Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bikes [many] months on.

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

good to see, proposed new locations of charlemont mall and harcourt terrace seem a bit weird though, they are pretty close together..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

Are there not already bikes at the Charlemont Luas station?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,586 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

-Chris- wrote: »
    Are there not already bikes at the Charlemont Luas station?

yep, there will be 3 around the same small area now. Unless they are putting the mall one at the very far end nearer rathmines bridge and harcourt terrace at the far end near adelaide road, which I presume they are..

That seems to be getting fairly dense.

I'd rather see new kiosks at some of these locations:
    Grand Canal DART station
    North Circular Road/Seville Place
    Arbour Hill/Stoneybatter
    Parkgate Street near Phoenix park or one of the Luas stops (Museum/Heuston)
    Cork Street/Patrick Street
    Thomas Street (maybe)

I think there should also be some stops outside of the canals:
    Ranelagh
    Rathmines
    Ballsbridge
    Donnybrook
    And the equivalents on the northside (apologies, I'm not as familiar with the northside as much as the southside)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

-Chris- wrote: »
    That seems to be getting fairly dense.

I'd rather see new kiosks at some of these locations:
    Grand Canal DART station
    North Circular Road/Seville Place
    Arbour Hill/Stoneybatter
    Parkgate Street near Phoenix park or one of the Luas stops (Museum/Heuston)
    Cork Street/Patrick Street
    Thomas Street (maybe)

I think there should also be some stops outside of the canals:
    Ranelagh
    Rathmines
    Ballsbridge
    Donnybrook
    And the equivalents on the northside (apologies, I'm not as familiar with the northside as much as the southside)

Inside the canals, there's a big omission (IMHO) in that there's no station at Grand Canal Dock (near the new theatre, rather than at the DART station)

Moving further afield, Northside equivilents of what you suggested would be:
    Phoenix Park (near zoo, near Parkgate st entrance)
    Phibsborough (there's already one at the Mater, but one in the village itself)
    Glasnevin (Botanic Gardens, Cemetery could both use a station)
    Drumcondra

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

Why still none around the Docklands/Pearse St/Grand Canal St area? Strange they are putting more stations in well served areas while there's still areas within the canals that have gaping holes.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭smackyB

I think the bikes would get a lot of use from people cycling along the canal if there was a bike stand at Grand Canal Dock station. Would certainly be very handy for me!!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

http://www.dublincity.ie/Press/PressReleases/pressreleasesapril2010/Pages/dublinbikesgearinguptoexpandcapacity.aspx
    The proposed locations for the four new stations are:

* Smithfield
    * Eccles Street
    * Harcourt Terrace
    * Charlemont Mall

* Smithfield
    the other end of it to the existing one ?
    * Eccles Street
    the other end of it to the existing one ?

To cross the canal after dropping a bike at the next two you would have to pass another bike station at the nearest canal bridge.

* Harcourt Terrace is near enough to Charelmont Street / Wilton Terrace ( and Earlsfort Terrace too )
    * Charlemont Mall
    Portobello Harbour at one end , Charlemont Street at the other end

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

oceanclub wrote: »
    Why still none around the Docklands/Pearse St/Grand Canal St area? Strange they are putting more stations in well served areas while there's still areas within the canals that have gaping holes.

P.

I think they are trying to avoid commuters just emptying the racks in one direction only. Theres none near any train station. Well closest is 5 mins walk. But I think thats the idea. Maybe I'm wrong.

They're near the Luas stations though...

Personally, I'd use public transport more if they were near each city Dart or Luas stop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭Limerick Dude

They should put them at third level institutions like DCU or UCD, might cut down on traffic considering how so many students drive to college these days, myself included.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,499 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

They should put them at third level institutions like DCU or UCD, might cut down on traffic considering how so many students drive to college these days, myself included.

too big so too many bikes would end up there all the time, same reason they won't put any at Heuston.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

BostonB wrote: »
    I think they are trying to avoid commuters just emptying the racks in one direction only.

Well, then they really need to do something to supplment the south of Merrion Square one, as at the weekend, it's now always empty, because the catchment area for it is basically the whole of Dublin 2 and 4 east of that point.

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I've noticed a good few racks completely empty in the morning. Equally its just as annoying when the rack you go to is always full. Which is why I can't rely on them for a commute. Only for lunchtime spin into town etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭nachoman

The should make the roads alot safer, now thay we have more people on bicycles zoomin around the city.

nachoman wrote: »
    The should make the roads alot safer, now thay we have more people on bicycles zoomin around the city.

the roads in Dublin are perfectly safe if you have a bit of cop-on about while usingg them. I have never felt in danger cycling around town

na, they need to be made safer. ie. limit the amount of traffic from lorries and cars in the very centre of the city.

na, they need to be made safer. ie. limit the amount of traffic from lorries and cars in the very centre of the city.

large trucks are already banned. the only way to remove more traffic is to provide alternative routes, there are none that aren't already highly used. if you were to remove traffic from the cc roads would most likely be pedestrianised meaning you can't cycle on them anyway.

the 30kph limit was also designed to make the place safer, though I'm sceptical about is impact

well, I think if we have more people using bicycles like in Amsterdam, that would be ideal, what kind of road structure do they have there, thats more in favour of bicycles than cars?

well, I think if we have more people using bicycles like in Amsterdam, that would be ideal, what kind of road structure do they have there, thats more in favour of bicycles that cars?

Amsterdam is a perfect model to be looking to for increasing cycling use alright. The one advantage they have over Dublin is that in general the streets are much wider, allowing footpaths, cycle lanes, driving lanes and tram lanes all to be fitted in. There are a few main arteries that are very busy but aside from this the city is relativity quite from a car point of view. the bike usage is much higher than Dublin.

The thing about the bikes in Dublin is you also need a good public transport system to reduce cars and make using the bike easier, ie rathe rthan drive into work people can get the bus/laus/dart and cycle from the station to the nearest rack to their office. its happening and hopefully the DB network review will help aswell, removing buses from the streets and quays leaving more space.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭petermijackson

too big so too many bikes would end up there all the time, same reason they won't put any at Heuston.

My theory on this is that the advertising company that provide the Bikes do not care if people use them (in fact from a cost point of view they would prefer less people to use them) This is why they will not put them at Heuston, or the Colleges as there would be more work to do from the point of view of moving the bikes around the city

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Is there a Dublin Bikes drop off point anwhere near Kildare St?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭petermijackson

Yeah just at the end of it on Nassau Street and also on the street that joins Kildare Street to Dawson St

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Yeah just at the end of it on Nassau Street and also on the street that joins Kildare Street to Dawson St

Molesworth Street - and if both of them are full the east side of Stephens Green isn't too far away.

They might want to move them.this evening :eek:

dbgt51.jpg

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Wrecking Dublin Bikes? Yep, that'll make that bankers pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Seeing as the comrades couldn't even overpower 6 garda last week, I think the bikes are safe enough

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,543 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

large trucks are already banned.
    It doesn't ban large trucks, it just bans those with 5 or more axles on the ground for 12 hours a day excluding of course those that have a permit http://www.dublincity.ie/RoadsandTraffic/HGV/Pages/HGVPermit.aspx

An artic with 4 axles on the ground is still allowed to travel on the green roads on the map, IIRC some trucks can get around the ban by raising an axle.
    map http://www.dublincity.ie/SiteCollectionDocuments/map_hgv_restricted_zone.pdf

Seeing as the comrades couldn't even overpower 6 garda last week, I think the bikes are safe enough
    I think there will be more than 6 Gardai this time.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2010/0518/1224270600059.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭Ole Rodrigo

AMontague wrote: »

We are looking at ways of expanding the system. Funding is going to be a problem but we are looking at several different options - any suggestions would be welcome!

Would be great to see them further out in places like Sandymount, Phoenix park, St. Annes park, Dollymount beach

Advertisement