Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

JSP?

Options
  • 21-10-2009 12:05am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭

Hello

Apologies if this is a silly question.

Last year in college I did a module on Java (concurrent programming using Java). I enjoyed the class and would now like to write a web application using Java.

Am I right in thinking JSP is the way to do this, or is there another standard way of writing web applications using Java?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

To learn the basics of how Web applications work and interact with the web container it is better to start with a mixture of servlets and JSP.

After that there is a mind boggling array of Web UI frameworks to choose from like Structs, Tapestry, Spring MVC, Java Server Faces and so one. Which all do pretty much the same thing in ways sufficently different to confuse anyone. (Which is why I try to avoid frontend development like the plague :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

http://www.coreservlets.com/ will give you a better idea of things

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Keep a close eye on memory usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

I don't particular like JSP, neither do I think they're essential for Java Web development but they can be a good starting point if you know HTML. If you know XML, it's even better as you can seamlessly transition to Tag Libraries. But if you're OK with programming rather than markup, I'd recommend familiarizing with Servlets first as this is the engine of most Web apps built in Java. And to that matter, JSP is just a Servlet inside out.

Advertisement