Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bikes [many] months on.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

Casey_81 wrote: »
    Yeah I'd imagine that you'd be wrecked cycling in cork.. would need a different model of bike with better gears to deal with all the hills.

Depends on your route; some routes along the rivers / old rail tracks are perfect for cycling. Others, especially if crossing the city, are killers.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭what_traffic

MYOB wrote: »
    Galway could definitely benefit from something similar; the topography of Cork would make it problematic though.

Galway City Council have included a Galway Bike Scheme in their "Smarter Travel Areas" Fund bid. Would really work well here in the West. The City/Town center is small.
    http://www.galwaycity.ie/SmarterTravel/GMSTA_01.pdf
    (Page 13)
    3.2.1 Walking and Cycling

In addition to infrastructure improvements, marketing and education will boost the uptake of sustainable travel modes

and introduction of the Galway Bike Rental Scheme will mean that bikes will be available to the whole community
    and visitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

Could be ideal in waterford and Kilkenny too !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,279 ✭✭✭NuMarvel

The extension of the Herbert Place station has opened; it now has 30 stands! I think Herbet Place was one of the first stations that extension work started on, so the others probably aren't too far behind.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Custom House Quay (beside the O'Casey footbridge) now has extra stands also.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Nassau Street (bottom of Kildare St) has the additional stands in operation now too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

Hi,I signed up for the bikes and I got my card in the post but they mention a pin code I need to rent a bike, where do I get this from? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Inbox wrote: »
    Hi,I signed up for the bikes and I got my card in the post but they mention a pin code I need to rent a bike, where do I get this from? :(

IIRC you would have given the pin yourself when you signed up to purchase the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

See now what I think DublinBikes should do is put bike places at the Abbey Street luas stop and the Stevens Green Luas stop and market a quick way to get between the Red and Green Lines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

It's brilliant this has worked

Before it started I reckoned they'd be in the canals and the Liffey within a week.
    That was me being foolish and negative :o
    But I certainly wasn't alone in being a naysayer!

Hope it gets expanded and other cities can try it too, Galway was mentioned also. Small city centre and lots of students, it'd work there too.

• Advertisement

It's brilliant this has worked

Before it started I reckoned they'd be in the canals and the Liffey within a week.
    That was me being foolish and negative :o
    But I certainly wasn't alone in being a naysayer!

Hope it gets expanded and other cities can try it too, Galway was mentioned also. Small city centre and lots of students, it'd work there too.

Yeah I love them so much.

They would be fantastic in Galway.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Subscriber numbers by month, contracts, locations of new and old ads, see here: http://dublinobserver.com/2010/11/data-blog-dublin-bikes/

Here's the main graph of subscriber numbers:

DublinBikeSubscribers.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Just back from London and had a look at the Barclay's Bike scheme. Their penalties for damaged or missing bikes are double of what they are here, late return fees even more.

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/roadusers/cycling/14811.aspx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭eia340600

Do they have problems over there?Obviously we don't need higher fines if people are doing nothing fine-worthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Hey all,

Is it just me or is anybody else noticing a lot of broken bikes at stations at the moment? There were two broken ones at the Bull & Castle stand today - one of them with the tyre completely ripped off.

Are they just getting old or is there some vandalism going on? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

z_topaz wrote: »
    Hey all,

Is it just me or is anybody else noticing a lot of broken bikes at stations at the moment? There were two broken ones at the Bull & Castle stand today - one of them with the tyre completely ripped off.

Are they just getting old or is there some vandalism going on? :confused:

To be honest, haven't noticed it, but have noticed that the brakes don't appear to be well-maintained. The last few bikes I was on took an age to stop.

P.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

oceanclub wrote: »
    To be honest, haven't noticed it, but have noticed that the brakes don't appear to be well-maintained. The last few bikes I was on took an age to stop.

P.

Did you call up and report them? I have done that a few times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

oceanclub wrote: »

P.

I thought the brake were just bad, being roller brakes or such.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭xoxyx

Maybe it's just my area then. But the latest thing I've seen is people putting the saddles on backwards when there's something wrong with the bikes. I didn't know what that was about at first until I turned around the seat on one and went to set off and nearly brained myself 'cause the mudguard was caught in the spokes.

z_topaz wrote: »
    Maybe it's just my area then. But the latest thing I've seen is people putting the saddles on backwards when there's something wrong with the bikes. I didn't know what that was about at first until I turned around the seat on one and went to set off and nearly brained myself 'cause the mudguard was caught in the spokes.

Yeah that's kind of the "unofficial rule" of what you do when a bike is broken - it is an indicator to the maintenance guys that it needs to be taken in for repair

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭AEG

amdublin wrote: »
    Yeah that's kind of the "unofficial rule" of what you do when a bike is broken - it is an indicator to the maintenance guys that it needs to be taken in for repair

It started in Paris with their Velo's. A saddle turned backwards indicated something wrong with the bike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭axiom

they need a few more stands at smithfield or a new rack in the area ..... always waiting to put my bike back

• Registered Users Posts: 5,924 ✭✭✭trellheim

am I right that it's not meant for commuters just occasional users ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

It's meant for anyone who wants to use them, commuters and casual users.

Dublin Bikes is my main mode of transport on Thursdays for getting between meetings etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭Casey_81

Whats the usage like in this wintry weather? Personally I haven't used a bike in a couple of weeks due to wind/rain etc..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Dublin City Council is to expand the bike scheme across the capital with up to 5,000 bikes being added over the next five years.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1111/dublin_bikes.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Bike stands are still empty at popular times from what I see.

Talking about the short journeys on a Dublin Bike. TBH you don't really get any wetter than walking, and its not that windy in town. So its not really that big an issue.

If you're commuting 30~60 mins on a bike on open roads, were theres no cover from wind, thats a bit different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭gar32

axiom wrote: »
    they need a few more stands at smithfield or a new rack in the area ..... always waiting to put my bike back

Another stand planned for top of smithfield. Out side fresh shop I think :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,920 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

Dublin City Council is to expand the bike scheme across the capital with up to 5,000 bikes being added over the next five years.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/1111/dublin_bikes.html

brilliant news if it comes to pass - I'd wonder where the funding is to come from though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Telchak

loyatemu wrote: »
    brilliant news if it comes to pass - I'd wonder where the funding is to come from though.

Presumably from a similar billboards for bikes scheme as the first ones?

Advertisement