Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post

Options
  • 21-10-2009 9:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭

I recently received a missed delivery docket from An Post, which was surprising as in the past the postman has always left things outside my apartment door, and in my three year there nothing has ever gone missing. Anyway, since they have set up the DSU, this hasn't always happened, but they have always been happy enough, at least till now, to send to my work address. I rang up the customer services to query where the latest one was, and was then told they won't deliver to another postal area. I pointed out they have done so in the past, and was told they aren't supposed to, and are clamping down on it. I told them that living in Portmarnock, and as I don't drive I have no way of getting to Baldoyle. I asked why they would not redeliver it, seeing as it was being sent to same person etc, and there was no way around it.

Anyway, just a heads up to others of the new "improvements" that An Post have told us about, because from my point of view it is a step backwards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

Well lets look at it form their point of view.

The sender paid for deliver to your address. AnPost tried to deliver, you were not in. They will now hold it for X days.

You want them to go and try to deliver it to another area, which will involve more transport, man power and effort. Whats in it for them?

Why would you not just get stuff posted to where you can recieve it. If it was stolen form outside your apt. You would have no problem blaiming ANpost.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

To be honest I don't see this as a consumer issue, An Post would be stupid to just leave boxes outside people's doors so its a very good thing that they've stopped this.

If you search this forum you'll see people HAVE complained about An Post leaving stuff outside their doors so again this is a good thing.

As for delivering to a different address, well if you wanted it sent to your work address you should have gotten the person or company who sent it to address it to your work address.

Its not An Post job to re-route people's post based on their whims on where they want their stuff delivered....unless they've paid for post re-direct.

Big thumbs up to An Post for sticking to their proper procedures on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭MysticalSoul

Cabaal wrote: »
    As for delivering to a different address, well if you wanted it sent to your work address you should have gotten the person or company who sent it to address it to your work address.

Unfortunately I did not know said item was being sent - was not something I ordered, so if the person had actually told me they were sending me something in the post I could have told them.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Unfortunately I did not know said item was being sent - was not something I ordered, so if the person had actually told me they were sending me something in the post I could have told them.

Fair enough but its still not An Post's fault you were not at home and don't have a car to go to the depot. :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 6,817 ✭✭✭jenizzle

Cabaal wrote: »
    Fair enough but its still not An Post's fault you were not at home and don't have a car to go to the depot. :)

At the same time, the person who paid for the postage paid for it to be delivered to the address shown, not for it to sit in a depot office.

Btw, I do agree with you. The less boxes sitting outside doors, the better.

• Advertisement

jenizzle wrote: »
    At the same time, the person who paid for the postage paid for it to be delivered to the address shown, not for it to sit in a depot office.

Btw, I do agree with you. The less boxes sitting outside doors, the better.

But they did attempt a delivery which is what they are paid for.

Its standard for any postal service to then return it to depot for pickup by the customer if they were not available when an delivery was attempted.

You can't expect a postal service to simply keep trying to deliver it everyday till the customers at home, what happens if the customer was on holidays for 3 weeks....would be an awful waste of time and resources :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Haven't seen one of those dockets in a while but if memory serves correct does it not mention a number to request re-delivery?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

ShooterSF wrote: »
    Haven't seen one of those dockets in a while but if memory serves correct does it not mention a number to request re-delivery?
    you may request the item be delivered again unless it was a parcel, see here
    and also OP there are thousands of people without cars that manage to collect post from the baldoyle depot.

Advertisement