Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could you ever imagine giving up surfing?

Options
  • 21-10-2009 10:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭

well, could you?
    Say, for example, a job took you somewhere such as Germany, or Austria, or the middle of France, etc., where you were hours and hours from the sea.

For example, I live an hour max from the Atlantic. If I had to go to Dublin for work, it wouldn't be so bad, you're always within 3 hours of the sea (west coast).

Can you imagine moving to London? Not getting your fix...?

It's a situation I may find myself in, and am all for having to move abroad in theory, but I keep saying "nah, not near the ocean..".

I wouldn't call myself an expert surfer, far from it, but my weekly trips are getting contagious....

It would be a shame to ever have to stop...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

seachto7 wrote: »
    Can you imagine moving to London? Not getting your fix...?

I did exactly that :(
    In fairness I wasn't exactly a regular surfer beforehand, didn't have my own transport, so had to rely on a mate for a lift if I fancied a surf.
    I still get cravings to get out there pretty much every weekend (even now that it's getting colder, and it gets ****ing cold over here!)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

no, i dont think i could do it. i was so homesick when i moved to nz from ireland almost two years ago now, but now that ive got surfing... well the only reason i'd moved back to irelnad would be to be back with my friends and family and hte place i called home for 19 years, but that's in kildare, landlocked, and i can't drive... i'd have to move somewhere walking distance from a decent break, and, well, no point moving back 'home' to be a few hours away from all the people and place that mean 'home'.

i can't picture giving it up, ever. had a bit of a pregnancy scare recently, and was trying to figure out how i could keep surfing as the pregnancy went on (before i even knew for sure if i was or not, i was thinking more about how i could keep surfing than how i could look after a bloody kid!).

nope. never. never gonna not surf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

yeah, I'd love to live within walking distance of a half decent break, and that's something I would take into account if I ever had to move somewhere. Say for example, France would be a cool place to live, but I would HAVE to be near the sea.

Anytime I see clips on tv of people surfing, I get an urge to jump up and pack the board in the car...

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭kodute

Doubt it, met a guy on holidays once who used to drive 5 hours to Halifax, Nova Scotia to surf... and then 5 hours home!! Thats pretty dedicated.

If worst comes to worst you could always snowboard/skate if you lived in a landlocked country.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

I'm living that nightmare! Used to live 15 minutes from about 30 miles worth of good beachbreak that you could surf 6 months out of the year without wearing 40 pounds of rubber. Now I live on the East coast of Ireland which must be as close to the armpit of the surfing world as you can get (except maybe for Kansas or North Dakota), and no matter where I go it's Baltic cold.
    So yeah, when I'm not kicking myself for moving here I sometimes consider giving it up.:(

• Advertisement

I'm living that nightmare! Used to live 15 minutes from about 30 miles worth of good beachbreak that you could surf 6 months out of the year without wearing 40 pounds of rubber. Now I live on the East coast of Ireland which must be as close to the armpit of the surfing world as you can get (except maybe for Kansas or North Dakota), and no matter where I go it's Baltic cold.
    So yeah, when I'm not kicking myself for moving here I sometimes consider giving it up.:(

can't you just move back? :):confused:

14 degree sea temps are not board short weather but hardly Baltic!

I must admit though, I sometimes wonder how the jackeens put up with the 2 and a half hour drive to Sligo. I live 5 mins from the sea and an hour from anywhere surfable and that pisses me off!

kodute wrote: »
    I live 5 mins from the sea and an hour from anywhere surfable and that pisses me off!

any jobs for me!

any jobs for me!

If you looked just like me I'd hire you to sit at my desk while I go surf!
    But I doubt I'm lucky enough to have a long lost identical twin :(

If you looked just like me I'd hire you to sit at my desk while I go surf!
    But I doubt I'm lucky enough to have a long lost identical twin :(

i could make your tea...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 157 ✭✭PjC

cant really imagine it... I live 5 minutes from my local surf spot. Its great just coming home and deciding then if you wanna go for a surf rather than having to plan a weekend trip or even day trip. Even for sailing, the club is only 15-20 min drive.

Really dont think I could ever live anywhere other than where I am. Depends how well I was being paid as well though!!!!! Couple of 100g's a year would change my mind!!!

i could make your tea...

Its a deal! You'll start off on a base salary of whatever damp coins I find on the floors of pub toilets and move up from there. :pac:
    PjC wrote: »
    Really dont think I could ever live anywhere other than where I am. Depends how well I was being paid as well though!!!!! Couple of 100g's a year would change my mind!!!

Don't forget the helicopter to take you from your front door and drop you directly onto the nearest break.

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭gavkm27

Hey.... i have'nt given up,but i'm not surfing right now as i just moved to Whistler for the snowboard season,riding powder is the same buzz as surfing,so it helps,now i'm totally torn as i want to do both all the time! but i am giving the snow a good dig as i know i will end up back home in the west of ireland again someday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 437 ✭✭yank_in_eire

can't you just move back? :):confused:

I say that to the Mrs. all the time!!
    14 degree sea temps are not board short weather but hardly Baltic!
    When you're used to 28 degree water 14 is damn near polar!

hahahaha! ive had it lucky, coming from ireland to nz, it's pretty exotic for me here in the summer when it gets up to 16/17, im out in my boardies while many locals are in their 4:3s - which is what i wear in winter!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 milka

hahahaha! ive had it lucky, coming from ireland to nz, it's pretty exotic for me here in the summer when it gets up to 16/17, im out in my boardies while many locals are in their 4:3s - which is what i wear in winter!

What's surfing like in Nz for say someone who is at intermediate level? Is it fairly consistent on both islands on both sides? Have heard mixed reports, some people saying it's really more suited to very advanced surfers but surely they must be generalising a bit?

I'm hoping to go there for a few months in the new year, only thing holding me back is worrying that i'll get less surfing in there than over here since I'm used to knowing where works and in what conditions here.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭c-note

i'm from east coast
    i only took up surfing 18 months ago and am loving it.
    but 3 months ago i also took up winsurfing, which dosnt involve long journeys and accomadation.
    as i'm improving at windsufing, surfing has become less appealing (due to having to go west).
    windsufing vs surfing...>
    for me windsurfing> go further for longer for less!
    (still some days you cant beat a good surf!)

milka wrote: »
    What's surfing like in Nz for say someone who is at intermediate level? Is it fairly consistent on both islands on both sides? Have heard mixed reports, some people saying it's really more suited to very advanced surfers but surely they must be generalising a bit?

I'm hoping to go there for a few months in the new year, only thing holding me back is worrying that i'll get less surfing in there than over here since I'm used to knowing where works and in what conditions here.

it's real mixed. just gotta find the break that suits you. sumner, in christchurch has one of the most mellow waves you could find. brighton can get a bit gnarlier, but i'd be beginner/intermediate and get heaps of surfs in :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 milka

Cool, thanks Guys. :) I'd say it's a lot less crowded than East Coast Oz?

90% of the time, yep, but every now and then in decent conditions, you go out and it's jus packed. that's the advantage of brighton though, the beach stretches for miles :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement