Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is a slight cough normal?

Options
  • 21-10-2009 9:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭

I have a 5month old beagle, who has a cough every now and again. I cant find any pattern with it (ie not particularly at night/morning)
    Im a little bit concerned, and I know youll say take him to the vet if youre worried, but my question is do I need to? A few weeks ago he was taken to the vet for his final vaccination/worm tabs and everything and we were told not to worry about it.
    It doesnt seem to be going away though, and sometimes its almost like hes going to throw up..

Otherwise he seems happy, active and hes eating and drinking fine.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

First thing I thought about was kennel cough.

But if its been going on for a while now and the vet has already said it was fine then I dunno...
    Maybe ring the vet and tell him you are worried as its been going on since last time you had him in and see what he says.

Doesn't sound right though to be coughing for an extended period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭Azureus

Thanks Kildara-Thats what I was thinking
    Also just noticed a green mucus coming out of his nose so Im thinking some kinda of infection? Thats only started today though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I'd definitely take a trip to the vet, my pup had a sort of cough, not very often but it was like she couldn't breathe for a few seconds each time. And she'd thrown up a handful of timees, mucusy.
    Vet said she'd yeast infection - her tummy was all gassy = throwing up. Her tonsils were all inflammed and this caused the funny breathing. Course of anti-bs and a shot and she's great again.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

A slight cough isn't normal it could be anything from an infection to something lodged in the throat or perhap the pup has been pulling on the lead ie if you don't use a harness some pups will pull and it can cause coughing etc. Vet will shed some light on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Medievalist

My dog has a mild case of asthma, which sets her off coughing occasionally. But if there is discharge around the nose, it's definitely worth getting it checked out. Hope all goes well :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Azureus wrote: »
    Thanks Kildara-Thats what I was thinking
    Also just noticed a green mucus coming out of his nose so Im thinking some kinda of infection? Thats only started today though.

The vet is probably your best port of call. Young pups can pick up things all over the place and nipping it in the bud is your best bet. Hope all goes well and little one is fixed up soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

If it was a cat, I'd say furrball.;)
    Seriously, one of our dogs Elliott gets a slight cough on & off. He HAS been checked by a vet & it's nothing sinister. I give him manuka honey & it eases it. However, if he had any different type of cough or a persistant one, or any of the others suddenly developed one, I'd be straight down the vets. As G has said, it could be any number of things.
    Plus, any discharge is a totally different kettle of fish & needs to be seen asap, especially in a pup, they can pick up allsorts.
    Good luck with him & let us know how you get on!

Will do guys, thanks for the advice.
    Definately taking him to the vet on friday (soonest I can) cause hes started to get less hyper than usual now too, is a lot cuddlier/sleepy, and there is definately still discharge around the nose where there wasnt before today.
    Ill let yas know how I get on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 545 ✭✭✭ghost_ie

Are there any smokers in the house? My eldest dog had a cough like that for 8 years. She stopped coughing when I gave up ciggies.

Nope no smokers, cant think of any irritants that'd set him off other than pulling on the lead a little, but I really dont think thats it
    Think its more than that with the mucus gick anyway so its off to the vets today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭kildara

How did ye get on at the vets?

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

The green discharge is a definite sign of infection. Also the fact that your dog is less active, and sleepy would indicate that there is some possible disease process going on. Pups generally become lethargic when they don't feel too well. I would definitely take your pup to the vet.

Advertisement