Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTPC (recommend GFX Card)

Options
  • 21-10-2009 11:15am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭

hi,
    i know this isnt the HTPC forum, but im posting here as its a specific upgrade question (i.e., i know what i want, i just dont know what card to buy)

i have a dell pc that a long time ago i converted to a HTPC that fits my needs. its hidden in the wall of the front room where the heating boiler used to be. noise is still an issue due to the location of the vents so an airplane style decibel level is not suitable.
    since i recently upgrade my tv system to included freesat i have come across the problem that ATI cards and BBC HD dont mix. to this end i have tried to upgrade my gfx card to an nvidia 8600GTS with fan. got it cheap so thought i would experiement.
    unfortunaltey the PSU doenst have a PCI connector so the card wont work properly (error in windows about running in low power mode)
    i tried to upgrade the PSU but get a flashing amber light on the dell (failed PSU indicator) so had to switch back to the old PSU and ATI and the issues with BBC HD

so, i need to upgrade to a cheap, but DXVA capable nVidia card (8 series minimum i believe)

requirements are very simple -
    • card must not require power from a PCI PSU connector (PSU doenst have one of these and i cant seem to upgrade the PSU as above)
    • case is BTX (backwards) so cant have a huge heatsink, although my ATI heatsink is about 1.5 inches.
    • preferably silent, ie, passively cooled
    • capable of DXVA accelaration on HD video files and BBC HD
    • nVidia
    • cheap

fairly specific list then!, cheap passively cooled nvidia, any one got a recommendation?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,436 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

can you not get the ide to pci-e converter?..if you have a spare ide power pin it will work fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

oh, ok!
    would i pick one up in maplin or peats?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

What's the issue Catalyst has with BBC?? :confused:

Assuming you don't care about gaming, a new 9400GT or (if you have a bit more cash) GT110 should have all the features of the 8600GTS and then some, especially HDCP acceleration. They use far less power as well (on top of lacking any PCIe plugs, although that's not really an issue).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

http://thegreenbutton.com/forums/p/73544/386896.aspx

theres a lot of info on it, BBC changed the encoders, ATI drivers cant handle the error correction so you get constant artifacting after a few seconds.

dont mean to be a spa, but do you have a link to where i could buy either of those cards online at a good price?

there does seem to be word that a beta catalyst has been released that fixes the issue which i will be looking into also

Advertisement