overheat.
    Now, we need a bit more info :) What exactly is this PC going to be for? Work, Gaming, Solitaire? The intended use is the most important factor when building a PC. A rig that is only going to be browsing the interwebs and playing MS Solitare does not need 12GB of DDr3 2000 Memory, a OMGWTFBBQ Watercooling super overclocked CPU and Triple GPU :P

And one but of free advice: Generic "Extra Value" brands are like that for a reason. Don't go near them unless its for a spare stopgap part.

But, if you are looking for recommendations, here are my personal picks for good brands:
    Case: Coolermaster, Antec
    Case Fans: Generally supplied, but usually poor Quality. Replace with Scythe Case Fans.
    Power Supply: Corsair
    Motherboard: Gigabyte, Asus, MSI
    RAM: Corsair, Kingston, OCZ
    Processor: Only 2 really, AMD or Intel, but it depends on what you are doing with the PC
    Processor Cooler: Xigmatek, Arctic Cooling, Scythe.
    Graphics Card: ATi hands down. For the Brands, you want Sapphire or XFX
    Optical Drive (DVD Drive): So little difference it doesn't matter. I am partial to SATA Sony devices though.
    Hard Drives: Seagate or Western Digital
    Monitor: Not much difference. All I can recommend is DO NOT BUY ONLINE. Go to the store, ask them to turn it on BEFORE you buy it. These stores have very nasty ways to get around taking back a monitor with dead pixels.
    Keyboard/Mouse: Whatever floats your boat.

Leman_Russ wrote: »
    Now, we need a bit more info :) What exactly is this PC going to be for? Work, Gaming, Solitare? The intended use is the most important factor when building a PC.

Leman_Russ

Thanks for your help.

It will be only used to run the calculator program...I am an accountant..........jk

Well more than anything it will be used for photography, Flight Sim 2004 (Not FSX), Photoshop, internet etc. Nothing out of this world, but my take on it is only a PC is fast enough when my brain can't keep up. ( I think I pinched that from somewhere else on the site but I love it!)

• Advertisement

I am going to post links of what I have my eye on so far.

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/165414 - Case

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=491786 - Mobo

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=365998 - Processor

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=325571 - RAM 4GB Total purchase

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=451175 - Graphics Card

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=488153 - DVD Burner + Blu ray playback

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=478452 - Hard Drive

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=343837 - Noctua CPU Cooler

I am unsure about what type of PSU I would need for this. Also please add/delete/change the setup as you see fit.

I am workng the list, will update throughout the afternoon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

but my take on it is only a PC is fast enough when my brain can't keep up. ( I think I pinched that from somewhere else on the site but I love it!)

Yeah i remember that! lol

Well unfortunately for you using photoshop... it means that an amd build is not going to be your friend and a more expensive intel processor and chipset will be the way to go.

The unfortunate thing about the quote above is that there is a point where programs stop benefiting from the increased amount of money pumped into the system.
    In words you'd definitely understand, it's a bit like "diminishing marginal returns".

I'm just wondering to myself if a core i5 build would be a waste of your money...

I just did an i5 build there and it came to 630 delivered and build or 610 just delivered and ready for you to try figure out the jigsaw puzzle.
    The gpu was an ATI 4770(not sure if you even need this). And i didn't include an operating system.

Just out of interest, will you be getting the tax back on this build? If you'll be using it for work you could prob claim!

Effluo wrote: »

Just out of interest, will you be getting the tax back on this build? If you'll be using it for work you could prob claim!

No I would not.

The setup I set out above is a starting block if you like, I hope to change and replace items on the list for alternatives to bring my costs down.

No I would not.

The setup I set out above is a starting block if you like, I hope to change and replace items on the list for alternatives to bring my costs down.

Well in that case, I can tell you now your CPU and Mobo are far too "high end" for what you want :)

I'll jump onto ebuyer and make you up a list :P

There are problems with the build you put up there, the general one being is that you have many high end components in what should be a low-medium end build(there's a incompatibility issue too).

Photoshop is the most intense program you use and here's a build that will run photoshop along with all your other programs very well.

Just wondering too is there any reason why you decided to go for a blu-ray reader? If you don't have a full hd screen then you will not be able to make use of it. (while you're thinking about that you may aswell tell us what type of screen you have ;))

Looking at the case you chose beforehand, i put in one with a case window and blu led fan.
    The motherboard does not have any heatsinks build in to it, but if you won't be overclocking then this is not an issue.

The cpu cooler will be nice and quiet you may want to get another fan for the front of the case.

I don't feel exactly comfortable giving you this build because i have a feeling that it may be slight overkill

• Advertisement

On the plus side, it will last a good while :D

To be fair, the i5 to me doesn't seem like overkill. i5 is EXCELLENT value IMO. I've been able to OC it to 4GHz stable with Low-Mid Range parts, and its "Drawbacks" of Dual Channel and x8/x8 PCIe are so mild, especialy for the use John is looking for, I don't see the problem tbh.

Effluo wrote: »
    Just wondering too is there any reason why you decided to go for a blu-ray reader? If you don't have a full hd screen then you will not be able to make use of it. (while you're thinking about that you may aswell tell us what type of screen you have ;))

Oddly I don't know why, I guess in case I ever update my monitor it would be nice to have.

I have a HPw1907v 19" monitor with 1440*900 max res

I think what I have wanted is someone to build me a list of components as it is a minefield out there to me if I am to be honest.

Thanks guys appreciate the help on this

Effluo

I don't think its overkill, i think its a very good step up from my current config. and thank you very much for taking the time to do that for me.

My plan is to try and sell my desktop and keep the monitor and make up the difference

I have at the moment the HPa6085.

Mainboard

Chipset Type: Intel 945G Express
    Data Bus Speed: 1066 MHz
    Card reader

Type: 15 in 1 card reader
    Supported Flash Memory Cards: CompactFlash Card type I, CompactFlash Card type II, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, Microdrive, MultiMediaCard, SD Memory Card, SmartMedia Card, Memory Stick Duo, xD-Picture Card, Memory Stick PRO Duo, miniSD, RS-MMC, MultiMediaCardmobile, MultiMediaCardplus
    Graphics controller

Type: PCI Express x16 - plug-in card
    Graphics Processor / Vendor: ATI Radeon X1650 SE
    Video Memory: 512 MB DDR SDRAM
    Digital Video Standard: Digital Visual Interface (DVI)
    Multimedia functionality

TV Tuner Type: Digital and analogue TV
    Digital TV Reception: DVB-T

4GB RAM DDR2.

How much could I sell that for do you reckon folks?

How much could I sell that for do you reckon folks?
    Less than the petrol it costs to deliver it :P

I would advise AGAINST selling an old build.

You never know when you might need it for an emergency, say, something's wrong with your new build and you need to get onto the net to Troubleshoot :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Parcelforce/GLS
    Avoid these like the plague. Esp GLS. There's a thread of how bad these cowboys are.

=-=

If buying from Komplett, you can pick up your order from their depot in Blanchardstown (it's on the Swords side of the village).

Map of how to get there from Swords if driving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

Just be aware that if you build a pc, you have to build it yourself, which is quite difficult for someone with no computer knowledge, many people here can't relate to that, but trust me it is hard. If thats what you want to do, then go for it.

Another option is to order the PC from a site like hardwareversand.de and they will build it for you. The problem you then face is having to install all the drivers and windows etc and as far as I can see, you bought your PC as a total package with most things already set up on it? (a way around this is to buy Windows and get them to install it for you with the drivers for an extra expense)

If you aren't ready for a build and installing drivers and everything (you cannot find the processor in your pc so it will be a challenge) then your third option is just to order a better PC with windows already on it and ready to go (like a dell for example, but it will be much more expensive and less powerful than if you were to build)

Its like buying a car, it may not be as fast or as budget as a kit car, but when you buy it, it just works straight away.

Once you make your choice, then go for it. I am saying now that your Pavillion is not too bad, I believe it has a dual core AMD and when you fit a 4770 then it should perform okay. However if you are very into really increasing your photoshop efficiency and are prepared to build, then go for a build that one of the guys here provides.

the_syco wrote: »
    Avoid these like the plague.

=-=

If buying from Komplett, you can pick up your order from their depot in Blanchardstown (it's on the Swords side of the village, if I remember correctly.

There is nothing wrong with them. I have ordered from eBuyer multiple times. It is a Flat £9.99 shipping fee and it gets to you in 3-4 days. One time I had it arrive the next day.

Komplett are overpriced and make you pay €13+ Euro for Standard Post or €20 in petrol to pick it up.

Some nasty issues on the biz >>> komplett forum right now...

Hi guys

just one more quick question regarding this thread, I really would like the experience of doing my own build, however I am torn between doing exactly that, a new build or upgrade my own PC

The PC at the moment, is HPa6085 which has one the guys said a very old mobo chipset, and I know the graphics card is an old X1650.

That in mind should I maybe get a new mobo and graphics card, and some good quality high speed RAM. My Processer is a Intel Dual Core 2 2.66Ghz so not the worst CPU.

I am in two minds, help me out please...

Rgds
    John

New PC. :D

• Advertisement

Easy Answer! but will you help me I can't get it going?

Heh, No problem. Just a few more questions :P

When you say photo-shop, do you mean professional photo manipulation or just mucking about with your holiday snaps?

In any case, from what you say I think a Medium-Low to Medium end Build will do you just fine IMO. The only problem is, as said, AMD is a lot cheaper, but Intel will give better performance.

In Any case, this is what I recommend:
    Case & PSU:
    A simple, cheap case, as you are not doing anything too drastic. Power Supply is modular, so it reduces clutter. Good for a basic build. The PSU will be more than sufficient and allows for you to add more stuff as time goes on.
    Antec 300 Three Hundred Black Case + Antec TruePower New 550W Modular PSU

Graphics Card
    Cheap ATi 4850. Not DX11, but from what you say, you won't need it. This will be more than powerful enough to run your flight sims and should last a good while :)
    Sapphire HD 4850

No Difference really between makes. Retail box.
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/172821

1 or more Hard Drives
    No Excuse not to get at least 1TB nowadays.
    Samsung HD103SJ 1TB *2

Monitor/Keyboard/Mouse.

Buy Locally or use your old one :)

CPU:
    Some say the i5 750 will be too much, but I say STFU. It's epic value for money. No Really, like, super value. I run one myself, and it is blistering fast, even at stock. And will age "well", as well as PC bits age I suppose.
    Intel Core i5 750

Motherboard:
    Gigabyte. Simple really :) The P55M-UD2 is a Micro ATX board, but all that means it is a bit smaller than a normal Mobo. If you are not planing on medium-high overclocking or multi GPU set-ups, this will be fine. Gigabyte also have a program called "Easytune", 1 click and it auto-overclocks for you :)
    Gigabyte GA-P55M-UD2

Ram:
    Dual Channel means it is better to have 2 sticks rather than one, so I recommend 2 of the following Kingston Ram, however, you can just get 1 if you wish, it won't affect the speed really.
    Kingston 2GB DDR3 1066MHz i5 Memory Module CL7 *2

CPU Cooler:
    If you are not overclocking, the Stock cooler should be fine.

Case Fans:
    One downside to the Antec 300 is the lack of front and side fans. Fix this buy buying some Scythe Slipstream ones. I use the 1900 RMP ones, but they are quite powerful and loudish, and I overclock everything, so I need it :P A lower RPM would be better for you.
    Scythe Kaze Jyuni 1200RPM Slip Stream 120mm Fan *3

Total Cost:
    £608.77 from ebuyer
    €36 from QuietPC

Oh no I left out a vital word in the above statement. I wanted to say ......help me IF I can't get it going.

I feel bad now after you went to the trouble of recommending a rig....:p
    In any case, from what you say I think a Medium-Low to Medium end Build will do you just fine IMO.

You see I appreciate the fact that it will do me just fine, but I cant help it, I want a Medium to high build, not massive, maybe a peg or two above your recommended spec.

So if I was to put you under pressure and ask for another recommendation going "a peg or two" above the previous rig, I would be really grateful.

Also I went out and purchased Haynes Build your own computer, so I will get used to all the jargon and what not's soon enough.

Thanks again

Ha, ok then :P

What's your overall budget and will you be able to re-use any parts from your old PC? Knowing that will help me pick the best bits :)

And don't worry, building a PC is the easiest thing in the world. The hard bit is knowing what plugs into where :P

Ha, ok then :P

What's your overall budget and will you be able to re-use any parts from your old PC? Knowing that will help me pick the best bits

Well....lets see, the budget would be around €800 - €1000.

The only thing reusable part I can think of is the Intel Dual Core 2 2.66Ghz...E6700.
    I have 4GB RAM but which is DDR2 and its speed is 667Mhz. To be honest I want to head towards DDR3 and 1033Mhz speed.

Anything else I can offer to your assistance just shout.

Tx :)

*****By the way I really like this motherboard

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/172654

Well....lets see, the budget would be around €800 - €1000.

The only thing reusable part I can think of is the Intel Dual Core 2 2.66Ghz...E6700.
    So you'll be wanting to buy a new Monitor/Keyboard/Mouse as well?
    *****By the way I really like this motherboard

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/172654
    Never been a fan of MSI myself, but they are one of the top Teir Mobo makers. You can do a lot worse (coughasrockcough).

Also, with a budget of ~€900, You can make a fantastic rig :) Now I know, I can start to up some parts :P

So you'll be wanting to buy a new Monitor/Keyboard/Mouse as well

Not really pushed to be honest

Never been a fan of MSI myself, but they are one of the top Teir Mobo makers. You can do a lot worse (coughasrockcough)

hmm, maybe a recommended board of similar calibre?

Hmm, maybe a recommended board of similar calibre?

Don't get me wrong, the MSI is recommended, it's an excelent Board, I am just a Gigabyte Fanboi :D

New List! :D

Case & PSU:
    CM Storm Scout and a Corsair 650w PSU. I have the CM Storm Scout myself, it is a WONDERFUL case, I love it to bits so I do. And It looks the dogs bollox too :)
    CM Storm Scout Case
    Corsair 650W HX Modular PSU

Graphics Card
    An Sapphire HD 5770 1GB GDDR5. DX11 compatible and totally future proof. Can support up to 3 monitors, and will be able to play almost any game from 2007 or before at "OMFGWTFBBQAHHHHH" level :P

No Difference really between makes. Retail box.
    http://www.ebuyer.com/product/172821

1 or more Hard Drives
    No Excuse not to get at least 1TB nowadays.
    Samsung HD103SJ 1TB *2

CPU:
    Some say the i5 750 will be too much, but I say STFU. It's epic value for money. No Really, like, super value. I run one myself, and it is blistering fast, even at stock. And will age "well", as well as PC bits age I suppose.
    Intel Core i5 750

Motherboard:
    Either get the MSI you liked (it is a nice board) or the equivilent Gigabyte board, the GA-P55-UD4.

Ram:
    Dual Channel means it is better to have 2 sticks rather than one, so I recommend 2 of the following Kingston Ram, however, you can just get 1 if you wish, it won't affect the speed really.
    Kingston 2GB DDR3 1066MHz i5 Memory Module CL7 *2

CPU Cooler:
    Better to be safe than sorry, replace the stock fan with this Scythe Heatsink

Case Fans:
    One downside to the CM Storm is the lack of side fans. Fix this buy buying 2 Scythe Slipstream ones. I use the 1900 RMP ones, but they are quite powerful and loudish, and I overclock everything, so I need it :P A lower RPM might be better for you.
    Scythe Kaze Jyuni 1200RPM Slip Stream 120mm Fan *2
    The 1900 RMP are the same price though, so it is up to you.

Total Cost:
    £820 from ebuyer
    €26 from QuietPC[/QUOTE]
    All in all it comes to just a little more than €900. The monitor/keyboard/mouse you are better off buying locally or using from your old build.

• Advertisement

Thanks very much man, ill have a peep at all the stuff now.

wow a nice rig, I love the case looks really cool!

I would prob stick with the MSI mobo.

I don't like the words valueRAM in the pic, sounds kinda OEM'y although the specs of it look fine but I'm sure you understand what i'm saying.

and thanks again for taking the time out to do this:)

Advertisement