Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of building my own PC

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭jonny72

Yes but did you go into the bios at all? maybe this could be fixed..

I had a HP pavillion and I had an ATI 1300 graphics card which I just took out and put in the new ATI card and it just work.. since I already had the ATI drivers.. I didn't touch anything in the bios of the machine..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

Try clearing the CMOS (remove the bios battery, wait 5 mins, reinsert) and plug the monitor into the motherboard Graphics port. That SHOULD work. If it doesn't, something on the mobo has gone FUBAR coincidentally :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

If you give up so quickly on this problem, you building a new one does not bide well...

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭johnc24

Effluo wrote: »
    If you give up so quickly on this problem, you building a new one does not bide well...

I haven't given up on anything quickly. I have been troubleshooting this the last day and a half, literally a-z of troubleshooting!

I have entered the BIOS on several occasions by all I can do is choose PCI, PCIe or on board graphics. Still no response.

As I said it is still attempting to complete a system reset and I am stuck at the boot up phase.
    I will try leman Russ's post and report back in the morning.

@ leman Russ: how do I plug the monitor into the motherboard graphics, I only have two VGA slots on the old graphics card...

Rgds
    J

johnc24 wrote: »
    @ leman Russ: how do I plug the monitor into the motherboard graphics, I only have two VGA slots on the old graphics card...
    There should be a VGA port on the motherboard I/O itself at the back, one that isn't from the GPU. Plug the monitor into that rather than the GPU. That should let you get into the onboard Graphics, boot up, re-configure the bios then re-install the new GPU.

Take out any GPU you have first tho ;)

• Advertisement

[QUOTE=Leman_Russ;62699005 That should let you get into the onboard Graphics, [/QUOTE]

ok I am with you now. Do I need to tell the bios to use The on board graphics or just plug the monitor into the mobo and reboot?

Thanks

ok I am with you now. Do I need to tell the bios to use The on board graphics or just plug the monitor into the mobo and reboot?

Thanks

If you have cleared the CMOS, it should default to using the onboard, if it doesn't for some reason, tell it to :P

Boot to windows, blah blah blah, uninstall any driver software from either card, shut down, plug in the new card, boot up, still using the onboard, then install the drivers. Then you should be able to set the BIOS to use the PEG graphics. Plug the monitor into the card and it should work.

Hi again all

I have managed to install the OS again using the on board graphics, I then shut down, put in my GPU, started up again and went to BIOS and changed setting to PCI and restarted, booted up fine, have sapphire CD in at the moment so hopefully the drivers will install properly and I will be good to go,

Leman_Russ - A huge thanks for the advice regarding using the on board graphics of the motherboard... :)

Hi again all

I have managed to install the OS again using the on board graphics, I then shut down, put in my GPU, started up again and went to BIOS and changed setting to PCI and restarted, booted up fine, have sapphire CD in at the moment so hopefully the drivers will install properly and I will be good to go,

Leman_Russ - A huge thanks for the advice regarding using the on board graphics of the motherboard... :)
    Glad to be of help mate :) Let us know how things turn out.

Sweet Divine, my card is in and drivers installed...Happy out!!

I tried to install Itunes and it just hangs for ages.

I then tried to install Windows 7 upgrade advisor which I guess is only small but it wont even begin to install - window comes up but no progress.

Although I just installed firefox and that works......weird

• Advertisement

Sweet Divine, my card is in and drivers installed...Happy out!!

I tried to install Itunes and it just hangs for ages.

I then tried to install Windows 7 upgrade advisor which I guess is only small but it wont even begin to install - window comes up but no progress.

Although I just installed firefox and that works......weird

That sounds like an OS problem rather than a hardware problem. Try reformatting and starting from scratch, if it still acts up, it means your PSU is indeed too weak :(

Leman_Russ wrote: »
    That sounds like an OS problem rather than a hardware problem. Try reformatting and starting from scratch, if it still acts up, it means your PSU is indeed too weak :(

I had just completed the system reset. So its like "fresh out of the box"

Its strange cos it worked for a while, even updated the score rating thing.

Then I get loads of problems and I always have regarding shutting down and restarting, in that it always hangs, never shuts down properly. I always have to hold the power button and it can be tricky getting into again.

I got in this time by going back to the onboard graphics on the mobo.

Does that mean the PSU is not strong enough to support the new card...?

Most likely. unfortunatly :(

"At Least one disply adapter on the system has been disabled because its driver is not compatible with the driver for the VGA adapter"

Thats the message I get when I boot from the motherboard.

When I boot from the GPU I can't get it to boot fully at all...........

"At Least one disply adapter on the system has been disabled because its driver is not compatible with the driver for the VGA adapter"

Thats the message I get when I boot from the motherboard.

When I boot from the GPU I can't get it to boot fully at all...........

Ok, here is what you do:
    Uninstall the Drivers again
    Remove the Card.
    Boot to the Bios via the Mobo Graphics
    Boot To windows.
    Shut Down
    Install the Card Again
    Boot
    Go to Bios and Tell it to use the Card.
    Plug the monitor into the card
    Boot to windows.
    Install Drivers.

If that doesn't work, then a complete full OS reinstall, not a System Reset might be needed. If that doesn't work, the PSU is too weak.

If that doesn't work, then a complete full OS reinstall, not a System Reset might be needed. If that doesn't work, the PSU is too weak.

Thats what I did do, A full OS install. I mean the PC is restored to factory settings. I cant do the Full OS install if you mean I need the DVD as I do not have one.

Maybe I could try a system reset again though considering the last system reset was full of glitches and power off and power ons etc etc.

I might try that again what do you think?

Better than not working. It's worth a try I suppose.

What OS are you using? XP or Vista?

In any case you should Upgrade to Windows 7 ASAP :)

I am using vista

yes I was considering getting windows 7. Can it be purchased online and then direct download it and burn to DVD.

I just reset it again. I'll try get the drivers loaded and then shut down and put the new card in and hope that it boots.

New PC. :D

And thats exactly what I did in the end Leman_Russ
    The HP threw a wobbler and it was time for a new one.

CM Storm Scout
    MSI P55-G65
    LG Optical Drive
    Samsung HD103SJ 1TB *2
    Intel Core i5 750
    Kingston 2GB DDR3 1066MHz i5 Memory Module CL7*2
    Scythe Heatsink
    Radeon HD 4670. ( Sufficient for my needs really)

I omitted the last 2 120mm fans at the time, I will get at a later stage.

My build went fine, a few hiccups which is expected. The PC is fully up and running with Windows 7 Home Premium 32 bit.

Just a couple of small issues remain in that I can't seem to get the red LED lights on the fans working and my HDD activity light, which are prob just plugged in the wrong way around.

Nice feeling to press the power button and hear that beautiful one beep POST test... :D

Avoid these like the plague. Esp GLS. There's a thread of how bad these cowboys are.

I have read a lot of horror stories but as always bad experiences will be posted before good ones, but in my case I ordered online on Tue 27th late evening and I had my paws on the goodies on Friday Morning 1100.
    The company was parcelforce in the UK and GLS in Ireland.

I had no issues, just my experience amid all the other bad issues.

Advertisement