Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can only receive texts when I send one!

• 21-10-2009 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭

Hey folks, Ive had my Nokia5800 since June and its been working like a dream until now. The problem is that I can only receive text messages once I send one! Im on Meteor and Ive went into the message settings to make sure the message centre number is correct. Ive also rang up customer care and done the 'power cycle' trick to no avail. Any further tips would be great!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Rockee wrote: »
    Hey folks, Ive had my Nokia5800 since June and its been working like a dream until now. The problem is that I can only receive text messages once I send one! Im on Meteor and Ive went into the message settings to make sure the message centre number is correct. Ive also rang up customer care and done the 'power cycle' trick to no avail. Any further tips would be great!
    Are you sure your SMS settings aren't set to use Packet Data to retrieve instead of GSM?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Rockee

cpu-dude wrote: »
    Are you sure your SMS settings aren't set to use Packet Data to retrieve instead of GSM?

Hmm..I havent had the problem until now. Should it be on GSM??? Thanks for the swift reply by the way cpu-dude.

Hmm..I havent had the problem until now. Should it be on GSM??? Thanks for the swift reply by the way cpu-dude.
    Well packet data connections aren't always available and your phone may be set to use packet data only when needed instead of when available.

Well packet data connections aren't always available and your phone may be set to use packet data only when needed instead of when available.

Checked just now. Tells me my 'Preferred Connection is GSM/UMTS.

Checked just now. Tells me my 'Preferred Connection is GSM/UMTS.
    Interesting, who's your provider?

• Advertisement

Interesting, who's your provider?
    Meteor.

Meteor.
    And it works ok in another phone yes?

You may need to do a factory restore or possible upgrade your firmware. What version do you have? (Type in *#0000#)

The latest is:

Nokia 5800d-1 XpressMusic
    V 31.0.008
    24-08-2009
    RM-356

And it works ok in another phone yes?
    I havent tried yet. Im at home so Ill try it on another phone in a minute!

Nokia 5800d-1 XpressMusic
    V 31.0.008
    24-08-2009
    RM-356

Ahh mine is V 20.0.012
    26-01-2009
    RM-356

How would I go about updating then?

Ahh mine is V 20.0.012
    26-01-2009
    RM-356

How would I go about updating then?
    With Nokia Software Updater - http://europe.nokia.com/get-support-and-software/download-software/device-software-update

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Unusual problem, could your message memory be filling up?

Try deleting most of your messages and restarting the phone, I doubt it will make a difference but no harm in trying.

Ok, problem solved everyone. I just went back to my place of purchase and got a new SIM card. Its been as good as new since this afternoon. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

ah yes meteor and their infamous dodgy SIM cards...

Dankoozy wrote: »
    ah yes meteor and their infamous dodgy SIM cards...

Yikes! Notorious I take it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Dankoozy

Yikes! Notorious I take it?

yep i had a sim that couldnt receive mms, my neighbour had one that couldnt use any AP except the MMS one. new sim always fixed these things

Advertisement