Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Poachers Caught

Options
  • 21-10-2009 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭

I was fishing yesterday and got talkign tot he waterkeepeer that caught these guys http://www.leinsterleader.ie/news/Hardline-approach-being-taken-to.5729758.jp

He said these were no amateurs the equipent was all top notch and he had met them several times before and spoke to them and they assured him that all their fish are returned unharmed :mad:

He said they will go to court and he hopes the judge will be tough but it's more likey to be a small fine

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭Bratach Bán

This makes me furious. I hope the judge throws the book at them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

give these people and inch and they take a mile. hungry b*******

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭paddy2008

Fair play to the lads waterkeeping,its not a very nice job! So well done to them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 nellumr

Give the tackle to a childrens groups and hit them very hard in the pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

why do we tolerate this crap. would you get away with it in bla bla bla land?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Macspower

I wonder what they actually do with the confiscated gear...

knowing Ireland we are probably renting storage for it somewhere :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Pretty sure the gear is tidied up by the FB and given to kids projects.

These guys won't get a small fine, well, the fine might be small, but they'll be ordered to pay costs, so will end up being close to €800 at the least. No one taken up for angling offences over the past year or two have gotten away lightly with it. Don't be so sceptical, plenty of people being done for fishery offenses and being hit in the pocket for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Dumdum McCarthy

temp-120x100.jpg
    THREAT TO LIMERICK FISHSTOCKS HIGHLIGHTED BY COURT CASE

27 October 2009
    The threat from poachers to fish stocks in Limerick's waterways has been highlighted in court as a Pallasgreen man was fined for fishing trout and salmon out of season.
    Michael Gammell of the The Grove, Pallasgreen pleaded guilty to 5 charges after being caught illegally fishing on the Mulcair River following a surveillance operation at Bilboa on November 21st last year.
    An officer from the Shannon Regional Fisheries Board told Limerick District Court that fishing out of season is a common problem.
    Live 95FM's Eric Clarke reports
    <<AUDIO>>
    >*
    Mulcair2310.wav
    Fisheries Officer Marcus McMahon told the court he conducted a surveillance operation after being notified of illegal activity near Black Boy Bridge in Bilboa.
    He spotted three men who he said were using a bright torch to blind fish as they swam upstream before spearing them with a fork-like implement called a gaff.
    The offence occurred during spawning season and Mr McManus said the mens actions were killing the next generation of fish which he described as important for tourism in the area.
    Solicitor John Devane said his client - a father of five - understands he was 100% wrong and does not wish to be back before the court
    Judge Tom O'Donnell fined Michael Gammell €700 and ordered him to pay partial costs of €500.
    The two other men were not before the court.

Hear Audio:

Pretty sure the gear is tidied up by the FB and given to kids projects.

These guys won't get a small fine, well, the fine might be small, but they'll be ordered to pay costs, so will end up being close to €800 at the least. No one taken up for angling offences over the past year or two have gotten away lightly with it. Don't be so sceptical, plenty of people being done for fishery offenses and being hit in the pocket for it.

really really hope so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

Hi Everyone

Just to note that in the Leinster Leader report it states that the waterkeepers confiscated the catch of fish and at the bottom it states that waterkeepers have the power to confiscate illegally caught fish.

For any waterkeepers reading this i wanted to point out that a section 294 waterkeeper has NO power to confiscate fish. Only gear, nets, lines etc. If you confiscate fish you are doing so illegally and are breaching the terms of the warrant. Furthermore if you take possesion of the fish you yourself could be liable for being in possession of illegally caught fish.

My suggestion is to photograph the catch, record weights and length and then ask/order the offednders to dispose of the catch back into the river.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10 saveourangling

not much point in fining these vermin,if they are selling the fish they will keep poaching to pay the fines,they should be jailed ,they are stealing off every angler who fishes the river they poach,18 months sentence min

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭surripere

....straight to execution :mad:

I'm all on for shot at dawn!!! well anytime really... dawn preferably!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

paddy2008 wrote: »
    Fair play to the lads waterkeeping,its not a very nice job! So well done to them!

These lads are the best waterkeepers i have ever seen. They are always on the bank.
    Macspower wrote: »
    I wonder what they actually do with the confiscated gear...

knowing Ireland we are probably renting storage for it somewhere :rolleyes:

The poachers have a year to claim back the seized equipment providing they pay the necessary fines etc. If they don't claim it back then its up to the club. We give any seized tackle to a disabled angling group.
    not much point in fining these vermin,if they are selling the fish they will keep poaching to pay the fines,they should be jailed ,they are stealing off every angler who fishes the river they poach,18 months sentence min

I'd like to see the judge that does that.
    surripere wrote: »
    ....straight to execution :mad:
    Macspower wrote: »
    I'm all on for shot at dawn!!! well anytime really... dawn preferably!

:rolleyes:

asked the same waterkeeper today about the confiscated gear... He says it's up to the judge.. they have to keep it until it goes to court. If it's awarded to the club they will give it the local youth club or school or the like... It's possible it can be given back to the hungry feckers though...

Advertisement