Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Door lock placement

Options
  • 21-10-2009 12:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭

There's been a few attempted breakins in my apartment complex recently. As a result I'm thinking of adding a second mortice lock. The door has a union nightlatch with a deadbolt about quarter distance from the top and a mortice lock about half way. If I add the second mortice lock should I place it above the nightlatch or below the mortice lock? I figure it's the bottom part of the door that will take the force if someone tries to kick it in. Any help much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

First thing to do if you can is to go and take a look at a similar door in your appartment that has been busted open, just check and see it was the door that was smashed and not the frame + eenn with decent locks is the door strong enought to start with. I've seen some great locks defeated because of a couple of small nails were all that was holding the frame in place. Hinges another weak point on some doors (replace with good ones or add hinge bolts). You even want to make sure your door is a tight fit in the frame when locked with no easy gaps get a jemmy in.

Given you current lock locations I'd put the 3rd lock about a 1/4 up from the bottom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

I'll check the hinges this eve. The door that they tried to kick in split up and down about 8 inches from where the lock was placed but it didn't give. I assume the same happened to the other door in the neighbouring block. Thanks for the reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Just be careful you dont fit a lock that is too big for the door, by that I mean one that makes you cut away too much of the door making it weak.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

ttm wrote: »
    Just be careful you dont fit a lock that is too big for the door, by that I mean one that makes you cut away too much of the door making it weak.

Cool. I got a small enough one. I figured I didn't need too much as a backup

Advertisement