Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Implanon removal

• 20-10-2009 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭

Hi all.

Myself and the OH are currently discussing having another child. I had my last 5 years ago so haven't given any! thought to pregnancy or the like in a long time.

I had the implant in my arm for 2 years and 9 months...my periods came back with their regular 28 day cycle in January and it was really a spontaneous decision to have the implant removed from my arm on the 1st of this month (October) as it was irritating me. Shock of my life when himself found out and immediatly said "good, it's about time, lets try for another!":)

Well, I read some literature and my GP told me to wait and let my body regulate itself so I just wanted to find out from other women who have had the implant how long it took for them to get pregnant? I only know one other person with it and she's in no hurry to be rid.

Assuming removal of the implant hasn't affected my cycle I should be on day 23 but I had one day of mid-cycle bleeding after removal ( first for me although a sister of mine has always had something similar and has no fertility problems). Is this normal?

have you ladies (or gentlemen) any experiences to share? Now that the idea is in my head and the OH is so eager...well, I've gotten so broody it's unbelievable (thought this was over 5 years ago, but I'm actually looking forwards to another baby):p

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I don't know too much about the implant but I imagine having it removed would be like coming off the pill, in which case it can take you body 6 months or more to get back to normal.

Saying that, many women become pregnant the month they stop taking the pill. For others it takes longer.

Of course, women who haven't been using any kind of hormonal contraceptive can take 6 months to a year to conceive too!

How long did it take to conceive with your first child? Were you using any hormonal contraceptive prior to conception. That would generally be a good indicator of how long it might take for you.

Instead of worrying about how long it might take to conceive, I would start thinking about the things you can be doing to increase the chances of conceiveing. Start taking folic acid, give up smoking and drinking, improve your diet, take up some exercise. Also if you haven't already, go for a check up and get a smear test done. Other than that, just have fun trying!

Good luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭apsalar

I got pregnant right away with my first child... stopped taking the pill and I was pregnant with no bother.

Had a smear test 2 months ago that was clear, so no worries there...anyway, I'm just feeling so much like a baby right now, but I know I'll just have to wait....but yes, I'll have as much fun trying!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

we started tryin immediately after removal and i made sure to do the deed when i persumed id be ovulating ~(day 13) and got pregnant on second month. if you'r sure id just do somethin similar and see what happens :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭loismustdie

was ust thinkin though, maybe if you put this in pregnant or parenting you'd get more people respond since people who are or were pregnant may not read ttc, just a thought

• Registered Users Posts: 11 katieboo84

i had the bar in my arm for nearly 2 years after having my first child and had to get it removed, totaly didnt agree with me, me and my OH wanted to have another child but took us 8 months to concieve, i think ur body takes time to regulate its self again and with every month with a neg Pg test it was so dishearting and i was on the verg of just giving up but then it just happened. im nearly 10 weeks pg now so fingures crossed.
    for some reason i thought of my sis who is married and TTC for the last 4 years and no joy yet, both have had the all clear from more than one doc to say nothing wrong but just hasnt happened. sometimes theres just no fairness in the world i think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭..Summergirl..

After implant removal I got pregnant after 1 year and 3 month. My husband is consultant and he advised me to wait for a while, so we had to wait for one year before i got pregnant:)

Advertisement