Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 year old "house trained"

Options
  • 21-10-2009 9:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭

My dog, over the past 2 days, has taken to peeing in the kitchen again. Yesterday I overlooked it, I was out for a few hours (maybe 2) and thought that maybe I hadn't let him out close enough to the time I left or something. But today, I'm here, the back door is open for him, and he's done it again.:mad: What would cause a dog to decide to do this? Would a vet check up be in order or is that over reacting? He seems fine otherwise, nothing has changed in the house.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

Has it only happened in the kitchen? Have you recently had another dog in the house? If so he could be ensuring that he's masking the other dogs scent.

I think bringing him the vet may be slightly over-reacting at this stage as you say there are no other issues.
    Maybe because he got away with it yesterday he thinks its now ok to do it there?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

My boy - doing it on purpose!! He'd never do such a thing. :P

Yeah you're probably right. We think now he may have done it because the day is not very nice and he didn't want to get cold.

I wasn't sure how to react as I've never had that problem before, like with a young pup you can't blame them so there is nothing to do but try harder to get him out on time and clean the mess. But with an older house trained dog, when the back door is open, I'm not sure how to not let him get away with it if you know what I mean.

Little brat got his teeth into my hot water bottle earlier too :mad:

Anybody want a dog?;)

Anybody want a dog?;)
    I'll take your one.
    If you take my two!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Do you tend to leave your back door open for him?
    We (during the summer) had put in a homemade doorflap thing into our sliding door so they could come and go as they pleased but in this weather we can't. So they got used to telling us when they wanted to go outside (youngest is 9months), then I left it in for a day or two and took it out again, and Daisy pee'd on the step at the door, twice. So probably my fault because she got used to being able to go out / not have to tell me and then suddenly changed again. So now we don't have the flap in (horrible weather) and she's copped that she needs to let us know if she wants out.
    Lily won't go out in the rain, she doesn't like getting wet :rolleyes: (but we tend to poke her out anyway!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭Carroller16

Same thing has happened with my 1 year old JRT but he has also done a number 2 in the kitchen when the door was left open for him.

There hasn't been a dog in the house recently.

• Advertisement

star-pants wrote: »
    Do you tend to leave your back door open for him?
    We (during the summer) had put in a homemade doorflap thing into our sliding door so they could come and go as they pleased but in this weather we can't. So they got used to telling us when they wanted to go outside (youngest is 9months), then I left it in for a day or two and took it out again, and Daisy pee'd on the step at the door, twice. So probably my fault because she got used to being able to go out / not have to tell me and then suddenly changed again. So now we don't have the flap in (horrible weather) and she's copped that she needs to let us know if she wants out.
    Lily won't go out in the rain, she doesn't like getting wet :rolleyes: (but we tend to poke her out anyway!)
    Poor Lily!:D

I leave it open when I'm here. But he's done it while the door was open. He's usually excellent. I don't know why he's done it now. I think I will keep an eye on him today and if needs be, do another crash course in crate training with him.

That dog flap is a good idea, I's love to give him run of the back garden while I'm out, but the back door is glass. Unlike the cats, he can't scale the counter and squeeze out the window.

Yeah - maybe he's just not liking the rain? It's possible, Lily will hold it for AGES if needs be, Daisy flipping loves the rain, will play all day in it if you let her.

Aye we've a sliding door so dad had to build a long rectangular frame that sits into the sliding door (so we can close the door over as far as the frame) it has net in the gap so as things can't get in but air can, and a net flap down the bottom, we tried a proper flap down the bottom but we couldn't get em through for love nor money.

Maybe see how he does over the next few days, bring him out and plonk him on the grass maybe? Even if it does mean you get a little wet, and lots of praise might make him be a bit more ok if it's the rain/wind getting to him.

The silly thing is that he loves playing in the rain, he's a real mucky dog. I was out walking with my dads pointer, she daintily skipped around a huge puddle in a field while harley thundered through the middle of it, and again on the way back to the car for good measure! The rain doesn't seem to phase him. Then again, I wonder could the wind be scaring him. We've had pretty loud wind over the past few days which he wouldn't be used to at all.

Could you post a picture of your dads door filler piece. I would love to get something like that made.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

star-pants wrote: »
    Lily will hold it for AGES

Is this a "Lily" thing? I have a Lily too and she is a record pee holder - esp if it is raining! We had to head into town on Monday, left house at 7.30 in the morning and were not back until 4.30 that afternoon. The rest of the dogs were dying to get out but she daudled out and it took us about 10 mins to convince her she needed to go. Later, my OH informed me that she hadn't gone that morning when he let them all out so she had held it from 9.30 the night before (that's a whopping 17 hours!) :eek:

OP - sounds to me like your dog doesn't like the bad weather we have been having. Star-Pants' advice is what I would do, plonk in the grass with lots of praise!

I'll get a picture for you later Helena - currently thundering down outside!
    Could be the wind - if it's making funny noises with trees or if Harley can see something moving it might make him worried about going out. I know my girls can woof at things like that if they catch them off guard.

Lore -- it must be!! she will hold it for ages, and you have to convince her to go, you can nearly see the 'oh but it's wet and the grass is soggy, oh I don't want to put my paws here...' in her face!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

I have a dog that can hold on for 12 or 13 hrs, by choice.
    If she wee's in the house there is something wrong with her, same with a poo.
    It might be a case of laziness on your dogs part but it could also indicate discomfort, i think i would get it checked out anyway.

if any of my cats or dog have an accident they are brought to the vets and 90 % of the time there is a medical reason for what they did.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sashaandciara

My dog, over the past 2 days, has taken to peeing in the kitchen again. Yesterday I overlooked it, I was out for a few hours (maybe 2) and thought that maybe I hadn't let him out close enough to the time I left or something. But today, I'm here, the back door is open for him, and he's done it again.:mad: What would cause a dog to decide to do this? Would a vet check up be in order or is that over reacting? He seems fine otherwise, nothing has changed in the house.

Hi there
    I have 2 dogs and we i got them as pups the best thing that i done was every time they did it pee i would rub their noses in it this way it stops doing it.
    I know i thought it was cruel but it does work and now my 2 dogs goes out the bk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭merryhappy

Hi there
    I have 2 dogs and we i got them as pups the best thing that i done was every time they did it pee i would rub their noses in it this way it stops doing it.
    I know i thought it was cruel but it does work and now my 2 dogs goes out the bk

Possibly the worst advice that could have been given. I mean obviously the dog is going to stop peeing in the house if you rub its nose in it, wouldn't you? What you have successfuly done by using this method is instil fear in your dog, congratulations.

OP has your dog been neutered if not getting it done could solve the problem:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,600 ✭✭✭00112984

Hi there

That's ridiculous advice- cruel and unnecessary.

You didn't teach your dogs to go outside, you taught them not to pee in front of you.

Hi there

OPs dog is a year old, not a puppy.
    Besides, its 2009 now.

Sashaandciara, thank you for the advice, but really, subjecting my dog to that sort of treatment is not something I want to do. Please do some research on better ways to house train your dog. That sort of behaviour is not necessary, nor is it good for your dogs mental health.

We have come to the conclusion that he went on the floor to avoid going out in the bad weather. Kieran had him out for his evening walk and said he was very jumpy when the wind got heavy, so I think it's the noise (he hates traffic too). I've spent the last while out the back with him making sure he went. If he does it again tonight I will look into it further. I've been warned that a dog that had parvo as a pup can have problems later on, so if it continues, I think I will have a vet look at him, just to be sure. If he gets a clean bill of health, it will be back to crate training him.

Thanks everyone for your advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sashaandciara

00112984 wrote: »
    That's ridiculous advice- cruel and unnecessary.

You didn't teach your dogs to go outside, you taught them not to pee in front of you.

Look everyone has there own way of bringing up a dog that's the way i was thaught and i have had dog's all my life. This has worked for me all the time!!!!!!!!!!! It's not cruel :p and ridiculous

Why scare your dog into doing what you want when you can gently teach him?

Plenty of people are brought up with dogs where they learn if a dog misbehaves give it a belt of a stick or a kick. Just because they were taught that way, does that mean it's right?

This has been done to death on this forum. Most people know that it's a silly, cruel and very oldfashioned way to teach your dog not to go in the house. So there is no point getting into it here.

Anyway, I'm asking about a fully house trained dog, reverting to p'ing on the floor. Not about training a puppy. So can we not get into this please. If you have any advice as to why you might think an adult dog has done it great.

Advertisement