Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Northern Ireland State or Country

Options
  • 21-10-2009 1:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Can anyone tell me for 100% sure if Northern Ireland is a State or Country?

Im positive that it is a State but would like confirmation by someone who could explain how.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

I read an article in Hot Press years ago where Declan Lynch (I think) argued that NI would be most accurately described as a Broadcasting Region :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Statelet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Or would it be a 'failed political entity' like the Republic? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

State. its a political entity, not a country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭baalthor

Well, if you interpret country as "recognised as a sovereign country" then NI is not a country. Instead it's recognised by other countries as part of the UK (except for international soccer where FIFA recognises it as a country).

However, the UK defines NI as a constituent country of the UK (see here and here). That said, when people from NI say "this country" they might mean either NI, UK or Ireland depending on their background.

As mentioned above NI can be referred to as a state since this is a fairly neutral term. But while people from the ROI might say "Donegal has a very short border with the rest of the State", I don't think anyone from NI would say "Strabane is in the west of the State"

Generally people from a Unionist background would be more likely to refer to NI as a province or country while people from a Nationalist background might use the term state when talking about the history or government of the place, but in everyday conversation would be more likely to say "the North" or "Northern Ireland" or "the Six Counties"

Those from a more Republican background might use terms like "statelet" or "Six Counties" or "illegally occupied North-East Ireland"

So I don't think there is a single "correct" answer to your question since different people will use different terms depending on their background and words like "state" and "country" are open to interpretation anyway.

But it definitely is a Broadcasting Region :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

In law it's a constituent part of the UK. Some politicians in NI refer to it as 'the province', surely this is wrong, as Ulster is composed of 9 counties, not 6.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 wee_corker

Cheers for the answers :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭IIMII

baalthor wrote: »
    "statelet" or "Six Counties" or "illegally occupied North-East Ireland"
    Occupied territories. It is a statelet though

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

However, the UK defines NI as a constituent country of the UK (see here and here).

The UK sometimes describes NI as a constituent country, these websites are not legislation or formal statements of any sort and there is no consistency. NI government sources are careful not to describe NI as anything much as there is no agreement.

Advertisement