Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting in Melbourne - Advice

Options
  • 21-10-2009 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 756 ✭✭✭

Hi there,

I am moving to Melbourne next week and I will be getting a place with my girlfriend in Melbourne. She is currently reviewing and visiting flats for us as she has been out there for a few months now. However, she recieved some advice yesterday from a mate and I wanted to confirm whether people here have experienced the same.

Basically, we are told that getting a place in Melbourne can be tough as there is more demand than supply. Generally, the process can take 4-6 weeks if you simply fill out applications at the rent advertised. We have been told that we can expedite the process by 1) offering more rent than advertised, and 2) offering to pay 2 months rent up front etc etc.

I must admit, this kind of stuff gets my back up sometimes as I expect transactions to be as advertised, but we have seen a couple of places we really like and would rather not lose out.

Have people experienced/heard the same in relation to this? Any other tips to help secure rental properties?

Cheers.
    D.S.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

The hard part is true the market is tough. We had no aus rental history so we did offer 2 months rent as bond. If you are both working i see no issue decent

Advertisement