Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of building my own PC

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Leman_Russ wrote: »
    Case & PSU:
    CM Storm Scout and a Corsair 650w PSU. I have the CM Storm Scout myself, it is a WONDERFUL case, I love it to bits so I do. And It looks the dogs bollox too :)
    CM Storm Scout Case
    Corsair 650W HX Modular PSU

another case worth looking at is the HAF922. Slightly more expensive, but a bit more roomy inside, and I think the stock fans are better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

johnc24 wrote: »
    Thanks very much man, ill have a peep at all the stuff now.

wow a nice rig, I love the case looks really cool!

I would prob stick with the MSI mobo.

I don't like the words valueRAM in the pic, sounds kinda OEM'y although the specs of it look fine but I'm sure you understand what i'm saying.

and thanks again for taking the time out to do this:)
    Trust me, the more expensive ram is not worth it. That ram I linked? I run the 1333 version of it. I was able to get it to run at 1600MHz 10-10-10 timings just fine, though ATM I run it at 1200MHz at 6-6-6 timings on stock voltage, because I can :)
    Kingston Valuram is t3h win.
    another case worth looking at is the HAF922. Slightly more expensive, but a bit more roomy inside, and I think the stock fans are better.
    Aye, but be honest, who uses stock fans nowadays when you can get things like the Scythe Slipstreams for a tenner? :P

What I really liked about the storm was that all the cables were pre-routed behind the motherboard plate. Small thing but was handy IMO :)

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭johnc24

I just looked at loads of video reviews of the storm scout, I agree with Leman Russ, handy for the cables and a really cool case. I love it!

Just remember that if you are going to have a super large tower heatsink, you won't be able to fit both side panel fans (on the inside anyway ;)). I am using a 160mm tall Thor's Hammer, and I have had to stick a fan on the outside. I don't mind, I knew it was gonna be that way, but just something to keep in mind.

I have been tinkering around with a lot of ideas and suggestions folks have sent my way.

Between setting a budget and trying to cut costs and make a almost final list I cam up with this

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/basket.jsp?basket.rem=3&basket.tkt=1362

I just wonder would I be better off getting the 650W PSU u recommend or would the 400W suffice? and add about €40 for the valuram on that total price since you say its good enough.

Thanks
    J

• Advertisement

I have been tinkering around with a lot of ideas and suggestions folks have sent my way.

Between setting a budget and trying to cut costs and make a almost final list I cam up with this

http://www2.hardwareversand.de/basket.jsp?basket.rem=3&basket.tkt=1362

I just wonder would I be better off getting the 650W PSU u recommend or would the 400W suffice? and add about €40 for the valuram on that total price since you say its good enough.

Thanks
    J
    The link doesn't work :) You need to take a Screenshot and post the image up.

And Yes, get the 650w PSU. You lose nothing by having a bit too much, but if it's too low, the PC won't run! 650 also gives you options in the future, such as a second GPU or lots more Hard Drives.

ahhhhhhhhhhhh..........**** a duck anyway!!!!

Only valid for an hour it tells me!!!!

Ill do it again, sitting here trying to fix my macbook anyway.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

Well whatever you do don't order stuff that isn't in stock and doesn't esp. when it doesn't even say when it should be in!

A 5770 for €130 is pretty good value, but don't expect it to be available at that price until Nvidia release their dx11 cards!(+ even then there are no gaurantees)
    Cpu cooler may not fit onto that board.

IMO the build is just all OTT for what you'll be doing with it, Cpu cooler may not fit onto that board.
    It will be only used to run the calculator program...I am an accountant..........jk

Well more than anything it will be used for photography, Flight Sim 2004 (Not FSX), Photoshop, internet etc.

An i5 will not noticably increase the speed of your office software, nor will it be better than your current proc with FS2004, look at this http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-reviews/22151-intel-lynnfield-core-i5-750-core-i7-870-processor-review-14.html

It shows in the photoshop benchmark, an improvement of 1 single second per test stage over the dual core e8400(which is not that much better than your current proc)!

Any problems you were having with your current system would be due to your terribly outdated gpu and maybe that you hadn't reinstalled the operating system.

4gigs of ddr2 667mhz ram, and a 2.66ghz processor?
    That's a top quality setup! More than enough for any game going to run well. And that is another fact!

This is the link to your pocket & pc's happiness
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=451175

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Unless you have one of the super-de-dooper-expensive CS4 versions, regular Photoshop is dual-threaded, not multithreaded, so anything past a fast dualie is a waste. The only things I can remember about the build is the 2.4GHz C2D and naff mobo. So if you need a new CPU you'd be well off with a new build, but otherwise I'd advocate the new graphics card and maybe OC the CPU if the mobo will let you; unless you have said CS4 Pro or hardcore gaming with newer multithreaded titles a new PC is a bit of an economic black hole IMHO...

• Advertisement

Solitaire wrote: »
    Unless you have one of the super-de-dooper-expensive CS4 versions, regular Photoshop is dual-threaded, not multithreaded, so anything past a fast dualie is a waste. The only things I can remember about the build is the 2.4GHz C2D and naff mobo. So if you need a new CPU you'd be well off with a new build, but otherwise I'd advocate the new graphics card and maybe OC the CPU if the mobo will let you; unless you have said CS4 Pro or hardcore gaming with newer multithreaded titles a new PC is a bit of an economic black hole IMHO...

As it happens I do run CS4 and Lightroom, and some video stuff but not much.

Can't OC due HP Limitations on a pre built.

Mostly I just want to build one...and im like the stig I just like it to be fast!

Any problems you were having with your current system would be due to your terribly outdated gpu and maybe that you hadn't reinstalled the operating system.

I never said I was having issues, I just like to keep up. I reinstall my OS about every 6 months.
    4gigs of ddr2 667mhz ram, and a 2.66ghz processor?
    That's a top quality setup! More than enough for any game going to run well. And that is another fact!

I know its good, I just want to build a machine, future proof if, my way, my components, my rules! Pre Built is nonsense!

Hi all

another variation of the setups, hope it works.

First things first with the last build you posted up...
    There're a few incompatibilites! i5 motherboard with a c2d proc. The increase in performance between in the rig you posted there and you're old rig is now just ridiculously low...

Also if you fancied getting a 4870 then just get this one http://www.ebuyer.com/product/169206, the difference on your screen would be nigh http://www.ebuyer.com/product/169206 (which i think i might post in BA btw)
    I know its good, I just want to build a machine, future proof if, my way, my components, my rules! Pre Built is nonsense!

I don't want to go on about it but i think you should know at least that "futureproofing" is a fallacy. It really doesn't exist... Pre-built isn't actually nonsense either... For around 80+% of users i'd happily recommend a bottom of the line dell!

If it's just gonna be a toy, fair enough if you want to spend 1k+ on a toy which will look a bit cooler, might frustrate you to hell and won't offer you any noticeably significant performance increase(when you could just get a 4770). Well that's entirely your business.

I just get the feeling that you may end up being very disappointed due to your new rigs lack of improvement when you actually put it together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

I strongly agree with Effluo.

Your PC is fine now, a nice core2duo processor, 4 gigs ram, the only thing lacking is a decent graphics card..

In your situation if I was intent on building, I would just order a 4770 graphics card put it in, then spend a month or two reading up on all the components, and really get into it, then purchase/build your perfect PC.

Above, you have just specced a machine with a 2 year old processor, which wouldn't be astonishingly faster than your own PC now.

DDR3 1800mhz ram is only a few percent faster overall than DDR2 800mhz ram, a 512 mb graphics card can be twice as fast as 2 x 1 gig graphics cards in SLI. People new to building sometimes don't know these things and can easily get the wrong spec.

If you are determined to build and want a machine that is noticeably faster than your own PC (+ 4770 gfx), then I suggest i5 build, quad core chip, and definitely an SSD harddrive. Otherwise you won't see much of a difference.

Also, a very handy tip, if you don't know much about PC's and your PC is feeling a little more sluggish now than when it was new.. go download this..
    http://download.cnet.com/Advanced-SystemCare-Free/3000-2086_4-10407614.html?tag=mncol

thats windows care, you can defrag harddrive/registry, scan for errors, etc, etc basically unclog and clean all the junk out of the PC.

Thanks guys

I am hearing you. I guess I am just looking for a winter project. The more I think and while you guys are patiently trying to drum into me I that I merely need to do some work on my own PC is starting to make more sense now.

The reason I choose the Dual Core was folks were saying it performed better.
    My posts were made very early this morning so fully liable to errors.
    I just get the feeling that you may end up being very disappointed due to your new rigs lack of improvement when you actually put it together.

I am going to agree with that. My PC is actually fine, I do regular "spring cleans" and registry cleans etc etc and its quite stable.

I wonder can I replace my motherboard as it is as old as the hills and put in a new GPU as well. My RAM is sufficient I think.

Thanks for helping me see the proverbial light at the end of the tunnel
    :)

oh oh I forgot I am interested also try to and get windows 7 up and running on the machine

Well in reality if you improve the motherboard and the gpu then your system will prob do you for quite a long time to come.
    In fairness if you're not gonna be overclocking then improving the mobo won't give you any difference in performance at all!

The gpu http://www.ebuyer.com/product/173741

The optional mobo http://www.ebuyer.com/product/148024

Now i want someone else to help out!
    Op you have to be careful with the components you put in your hp. The reason being that the psu that's in your system may not be able to support some components!
    Does anyone know if there's a chance that the psu will not have the 4 pin connector for the motherboard/cpu?

Effluo wrote: »
    Op you have to be careful with the components you put in your hp. The reason being that the psu that's in your system may not be able to support some components!
    Does anyone know if there's a chance that the psu will not have the 4 pin connector for the motherboard/cpu?

Absolutely, I was just thinking about that earlier, is there any way to check or will I need to crack it open for a look see?

Well you'll have to open your pc at some point, so no harm in having a bit of a goo!

It might be already connected to your motherboard or not connected to anything.

Hey all I am looking at the 4670 but is says it requires 400 watt or greater.
    The one I have is max 300 I think. Can it be used safely with that or is 400watts the absolute minimum requirement?

• Advertisement

The sticky bit there is that LGA775 is now heading toward obsolecence and the main reason to upgrade the mobo would be a new CPU anyway; 945G is naff but you still won't see that much of a difference with a better mobo unless you got a CPU to go with it (as your current CPU is pretty much one of the strongest available for the old 945G) and even then you'd have just as much power if you managed to OC your current CPU, given the lack of massively multithreaded powerhouse apps you use.

Of course, if the current mobo makes it impossible to OC it may be tempting to get a cheap P35/P43 and see if you can thrash a bit more speed out of your current CPU rather than blow €100+ on a faster one; the old 65nm Core2s can usually hit 3.5GHz which is a big boost over 2.4GHz; even 3-3.2GHz will give you an edge with the apps you run ;)

Oh I may well be building a new PC.....

I have run into some problems with my own, I went out and got me a HD 4670. It wants 400watts. I put on a 300W box which im told should be fine for the short term.

I installed my new card and alas windows wont boot up fully, it gets the micro
    corp with green scrolling the small black box and loops and loops.

I took it out and put the 1650 back in and low and behold same thing, my head is melted, because in between all that I lost my Display completely and had to play with the BIOS blind to get it set to PCI.

I need a Pint of Guinness!!

Actually the HD4670 shouldn't be using much more juice than the X1650... hell, that 55nm card may well be drawing less than the old card. Can't you just use the naff onboard graphics while installing the HD4670 and its drivers? :confused:

I tried to enable on board graphics and thats what got me in trouble. I lost everything on the monitor. Eventually got it back.

But all I can do now is power on, wait for the microsoft corporation and the green line, which vanished and leaves me with a black screen.

I'm getting pi**ed off now!

The Repair thing said it could not repair automatically, I can't boot into safe mode, low res mode, nothin

I am at a loss.....

I tried to enable on board graphics and thats what got me in trouble. I lost everything on the monitor. Eventually got it back.

But all I can do now is power on, wait for the microsoft corporation and the green line, which vanished and leaves me with a black screen.

I'm getting pi**ed off now!

The Repair thing said it could not repair automatically, I can't boot into safe mode, low res mode, nothin

I am at a loss.....
    Wow, nasty. Is this with the Old GPU as well?
    If push comes to shove you can get a Ubuntu LiveCD, boot that, backup everything and start over clean I suppose. :(

Did you remember to switch the monitor cable to the mobo's VGA port before hitting the switch?

Personally I've never had a "blinding" issue with umpteen different graphics cards. They just switch to raw VGA mode until the drivers are fully installed, and with Win7 the integrated drivers mean you only need the vendor drivers installed to actually play games :)

Leman_Russ wrote: »
    Wow, nasty. Is this with the Old GPU as well?
    If push comes to shove you can get a Ubuntu LiveCD, boot that, backup everything and start over clean I suppose. :(

Yeah with the old GPU as well.

I do not know much about Ubuntu, my latest efforts were to put the new GPU in and try a system reset, but thats not managing to finish...

Well the system is officialy fooked, I have tried every troubleshooting procedure and I still cannot for love nor money get it to boot.

Looks like I will have to get a new one ( No it wasn't sabotage before anyone suggests it!)
    I will try to sell a few parts from the HP. C2D Processer, some RAM and the 1650 if anyone wants it.

Thanks everyone for your input.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

I am just curious, what did you do exactly..

Did you just open up the PC, take out the 1650 and then replace it with the 4670..

Or did you change settings in the bios of the motherboard or anything like that?

I've seen people doing it for the first time, and they don't do things like push the graphics card down into the slot firmly enough.. theres plenty of small things..
    a lot of builders here will claim that doing this or that is simple, but they forget that to someone who has never seen the inside of
    a PC before doing something for the First time is not so easy...

With hindsight of course everything is diff, but youtube is brilliant for 'how to install x', because you get a visual representation of it.

• Advertisement

Hi

I inserted it as the instructions stated.
    Remove old card and pop new one in and restate and new hardware should be identified and so on. On both cards I get the cont looping but the card is slotted in properly.

Advertisement