Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Physiatrist for terminally ill person

Options
  • 21-10-2009 10:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭

Hi,

My mother is terminally ill with a lung disease Pulminary fibrosis

She has had this for 2 and a half years and recently has become very anxious and mildly dillusional

She is saying that the nurses in hospital are against her and saying she has been a bad person and unholy

This is all untrue and is caused we believe by medication

She is in the bons and has been referred to a doctor who seems to over medicate her and this only cases her to sleep all the time

She is only 6 stone and we do not want her in this distressed state

We are hoping ye might know of someone who can provide a second opinion.

Thanks
    Noel

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

so sorry to hear this Noel. Have you spoken to her doctor or nurses?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

Sorry to hear this.

If you mum is terminally ill, has she not been referred to a palliative care team? You most definitely should speak to the social workers on that team and express how you are feeling, and also the concerns of your mum.

Contact the Irish hospice Foundation if not altho if you mum is terminal she should have had some contact. Referral generally comes from a GP or the consultant. I'm not up to scratch on the intricacies but push for something to be done by talking to the right people.

I'm no doctor, and while her mental state may be caused by the med it is also very likely it is the deterioration in her own health that is causing something like her confusion.

You sound quite frazzled about the whole thing, so I would really suggest you speak to a doctor or a social worker who will sit down with you and your mum and explain things and alleviate concerns.

Good luck. It sounds like a really distressing situation for you both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 145 ✭✭GER12

noel123ie wrote: »
    Hi,

My mother is terminally ill with a lung disease Pulminary fibrosis

She has had this for 2 and a half years and recently has become very anxious and mildly dillusional

She is saying that the nurses in hospital are against her and saying she has been a bad person and unholy

This is all untrue and is caused we believe by medication

She is in the bons and has been referred to a doctor who seems to over medicate her and this only cases her to sleep all the time

She is only 6 stone and we do not want her in this distressed state

We are hoping ye might know of someone who can provide a second opinion.

Thanks
    Noel

So sorry to hear about your mum. lYou can ask to speak to the consultant on the day of ward rounds (all team members will be there) and it would be a good opportuntity to bring up her case, medications and behaviour be that anxiety and hallucinations. You can get a referral to hospice services from the hospital. You are also entitled to have a second opinion given - it doesnt have to be provided in the same hospital.... all you would need is all her clinical records and films taken. The Bon's mightn't be too happy but your mum is the person whose important at this stage. Hospice services have bereavement support groups - if thats your thing - it often helps to talk to others who are in the same place - for advice and support. Take care.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭noel123ie

Hi there

Thanks all my mum had a lot of relatives who died in Marymount Hospice so has a dread of the hospital

I have spoken to doctor who is very good we were just wondering on a 2nd opinion as consultants 1st choice seemed to overmedicate my mum

Thanks all
    Noel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 615 ✭✭✭jellyboy

Hi op

ur post has touched me...

My mother dieded 5 months ago...but it was a beautfill death(long story too early in the morning to type)

may i make a suggestion..

im not a buddhist but i found the help and advice from dozchen beara uplifing..

they have a centre which is amazing and provides space to understand...

http://www.spiritualcare.ie/

i hope that helps...

• Advertisement
Advertisement