Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modem/Router with built in antivirus

Options
  • 20-10-2009 11:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭

Hi

I know that most modem/routers have a built in stateful packet inspection firewall but can you buy one with a antivirus to protect access to the network from viruses?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

hello932 wrote: »
    Hi

I know that most modem/routers have a built in stateful packet inspection firewall but can you buy one with a antivirus to protect access to the network from viruses?

I think Netgear tried this at one stage but it does not seem to have caught on.

It would require constant updating of the router and in any event you would still need an anti virus prog on the computer to deal with stuff imported from usb cds and so on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭hello932

At the moment im using a zyxel modem i got from vodafone ...it has a firewall but no antivirus...but my pc does have avast on it..though it wiould be nice to be able to buy a modem with antivirus at the 'gateway' so to speak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

hello932 wrote: »
    At the moment im using a zyxel modem i got from vodafone ...it has a firewall but no antivirus...but my pc does have avast on it..though it wiould be nice to be able to buy a modem with antivirus at the 'gateway' so to speak
    Would be very messy, no doubt the router would have to be updated very regurarly and since this is the source of your Internet, it would most likely require reboots daily / weekly. etc. Also, routers have limited amount of space, most never exceed 16MB of ROM (just for firmware updates).

The idea is practical for a firewall (because it's either on or off) and a NAT (same thing, ports are either open or closed) but antivirus belong on the computer - that's where the virus, spyware, malware and adaware reside and same for all other software.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

We use Endian firewall in office and home. It's the dogs. Does general firewall, dns, dhcp, ids, proxies everything [email, surfing, ftp etc], anti viruses everything, spam filter, VPN client/server, QOS traffic shaping, traffic monitoring [per zone].

Only downside is that you do need another dedicated pc running to install it on [based on Linux] but don't need a powerful machine. P2 or P3 with 128MB or 256MB Ram and 5GB HDD will do nicely.

Anti virus, SPAM and IDS update regularly automatically. Again, it's the dogs... for nothing except the price of a cheap PC that you may already have.

It's not for the non technical, though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,197 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

antivirus on the router will NOT protect you from stuff that comes in via an encrypted link

if you go to a secure page with HTTPS:// the router will not be able to see what is inthere

or if you get an email with an encrypted / compressed package , like was common a few years ago , again gotcha - and Don't forget if one of your friends gets an email virus you may still open it trusting them :(

Sign up to use www.OpenDNS.org to pro activelly block many nasty sites, you install a windows app and tick the boxes on what you want / don't want.

Switch to opera / firefox with NoScript instead of IE

Having a router with AV filtering is a layer , it will stop some stuff, but there are so many ways around it that it won't reduce the need to have Anti malware working locally on each PC

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭hello932

antivirus on the router will NOT protect you from stuff that comes in via an encrypted link

if you go to a secure page with HTTPS:// the router will not be able to see what is inthere

or if you get an email with an encrypted / compressed package , like was common a few years ago , again gotcha - and Don't forget if one of your friends gets an email virus you may still open it trusting them :(

Sign up to use www.OpenDNS.org to pro activelly block many nasty sites, you install a windows app and tick the boxes on what you want / don't want.

Switch to opera / firefox with NoScript instead of IE

Having a router with AV filtering is a layer , it will stop some stuff, but there are so many ways around it that it won't reduce the need to have Anti malware working locally on each PC

Ok so for the time being i have a firewall on the router but no av

I have avast free and comodo firewall on pc.

I have signed up to open dns and have the filtering level set to minimal (antiphishing only).

I have firefox set as my default browser instead of IE but i found the no script add on annoying so uninstalled it-how dangerous is scripting?

Advertisement