Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ya'll think a 650 PSU is enough for this rig?

Options
  • 21-10-2009 5:44am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

So, I am in the process of (slowly slowly) building up my rig. ATM I have a CiT (Please don't hurt me) Generic 750 (aka 500 :P) PSU, but I really want to swap it for a decent corsair 650 Modular one.

Of course, I wanna make sure I get things right, so I ask your learned opinion :)

T3h Rig:
    Gigabyte P55 UD3
    Ati 5850 or 5750 (unsure yet)
    i5-750 (oc'd to 4GHz)
    8 GB of 1333 DDR3 Ram
    7 or 9 Kaze Slipstream 1900 RMP 120mm Fans
    Fan Controler

all the other bits and bobs.

I am pretty sure a 650 is even a bit much, but I'd rather have too much than too little :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Leman_Russ wrote: »
    So, I am in the process of (slowly slowly) building up my rig. ATM I have a CiT (Please don't hurt me) Generic 750 (aka 500 :P) PSU, but I really want to swap it for a decent corsair 650 Modular one.

Of course, I wanna make sure I get things right, so I ask your learned opinion :)

T3h Rig:
    Gigabyte P55 UD3
    i5-750 (oc'd to 4GHz)
    8 GB of 1333 DDR3 Ram
    Fan Controler

I am pretty sure a 650 is even a bit much, but I'd rather have too much than too little :)

More than enough.

What case do you have?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Its fine, but I'd make it a 750W if there's ever a possibility of You upgrading to a 5870x2 or similar dual card.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Leman_Russ

uberpixie wrote: »
    More than enough.

What case do you have?

CM Storm Scout, with the crap stock fans ripped out :P
    PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Its fine, but I'd make it a 750W if there's ever a possibility of You upgrading to a 5870x2 or similar dual card.

I honestly don't see that happening any time soon (and by that I mean I'll most likely need a new Mobo anyway) but something to keep in mind anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

What will you actually be doing with this pc?
    If gaming at what resolution

Effluo wrote: »
    What will you actually be doing with this pc?
    If gaming at what resolution

Gaming most certainly. I'll be running 2x Monitors 1400*900 (which I have now) with future plans to get a 3rd (yay Eyefinity). I might also upgrade to CrossFire later on, though I guess by the time I do I'd have to buy a new Mobo and 2 new GPus anyway :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

cant hurt to have a bit more juice with that rig. espically if your planning on future upgrade's, but as it stands running it with 650 is safe.

That 8gigs of ram is certainly overkill. 4g's is not even necessary, but a much better idea than the 8...

I hope you're going for the 5850 btw as the 5750 is currently not worth it's price!

Your 650watt psu will be more than enough for your oc'd rig and even a second 5850.

Crossfire P55 boards seem to be at the bottom of the range boards prices...
    Asus have one on hrws.de for €115.
    And i think so do gigabyte?

Either way when getting the new dx11 cards now, a xfire board imo is definitely worth it!

Good Point, I've just lived with 2GB of ram for so long I yearn for more :P

Yeah, ATM my Motherboard is x16/x4 (so no good for Xfire) but I can always buy a new mobo if I go Xfire.

Only reason I mentioned the 5750 is because it is a mid range. Is it really not worth the £100 or so I have seen it go for? I guess it looks fugly too. :D

Your mobo is a 16x + 4x.

Someone posted a great article on this a couple of weeks ago about the differences in performance between a 16x and 8x and 4x and even 2x and 1x...

You should try find the article but the difference was neglible. (around 5% i fink?)

So Your mobo would prob even do!

Your mobo is a 16x + 4x.

Someone posted a great article on this a couple of weeks ago about the differences in performance between a 16x and 8x and 4x and even 2x and 1x...

You should try find the article but the difference was neglible. (around 5% i fink?)

Really? I heard that the minimum needed was x8/x8 and that the difference between x8/x8 and x16/x16 was not an issue unless you were running 2xDualGPUs.

Huh, Live and learn i suppose.

• Advertisement

Well you may be right yet!

The study was about single gpu's not gpu's in xfire...
    Although it sounds odd to me that it would be the case

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Basically, LGA1156 might knock 2 HD5870X2s in CF a few FPS back every so often due to bandwidth limitations. It certainly doesn't have much of an issue with HD5870s, maybe 1-2% performance reduction vs. LGA1366.

And a decent 550W PSU would do unless you want to heavily OC the HD5850 as well as the CPU. Or want to stick a big RAID array in there ;)

Solitaire wrote: »
    Basically, LGA1156 might knock 2 HD5870X2s in CF a few FPS back every so often due to bandwidth limitations. It certainly doesn't have much of an issue with HD5870s, maybe 1-2% performance reduction vs. LGA1366.

And a decent 550W PSU would do unless you want to heavily OC the HD5850 as well as the CPU. Or want to stick a big RAID array in there ;)

Well of COURSE I'm gonna overclock the GPU silly! :pac:

But what is the damage done if I use a x16/x4 Crossfire rather than x8/x8? I've heard a lot of "don't do it!" but not performance numbers.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

x8/x8 is only of minor consequence to the ultra-high-end and negligible to everyone else. x16/x4 is a bit more serious, as once you go CF most CF-capable cards will start to get bottlenecked a bit. Of course, with PCIe2.0 its still only a fairly minor issue so long as you're prepared to lose a small but increasingly large amount of performance as the power of the GPU increases, but with PCIe1.1x4 you'll see most gaming-grade GPUs suffer varying levels of pain.

I see.

Not an issue for me ATM anyway, I have to get the rest of my new PSU, ram and a few more fans first before I think about replacing my ancient 8600GTS :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

500w would probably do you to be honest. Im running alot more on a 550 with no issues atm.

Anti wrote: »
    500w would probably do you to be honest. Im running alot more on a 550 with no issues atm.

What does "a lot more" constitute? :D

I know I am a dick for asking, but Having made the mistake of buying a too weak PSU in the past, I don't want to do it again. If I can get a 550 (because, lets face it, it's cheaper :P), I will, I just want to be extra careful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Overclocked and volted Q6600, 8gb ram, 6 hdds. 6x 120mm fans 1x 140mm fan. X-fi with breakout box, Ati 5870, corsair ram cooler, fan controller, blu-ray drive. Granted not alot more, but this card is a beast and draws alot of power.

Heh, wow thats quite a lot :D

I think I might get the HX520 from Corsair then (yes I seem to be a corsair fanboi now) :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭uberpixie

Your mobo is a 16x + 4x.

read an article once (forget the website of course!) where they did test xfire on a variety of motherboards.

They found in some games the difference between 16x/16x Vs 16x/4x was 5%, but in other games there was a much large gap in some cases 20 frames. (world In Conflict was one example were performance tanked, have looked at other revies though where they calim the difference is very low for WiC though...)

Really came down to the game you were playing seemingly.

• Advertisement

Leman_Russ wrote: »

T3h Rig:
    Gigabyte P55 UD3
    i5-750 (oc'd to 4GHz)
    8 GB of 1333 DDR3 Ram
    Fan Controler

Came across this: http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp. It calculates the power requirements for a pc. Maybe some genius (seems to be a lot of them around here), can say if its any good.:)

Came across this: http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp. It calculates the power requirements for a pc. Maybe some genius (seems to be a lot of them around here), can say if its any good.:)

Yeah that's been around for yeeeeeeears.

Used it, but better to actually get people who know WTF they are on about to confirm it :pac::pac:

It actually says I need 519 Watts at 85% Load with TWO 5870's :D

Advertisement