Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Acne prone skin

• 21-10-2009 2:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

My skin has a tendancy to break out in spots around my chin and forehead area ! it is so embarresing and i absaloutly hate it!!!!!!
    it was bad wen i was a young teenager but as i am verging on 20 now i expected to be out of this phase by now!!

iv tried loads of stuff lik toothpaste, vichy face was, TCP, aloe vera, the dianette pill, drinkin loads of water (which helped a little) and i find that being in the sun helps as well.. but can expect to see zero sun until middle of nxt year i reckon!
    maybe sun beds would work?? but they can be dangerous i also heard.

does anyone else have this problem? has anyone found anything that has actually worked? what would you use to cover up spots ?

please help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

You cant be seriously thinking of using a sunbed to try and get rid of acne? sunbeds cause skin cancer, premature aging of the skin and wrinkles. personally I would prefer to have acne than cancer.

my skin is still crap and I am 25. the best I have found in the way of cleaning it is by using Dermalogica. its fab have been using it for 8 months now and have found a big improvement. its not perfect but is far better. I use special cleansing gel, toner, skin smooting cream and daily microfoliant. these were recommended to me when I got a Dermalogica facial so you may need to get that done to see what suits your skin. I got the facemapping done at a different salon first and was advised to use different products so I think by getting a facial it gives the beautician a better understanding of what products you need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Sarah.Roo

yeah i know i have never agreed with sun beds.. i was getting a bit dersperate haha.. but your right they're a bad idea!

yeah i would love to get a facial.. il look into that thanks!
    sounds like you take really good care of your skin! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭Back Prince

im in the same boat as you last month came across the acne.org site read up about him and the products and decided what the hell and got the starter kit being using it a month and it has work wonders for me. Most of my acne is gone and i had some dirty cysts as well just dealing with the scars no hopefully theyll heal up in time but for me it was well worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Have you tried Panoxyl5 or panoxyl10? Someone on here recommended it to me a while back and it's made a big difference to my skin. Dunno how I went so long without it. You can get it over the counter in Boots. It's about €6 a tube. Tube is big enough, I'd say you'd get a few months out of a tube. Only downfall is it can dry out your skin so I cut down to using it every second night.

I also found changeing my pillow cases nightly (or at least flipping the pillow and changeing the case every second night) to be a big help.

Hope that helps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Cookie Jar

Go to see your gp. I had really bad acne when I was younger and I got tablets for it. It worked great.
    Only recently it has come back, popped up to gp and got another course of tablets.. hopefully it will clear up:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 612 ✭✭✭JoseJones

Quinoderm facewash and creme worked for me, you can get it in most pharmacies, and also just making a conscious effort not to touch your face, you'd be amazed at how often you'll rub your chin or your forehead (well, I do anyway).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

Also - this is kind of random - if you're prone to breakouts on your chin it could because you rest your chin on your hand... Read that somewhere once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Also, scarves (if you're wearing them up around your face) are a major culprit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

A lot of oral contraceptives double up as acne medication. A lot of girls take them to get good skin, even in their twenties, so you're not the only one. I am on a strong pill and it doesn't even get rid of all my acne at age 24! I fear life without it. Go to your doctor who can advise.

That thing about touching your face is very true also, I am a big offender!

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Wilde86

I too have suffered with bad skin since I was a teenager. I have been on the pill yasminelle for over a year and it has worked wonders. I haven't had any bad side effects like I had on dianette. I also have microdermabrasion every few months. This helped so much. It evens out skin tone, scarring and reduces pores. Because my skin has improved so much I haven't had it done in a while. I bought an origins home microdermabarsion scrub and it's great.

Do try not to touch your face too much. Use mineral make up and always take your make up off after a night out. Alcohol sucks moisture out of your skin which means your make up sinks in and causes spots. Use moisturiser before applying make up.

I hope this helps. These are all the things that I had to do. I know how upsetting bad skin can be. Good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Have you tried Panoxyl5 or panoxyl10? Someone on here recommended it to me a while back and it's made a big difference to my skin. Dunno how I went so long without it. You can get it over the counter in Boots. It's about €6 a tube. Tube is big enough, I'd say you'd get a few months out of a tube. Only downfall is it can dry out your skin so I cut down to using it every second night.

I also found changeing my pillow cases nightly (or at least flipping the pillow and changeing the case every second night) to be a big help.

Hope that helps!

Completely agree with the pillow case thing especially if you drool in your sleep (dreaming about shoes or something were we Michellenman?! :p)

• Registered Users Posts: 41 akila

I suffer with bad skin too - have tried various pills, Minocin, Dalacin and pretty much anything else the Doc would give me (bar Roaccutane, I'm a little apprehensive about trying this!)

I used to swear by Clinique Anti Blemish solutions skincare, cos it really helped clear my skin up. Now I'm using Roc Purif-Ac and have to say, it has really, really helped. Using the cleansing gel, toner and moisturiser at the moment and my skin is in better condition than it has been in ages.

I definitely agree with the pillow case thing and touching your face. I tend to rest my chin on my hand a lot and always suffer with spots around that area. And drinking more water always helps :)
    Also, spots from mid face and down are usually hormone related for us girls - so we'll probably have to suffer with those on a monthly basis anyway! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭Pythia

Wilde86 wrote: »
    . I also have microdermabrasion every few months.

Where do you get this done?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Dianette (went off it this year after 4 years though because it's bad for you to be on it long term), Quinoderm cream, change your pillow case, don't touch your face. That's what I have to thank for mine clearing up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 lil_fire

Hi,

I just want to add my experience. I used to suffer with acne and it was really bad and just like ye guys I hated my face no matter what product I bought in the chemist I never got the result I wanted. My sister's friend works in Dundrum Clinic and she told me to come for assessment. She looked at my skin and gave me a dermaquest cream. I used it for a while and I actually could see the results I was happy but not delighted so she decided to give me a chemical peel and after the peel, i'm acne free. I'm still using a dermaquest cream coz i'm afraid the spots will come back and I'll do anything to stop them horrible spots to come back!
    Maybe ye should give the cream a go and I hope it'll workout for ye guys.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Sarah.Roo

Hope that helps!

the pillow case thing is a really good tip!! thanks!
    yeah i tried panoxyl a few years ago!! it did dry out my skin..! but i shud get it again nd use it sparringly !

thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

Go see you GP. Get him/her to prescibe Oxytetracycline. That will sort it out. Roaccuntane is miracle stuff too, but explore other options first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Sarah.Roo wrote: »
    the pillow case thing is a really good tip!! thanks!
    yeah i tried panoxyl a few years ago!! it did dry out my skin..! but i shud get it again nd use it sparringly !

thanks!

Panoxyl dried my skin out so badly it was sore and red for days after using it. I would recommend Quinoderm cream, it does the same thing but doesn't dry out your skin as much. My doctor recommended it to me, I still use it for the odd spot now and it's brilliant, they're gone the next day. You'll see it in pharmacies next to Panoxyl, it's a purple box. A few more people here recommended it too, might be worth a try if Panoxyl dried out your skin too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

I've struggled with acne since i was about 13, same as you the sunshine takes it away for some reason!
    I always meant to find out what vitamin the sun gives your skin, i fink it's vitamin E? Maybe you could look into that.

I've used pretty much every drug and facial thingy under the sun^^

I went to the Doc about it and he gave me some stuff, it worked, but it unfortunately made me feel sick too.

Through everything else i found Panoxyl to be the best, it comes in two strengths 5% and 10%. For a beginner i'd recommend 5, as this stuff will dry out your skin really badly if you're not careful(it works by drying the oils from your face).
    I used a facial wash before bed each night, then only use a small amount of panoxyl, but rub it in well only to the infected areas.
    I never used it in the morning as it leaves a white mark on your face.(yes it is noticeable)

I am now free from acne, but it wasn't panoxyl that did it for me...
    I found that i had a bit of a reaction to certain types of food! Lo' and behold it was meat(yes, cow, pig + chicken, but not fish). My sis and brother in Law are veggies and i spent a couple of weeks with them last year, all my spots went(i supposed it was the sunshine, Nice, France). When i went home i started making the food that they had made over there and my spots didn't come back. Had a Mcdonalds a week after and believe it or not within 24 hours i brokeout, for the next few days i had loads of spots!

Now i literally never get spots anymore, only after drunken nights out and a stop off at Supermacs or the like :(

That's prob just me though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭git_ireland

Roacutane is the business.
    I had severe acne through most of my teens till i was 20.
    My local GP gave me a referral for a Dermatologist in Blackrock Clinic.
    The appointment with the Dermatologist wasnt cheap nor was the roaccutane itself but it was well worth it.

I heard horror stories about sore eyes, cracking skin and cracked or chapping lips.
    The only problem i had was with my lips, they got a bit dry so I carried a small pocket size tub of Vasaline around everywhere I went.
    Cant recommend it highly enough.
    Btw the Dermatologist I got referred to was Dr. Walls if its of any help to you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 haydo333

Laser treatment or micro-dermabrasion can work wonders on acne prone skin and make your skin feel silky smooth! If you're in the Waterford area i noticed in the paper that Rejuvenate are doing 70% off the treatment at the moment and they do a free test on the skin.

If that doesn't work for you try exfoliating every second day with a product that's good for oily skin that should reduce the acne. Also if it appears at a certain time of the month try to exfoliate in the days leading up to it.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

Roacutane is the business.
    I had severe acne through most of my teens till i was 20.
    My local GP gave me a referral for a Dermatologist in Blackrock Clinic.
    The appointment with the Dermatologist wasnt cheap nor was the roaccutane itself but it was well worth it.

I heard horror stories about sore eyes, cracking skin and cracked or chapping lips.
    The only problem i had was with my lips, they got a bit dry so I carried a small pocket size tub of Vasaline around everywhere I went.
    Cant recommend it highly enough.
    Btw the Dermatologist I got referred to was Dr. Walls if its of any help to you.

Careful of the roaccutane- it can cause hair loss! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Careful of the roaccutane- it can cause hair loss! :eek:
    My dermatologist told me this was due to the fact a lot of women with severe acne had hormonal problems also that caused hair loss. I know my hair looked about 10 times better not being so oily, people used to ask me what new shampoo I was using, or if I had gotten it done only about 3-4 weeks after starting roaccutane :)

At the moment I'm use a face scrub twice a week, a oil-reducing wash three times a week and I use a spritzer with filtered boiled water in it to rinse my face after I have a shower because the hard water was giving me horrible cystic spots. I always wear an oil-free moisturising fluid with SPF in it during the day, and at night put a small dab of Clinque dramatically different moisturizing lotion for dry skin.

Oh and I use a lot of alcohol based spray to clean things like my phone, my keyboard and my hands, since starting that (due to swine flu worries) my chin spots have pretty much vanished.

And when I stopped having dairy due to it affecting my IBS, most of my disgusting deep spots spots went away. Buuttt... it's all trial and error :) what might work for one person won't work for another. Just write down what works and what doesn't. :)

Advertisement