Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sun Beds

• 21-10-2009 2:54am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭

Thinking of doing a few sunbeds to keep a tan during the winter.. but have heard numerous horror stories about them!!
    does anyone do them regularly? are they really that bad for you?
    anyone have a bad experience with them?

xxx

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Redpunto

i wouldnt normally use them but getting married so thought id give it a go- they say no more than 10 seesions a year, i have fair skin and made sure to start off at only 5 mins then really slowly build it up. it does give you a nice glow but i definately wont be using them regularly after the wedding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,410 ✭✭✭kizzyr

Sarah.Roo wrote: »
    Thinking of doing a few sunbeds to keep a tan during the winter.. but have heard numerous horror stories about them!!
    does anyone do them regularly? are they really that bad for you?
    anyone have a bad experience with them?

xxx

Well given that they are now considered to be as likely to give you cancer as smoking is then I'd say yes they are that bad.
    No tan is worth risking skin cancer for. If you want to be tanned that badly then fake it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Redpunto wrote: »
    i have fair skin and made sure to start off at only 5 mins then really slowly build it up. it does give you a nice glow but i definately wont be using them regularly after the wedding.

If you've got fair, Irish skin then surely you'll never tan?

As for the OP - wow, I cannot believe people can be so ignorant in the face of all the health warnings from the government and doctors about sunbeds :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Have a read of this: http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22410791-2,00.html

I was in Melbourne when this story hit. Very sad. So be careful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭St James

have a look at www.iamtan.com

it gives an alternate view to those who say sunbeds are killers.

like everything in life, moderation is probably the key.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

While I agree that sunbed tanning in moderation *probably* won't give you cancer, it still speeds up the aging process. Wrinkles and overall deterioration of skin quality begins to set in. I personally don't find that the short term effects are worth the long term consequences. A well applied fake tan can look natural without causing unnecessary skin damage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

What is 'moderation' though? A bride-to-be going on the sunbed 10-20 mins every day for a week before her wedding is surely as bad if not worse than going on one for 5 minutes a week ?

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Pixie001

A friend of mine used sun beds a few years ago, and used to apply an oil prior to using the sun bed (apparently this oil intensified the tan). I could actually get a smell of burning skin from them when they came out of the sun bed. I think that skin gets enough exposure to dangerous UV rays as it is, I certainly wouldn't use sun beds, I haven't heard too many experts claim that they are safe and wont cause harm to skin.

Advertisement