Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DkIT - A gem overlooked

• 21-10-2009 4:08am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭

If your going to party and enjoy yourself at college, surely Dundalk is the place to be?
    I read all the papers about what colleges have the best social scene the most fun, and Dundalk is never mentioned. Maybe thats a good thing too, but ive known alot of people living up here and then moving to Dublin to go to college.
    They ALL regret moving. Everyone of them.
    We have the best college in the country with regards to the social scene. NUIG is not bad, but Dublin is atrocious for it. No defined place to be, and the rag weeks are below average to say the least.
    The education in dundalk may not be the highest standard, but its not bad, and the social life makes many WANT to repeat.....
    I guess it may have something to do with being close to the border...
    Thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 102 ✭✭up the town

Maybe I missed the boat here but Im at a loss here to see where you are getting all your Good nights from.
    Ok Thursday nights have picked up thanks to Brubakers, and Mondays you have Amber. What does one do on a Tuesday or Wednesday night??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Junior #8

This is where the whole "doing work in college thing" happens for me anyway.
    Mondays and Thursdays not any good?
    I usually head to Rockfield, theres always fun to be had.

Im getting confused by you. You state that: We have the best college in the country with regards to the social scene... WTF Then you talk about going to Rockfield. Cmon like we can all do house parties in any part of the country. the social scene usually involves going out!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭Junior #8

Your not making any sense. I asked you were Mondays and Thursdays not any good and you start rambling on about house parties.
    I prefer to go to house parties before goin out tho.
    I was talking about Tuesdays and Wednesdays like you asked, and i go to rockfield these two days if i stay up, but ya cant go out everyday TBH.
    Gotta get work done too.
    (I answered your earlier questions in order BTW)

Yes Mondays and thursdays are good,
    Im more of a pub drinker than a house drinker, and just dont see how Dundalk has a better social scene than Dublin. 2 niteclubs which arent really all that good, and only one decent pub in Brus. Bartender is a good pub but no cheap booze.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

The only plus side to the DKIT social scene is that the classes are small so generally a group forms out of classes and you get to know people easily and this also applies to the housing estates, people generally get to know each other.

Whereas in the likes of Dublin this wouldn't be the case.

However I'd rather have the massive choice of places to go than be stuck in Silence every Thursday night.

Rag weeks in other colleges are also generations ahead of the rag weeks and other student events held in Dundalk, this is partly down to lack of funding for the student union.

Having said that I lived in College Heights for two years and house parties and the craic in the area was great and something I would love to experience again, as I said getting to know people so easily was what made it and you wouldn't get this in Dublin.

So in my opinion its ok, it has its pluses but its flaws too, its definitely not a gem

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭Fo Real

OP, how many colleges have you attended? I assume you've attended several because you can compare their social life with DKIT.

And I serioulsy doubht that all your mates regret going to college in Dublin :rolleyes:

Maye you're happy to spend the rest of your life in your tiny little town hanging out with the Dundalk locals and culchies. Personally I prefer the more cosmopolitan feel of Dublin (which isn't a big city either) and the much wider variety of places to go on a night out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Madflah

Junior #8 wrote: »
    The education in dundalk may not be the highest standard......and the social life makes many WANT to repeat.....

:mad:I take exception to that first comment!!!! Believe me i am telling you the truth when i say that i have experienced worse lecturers at one of our finest Universitys than i did at DKIT(not saying that poor Lecturers dont exist in Dundalk). As for curriculum well it has to be sanctioned by the Dept of Education - A good example would be that A & F at DKIT and DCU get more exemptions from professional qualifications than anyone else.

So thats why students repeat!! Ahhhh best give up improving pass rates then.

Dundalk is a grand night out, it is no Cork or Galway or even Waterford though. Due to past inept SU officers, until recently, DKIT SU is light years behind Sligo for example but there has been improvement so maybe one day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Madflah

Fo Real wrote: »
    cosmopolitan feel of Dublin

:oYou are joking right?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I'm not sure what DKIT is like these days, but when i was there a few years ago there was a great social life. There where parties and nites to go to most nights of the week. These wouldn't be arranged bu the SU but there was always something to be found.

Towards my final years the bar opened in the college and the SU where putting on activities there frequently enough.

But, every college/uni has there own social life and student body. Comparing then is not an easy task.

• Advertisement
Advertisement