Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving back to Dublin from the United States

Options
  • 21-10-2009 3:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

My wife , 2 young kids and I are planning on moving back to Dublin before the new year.

We don't have jobs in Dublin - we were both recently laid off from good financial services jobs in New York. As we have nothing to keep us here in NY - we see it as a good time to fulfill our ambition of returning home and raising our family in Ireland.

Question:

How easy is it to get an unfurnished house rental in Dublin if you have no job/income?

We can prove that we have hard assets in the bank - easily enough to keep us going for a few years. We don't want to buy just yet - we'd rather get settled in for a year or so before we make a decision on where/what exactly to buy. We were thinking of renting in the Dundrum / Goatstown general area - only because that's where my wife is originally from.

PS - no lectures please on how bad the job market is in Dublin. Believe me, they aren't exactly crying out for people in NY at the moment.

Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭hoser expat

Sorry to hear you've lost your jobs. America isn't always the promised land that people think it is. I left the US about 2 years ago for a new job in Dublin and don't miss the US one bit (I'm not American or Irish). Be aware though that it will mean you lose your Green Card (if that is your immigration status).

As for housing, well, I would think that most landlords would be over the moon right now to get a professional couple in their place, even if they don't have jobs right away. Gone are the days of landlords being able to pick and choose who they take. If you can show enough hard assets for a couple of years worth of living I'm sure they'll be happy to take you. And you're right, no point in buying just yet (of course you won't get a mortgage)

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,906 ✭✭✭J-blk

I agree that if you can show you can easily afford the place for the duration of your lease, most landlords will probably be flexible enough these days. I moved into a new place in March and was asked for a work reference and all that was, was a letter from my HR rep. stating that I work full time for my employer from date x - no other details at all. My point being that for all they knew, I could still be earning less than needed to comfortably cover the rent, etc. But they had no problem with it - so in your case, where you can even demonstrate that you can afford the place, I don't see many landlords turning you away.

Good luck with the house and job search :).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

As long as you can pay the rent each month and don't trash the place I don't think any landlord would give two hoots what your employment status is. Different matter if you were looking to buy and trying to get a mortgage. But renting, as long as the money is coming in Landlord is happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Welcome home. No problem to get an unfurnished family rental house in a nice area for about €2.5k+ depending on size etc. There are also some jobs in financial services which is good news for you. Not a lot but there are a few here and there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

One thing I would point out- is houses tend to be let furnished in Ireland- unlike in the States. You may actually have difficulty finding an unfurnished one- they would be highly unusual.

S.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 385 ✭✭emty

Came back from New York five years ago this week-after sixteen years there-so the only advice I would try to give you is to think carefully about what you are going to do...and then think a bit more :).
    Best of luck with whatever you do decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

kmick wrote: »
    Welcome home. No problem to get an unfurnished family rental house in a nice area for about €2.5k+ depending on size etc. .

seriously who is paying 2.5k for what they want ? a 3/4 bed in dundrum / goatstown shouldnt come close to that :eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 legocity

Thank you everyone for your responses - they have been helpful.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭Jellab

HI, having lived in the US for 6 years I moved home with a lot of furniture. (Container full)
    It will be hard to find a house unfurnished. We have just recently moved to a house in Knocklyon ( not far from Dundrum) there was furniture in the house and we asked the landlord if they could move it out, lucky for us they had somewhere to store it so were able to oblige us.
    I am sure once you can show you can pay the rent you will get a nice house no problems. Plus offer less money than they are asking for as rents have come down a lot in Dublin (not before time)
    www.daft.ie

Best of luck with your move
    ;)

Advertisement