Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What type of light do i need

Options
  • 21-10-2009 10:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I dont think its the best idea but I have been asked to put a light in an attic to stop pipes in the water tank from freezing the house is unoccupied during the winter so it will probably be put on a timer. What would be the best type of light to use or does anyone have any other ideas

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I don't think it is a geat idea either, but I have come across plenty of people who do!

Anyway, I would suggest that you use an infra red lamp because they are designed to provide heat. Make sure that the lamp holder is heat resistant, perhaps porcelain. Just to be on the safe side I would use HR flex too.

I don't think you should use a timer, a thermostat would be better. You only want the lamp to switch on if the temperature drops below about 3 DegC regardless of what time of the day it is.

Be careful though, if not installed properly it may become a fire hazzard!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 PatEgan08

thanks 2011 the stat sounds like a better idea. ya im kind of worried about it being a fire hazzard 2. im just thinking about the stat now the type that can be fixed to the pipes usually have a low temp of about 30 deg the light would just end up on most of the time anyway. have you got any other types in mind. sorry im a third year apprentice not used to this type of work but am happy 2 learn

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Why not just turn off the mains, and drain the tank for the winter. It wont cost a thing buying new lamps and it wont be running up the electricity bill, and wont be a fire hazard! Worst aspect is air locks on the refill but no biggy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

i wonder what the risk level is if everything is well-insulated?draining the tank is a good idea if premises unoccupied.
    Lag any exposed copper connected to tank-very prone to burst

• Registered Users Posts: 8 PatEgan08

draining the tank is a good idea ill suggest it but it might not be ideal for them have not looked at the job yet must go on sat ill know more then

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,591 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

I had to drain my attic tank before. It took me hours to get all of the air locks out of the system. Perhaps an experinced plumber could sort this far quicker.

If you don't want an electrical solution, perhaps better insulation is the best option.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 509 ✭✭✭bertie1

PatEgan08 wrote: »
    I dont think its the best idea but I have been asked to put a light in an attic to stop pipes in the water tank from freezing the house is unoccupied during the winter so it will probably be put on a timer. What would be the best type of light to use or does anyone have any other ideas

There are cold watch heaters on the market ( dimplex make them & they are available at any electrical wholesaler) , wire a socket to the attic & just plug this heater in. It runs about 600Watts. There is a frost stat built into it and it is designed for the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Also when you are buying the thermostat, you need a special version called a frost stat.

The operational range of this is around 0 - 6 degrees.

Advertisement