Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

License Problem?

• 21-10-2009 2:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hi

I had a provisional M/B license 6 years ago. I have since passed my B test and have a full B license.

I had to hand in my provisional M/B license to receive my full B license, which has the issue/expiry printed next to the B category.

However there is obviously no mention of my provisional M license on my full license. How do i go about getting a provisional A license? The theory test website states:

"You are required to pass a driver theory test if it is your first provisional licence/learner permit in a specific category. You must apply to your local licencing authority and submit your driver theory test certificate in respect of that category. (Postal applications for a learner permit should be sent to the Motor Taxation Office in your city/county of residence)."

This suggests that in order to get a provisional A license, i need the original theory test cert. I assume this is just a case of getting a copy from the theory test authorities and applying for a provisional as normal without the need to re-do an eye test etc?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

There's a limit of 5 years on the theory test, so yes you will have to re-sit it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

You probably did the old theory test that covered cars and bikes. They are now split into separate categories AM for motorcycle/mopeds and BW for cars/tractors so you will probably have to do the AM one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

What you should have done all those years ago was fill out two forms. One for renewal of permit and the other for application for new full license. Then you get sent back your permit with the bike and new full license with the car. Good luck to the people at the motor tax office actually bothering to point that out though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 ! Hitman

KamiKazi wrote: »
    There's a limit of 5 years on the theory test, so yes you will have to re-sit it.

i've passed my A/M theory test a week ago, and there is a note on the cert : Valid for 2 years ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭no scope

i have a provisional A1 license

to get a provisional A license do i hav to do another theory test?? i was 17 going 18 when i got my provisional and i am 19 now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

yes you do have to do it again no scope.

no scope wrote: »

to get a provisional A license do i hav to do another theory test?? i was 17 going 18 when i got my provisional and i am 19 now

If you already did the bike one , then i don't think so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

oh yeah oops. I didnt have to do it for my provisional 125 license , then it came in by the time i was going for provisional 2fiddy license. Maybe thats why i had to do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

No you dont have to do it again. Only if you never sat one would you have to but you are to young for that to apply. ;)

Roadskill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 207 ✭✭no scope

Roadskill wrote: »
    No you dont have to do it again. Only if you never sat one would you have to but you are to young for that to apply. ;)

Roadskill

??????

so what do i have to do to get my provisional A license

• Advertisement

??????

so what do i have to do to get my provisional A license

Fill in the learner permit form,
    get 2 photos,
    your current licence(s),
    the fee,
    Go to your local tax office and hand it all in.

Don't think I missed anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,485 ✭✭✭✭Esel

! Hitman wrote: »
    i've passed my A/M theory test a week ago, and there is a note on the cert : Valid for 2 years ..
    What KK meant was that you can apply for a replacement provisional licence if the old one is not more than five years out of date.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement