Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Southgate sacked

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Harsh! There goes my 20 bucks on Rafa to get the bullit first :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

That bet not Premiership manager?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

FearDark wrote: »
    Harsh! There goes my 20 bucks on Rafa to get the bullit first :rolleyes:

Are those markets not particular to the league? I pretty sure you're bet still stands.

I personally think he would have gotten them up this season making that decision harsh and seem short sighted but had Southgate brought them up I'm of the opinion they would have been in the relegation mire once again next season. Effectively I think he's not a manager that can take them forward in the long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Ridiculous decision imo. He's a good young manager still learning his trade having re-built a squad following relegation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

What makes it more bizarre is that Gibson was extremely patient with him last year, most chairmen would've had him out the door by Christmas given some of their performances. So to get rid of him so ruthlessly after performing fairly impressively in the C'ship is very strange.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I vonder who vill be taking the, em, vacant position?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Must have someone else lined up, otherwise it's quite bizarre...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

They must have somebody lined up.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Seems really strange to me.
    In house bickering or somesuch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Dub13 wrote: »
    They must have somebody lined up.

Stan will be kicking himself for taking the darlington role....:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Very odd time for this...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Yes they had played reasonable stuff this season and had some good results like tonight's. But some of the Boro performances more recently have been awful. Like losing 1-0 at home to Watford and 5-0 at home to West Brom. Far too inconsistent and had he remained in the hotseat Boro would not have been promoted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,480 ✭✭✭✭cson

Actually compared to those who haven't gotten the boot yet it's crazy.

*Looks over at Portman Road*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Seaneh wrote: »

Klinsmann ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Doesn't seem fair, but sport isn't about fairness all too often. I'd expect a high caliber appointee.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Strange decision considering Gibson let him stay in charge after relegation.

Must be something else that we havent heard yet or maybe Gibson sick of the low numbers turning up at Riverside and wants a big name in to up the numbers.

Who knows really !!!:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Very Odd, nothing to do with football IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

should have been sacked a long time ago imo when they were in the top flight , horrible manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Que Gordon Strachan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Seaneh wrote: »

John Barnes, a patient chairman of the Gibson variety is surely what he needs to give him a genuine chance in management :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Delighted, never rated him..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Mancini.

Return of the white feather?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Gibson has built a reputation for being an unbelievably patient chairman, so I can't fathom why he would sack Southgate when they are only a point off the top of the table. If he was in Roy Keane's situation I could understand but this is just bewildering on so many levels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭mickos

I'm probably the only Boro fan here. I was surprised when I heard this morning. I liked southgate for some strange reason, even though he got us relegated and all that. We have a decent championship squad at the boro and should be more than capable of a top 2 finish.
    I'm glad Gibson made this decision, Championship is a long hard season and you can't be dropping silly points at home. I presume he has a manager lined up and look forward to seeing who it is. The Boro is a good club and with the right manager can go far(not that far mind prem. top 10 and I'd be happy, with a few good cup runs thrown in).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 298 ✭✭mickos

gucci wrote: »
    Return of the white feather?

That thought came to mind:D Ha! never.

Actually Barnes might not be the best choice at the minute, he just filed for bankrupcy.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/article6883085.ece

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Ridiculous decision imo. He's a good young manager still learning his trade having re-built a squad following relegation.

Couldnt agree more, they were relegated last year and the board took a decision to keep him on, which I though was correct. Maybe they were just waiting untill they had found a suitable manager... although they havent yet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Don't rate him, Curbishley FTW.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭blindpilot

UEFA cup final to Championship in 3 years. Its been nothing but decline for us since he took over. Delighted he's gone but I do question the timing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Well Gareth you joined Boro as a player citing ambition and you got them relegated, thats the way the cookie crumbles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

Strachan is meant to be on the RTE panel tonight, I wonder will he show up now he's favourite

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I'm waiting to hear from my friend the boro fan as to why this has happened. I thought after the relegation he was sure to go, but then Gibson stands by his man and after a few dodgy results they are sitting nicely at 4th in the championship. He hasn't had the resources of Newcastle, has had to part with Huth and Tuncay. I honestly thought, from the outside, he was doing well.

Why to chairmen introduce uncertainty into clubs leading up to the busy christmas period?

Rafa next probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭glenjamin

He's an absolute plonker who took us from UEFA Cup finalists and with players like Yakubu, Schwarzer and Viduka in the team to losing at home to Leicester with muppets like Emnes, Jones and Aliadiere in the team. If he was the manager of your team or anyone elses he would have been sacked 24 months ago. He had money, the players, the facilties and the fans behind him and he blew it. Good ridance!
    Boggles wrote: »
    Very Odd, nothing to do with football IMO.

We may be 4th in the Championship but we haven't beaten anyone in the top half of the league and home defeats by Leicester, Watford and a thumping by West Brom suggest that you may be wrong.
    nuxxx wrote: »
    should have been sacked a long time ago imo when they were in the top flight , horrible manager

Shouldn't have been given the job in the first place. Still had a year left as a player and didn't even have any qualifications.
    gucci wrote: »
    John Barnes, a patient chairman of the Gibson variety is surely what he needs to give him a genuine chance in management :)

Hand me my gun if that happens.
    mickos wrote: »
    I'm probably the only Boro fan here. I was surprised when I heard this morning. I liked southgate for some strange reason, even though he got us relegated and all that. We have a decent championship squad at the boro and should be more than capable of a top 2 finish.
    I'm glad Gibson made this decision, Championship is a long hard season and you can't be dropping silly points at home. I presume he has a manager lined up and look forward to seeing who it is. The Boro is a good club and with the right manager can go far(not that far mind prem. top 10 and I'd be happy, with a few good cup runs thrown in).

I count 3. From what I've read he already had someone lined up before the sacking. As long as he doesn't appoint some one with no former experience or one of the backroom staff I'll be happy. Bring back the wally with the brolly.
    newblue08 wrote: »
    UEFA cup final to Championship in 3 years. Its been nothing but decline for us since he took over. Delighted he's gone but I do question the timing.

Me too. Should have been made ages ago or at least after the final game of last season. That's Steve Gibson for you. 'Everyone deserves a second, or in his case a 10th chance'. Better late than never all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,219 ✭✭✭✭Pro. F

Never rated him. Anytime I've seen Boro under Southgate they've been playing absolutely woeful. Usually trying to play football at a pace way beyond their ability. Should have gone ages ago imo.

Just read an article on the Guardian site which said the falling attendances probably made the decision for Gibson in the end.

Strachen seems to be the front runner for the job now. Don't rate him either tbh. But he's probably good enough to get the club to a steady position in the Prem.
    glenjamin wrote: »
    He had money, the players, the facilties and the fans behind him and he blew it. Good ridance!
    This confuses me. I'm not disagreeing with you, i just don't understand - if he had financial backing why did he sell so many good players?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,909 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Whether he deserved to go or not, I think the Boro website had some cheek running an article like this straight away -

http://www.mfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/NewsDetail/0,,1~1832744,00.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Gordon "Velocity" Strachen is the man according to my sause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,515 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

Falling attendances?
    That's one of the funniest things I've heard in ages.
    I heard it on the radio earlier and nearly crashed the car I laughed so much.
    Boro have never had a good weekly attendance, Gibson must have only suddenly looked at the stands last week to notice the lack of support.

Glazers Out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭invincibleirish

Whether he deserved to go or not, I think the Boro website had some cheek running an article like this straight away -

http://www.mfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/NewsDetail/0,,1~1832744,00.html

Perhaps a refresher for the more vitriolic Boro fans on his case that he was still a legend for Boro.

Advertisement