Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

stop my dogs chewing

Options
  • 21-10-2009 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

hi all. i have two puppies and they are teething at the moment. Now thats all fine, but they are chewing the edges of my lovely new flower boxes. I did get spray that tastes bad and put it around the edge of the pots, but it rained so i think it all just came off and they continued to chew them.

they do have toys to chew but i guess they like to chew other things to.
    does anyone know of any other ways i could get them to stop? i think the spray stuff could work, but the rain will keep washing it off so thats no good. anyone got any other ideas?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 jimmyn

I tried the spray with mine, but it didn't do much good to be honest.

Thing is you can't stop them chewing. It's a matter of consistently directing them to appropriate items to chew and restricting access to inappropriate items. Can you keep the pups away from your flower boxes?

If you catch them in the act, give them a stern NO, and redirect their attention to a kong toy stuffed with something tasty. If you do this regularly, they should eventually get the message.

At least they'll grow out of it... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Aye Jimmy's right - most dogs end up liking things like that! My friend tried that drop of hotsauce in olive oil rubbed on the wood the labs were chewing, and they loved it!!

Let them know they shouldn't chew them and make sure they have something else to be chewing/have interest in. Like the filled Kongs etc, some people say peanutbutter in them and pop em in the freezer can keep pups busy, plus the coolness will ease the gums. Ice cubes are good too as again they can keep the gums cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I got that stupid spray at the weekend - the puppy licked it all up and thought it was lovely! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭bernard0368

White vinger will do the trick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

I've never found anything that stops pups chewing furniture :(. The spray was useless - the offending pup nearly begged me to keep spraying it on her favourite chew (a bedside locker) as she loved it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Ulanzi

This is a really tough one. The kongs stuffed with peanut butter or some such thing are good. Definitely rotate toys. I always keep different ones away from my chap so that when I give them to him again it's as though it's a new toy and always more interesting than what he has already.

Be really strict about yours and mine. Don't allow them to chew anything soft if it's soft furnishings they chew. If they're chewing legs of furniture, and things like that (this is going to sound strange) but try wrapping things like that in bubble wrap temporarily. You'll get that in easons, stationary shops or hardware stores. My guy is like Conan the destructor but somehow, bubblewrap holds no appeal so our furniture legs and apple trees have remained safe. It's just a temporary thing, but when you lose the bubblewrap, they seem to remain disinterested.

Again, hiding some pate or peanut butter within the folds of rawhide bones makes the bones take on a new interest. A squeaky toy for when you're not there can add another dimension to chewing and play. Best of luck with it. It's a lot of trial and error that stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Ulanzi

Oh and PS for next year - Dunnes do great ceramic flower pots. Very solid and unchewable

Advertisement