Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How many courses should I apply for?

• 21-10-2009 12:34pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm currently applying for some masters programs in the UK and I was wondering is it wise to apply for the same course in 2 or 3 different universities in case I'm awarded a studentship in one or if I'm refused my first choice? The thing is I am applying to Oxford and UCL and I know that it will difficult to be accepted into these universities let alone win a studentship. I have a 1.1 if that will make much of a difference over a 2.1 which is all that is needed according to their websites. I'm feeling quite overwhelmed as the application process is fairly lengthy. Thanks in advance.

Valmont.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭pow wow

There's no harm in it, but I wouldn't apply for any you wouldn't hypothetically accept as it's a mountain of paperwork as you know! I applied to 5 programmes within the same uni, and one each at two other universities (7 in all). I had 7 offers to reckon with come July and it was a nightmare to deal with :cool:

It's best to have a Plan B, and a Plan C, as your circumstances/preferences can easily change between applying and accepting offers! Also as you're applying 'overseas' and you might not have lived in these town(s) before, you might change your mind about where geographically you want to end up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

To be honest, I found some of the top tier uni's in England seemed to be somewhat elitist towards those applying from Ireland. I applied for a place in Imperial for a MSc in Communications and Signal Processing. I had a 1.1 BEng Elec and two papers published in the signal processing field from my final year project and also 100% in a telecoms course final year exam yet they rejected the application stating I didn't have the required criteria.

I am now studying a different course altogether in UCL that I had an interest in and I must give credit to UCL, they were excellent in communication from the moment my application was sent. E-mail's from the course director and lecturers were sent frequently to give information about the course and what should be studied before hand and all in all everyone I have dealt with in administration is very friendly. I guess since it calls itself the Global University they don't see applicants from Ireland as any different.
    I advise you to complete the application to UCL as it really is a great university but I am finding the transition from undergrad to postgrad to be immense, the workload and learning curve is very steep. Only other problem I guess I have is that since the college has such a high foreign student population it can be the case where those that speak English are the minority. In my class of 20, only 5 including myself speak English as a first language but that is in Computer Science so may not be the same everywhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭Valmont

D-Generate wrote: »
    To be honest, I found some of the top tier uni's in England seemed to be somewhat elitist towards those applying from Ireland. I applied for a place in Imperial for a MSc in Communications and Signal Processing. I had a 1.1 BEng Elec and two papers published in the signal processing field from my final year project and also 100% in a telecoms course final year exam yet they rejected the application stating I didn't have the required criteria.
    :eek:Goodness, that doesn't bode well.
    D-Generate wrote: »
    am now studying a different course altogether in UCL that I had an interest in and I must give credit to UCL, they were excellent in communication from the moment my application was sent. E-mail's from the course director and lecturers were sent frequently to give information about the course and what should be studied before hand and all in all everyone I have dealt with in administration is very friendly. I guess since it calls itself the Global University they don't see applicants from Ireland as any different.
    I advise you to complete the application to UCL as it really is a great university but I am finding the transition from undergrad to postgrad to be immense, the workload and learning curve is very steep. Only other problem I guess I have is that since the college has such a high foreign student population it can be the case where those that speak English are the minority. In my class of 20, only 5 including myself speak English as a first language but that is in Computer Science so may not be the same everywhere.

Great advice thanks. I have been having problems with the UCL application but I'll keep trying to contact them (can never get through on the phone, tried a dozen times).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,945 ✭✭✭D-Generate

Valmont wrote: »
    Great advice thanks. I have been having problems with the UCL application but I'll keep trying to contact them (can never get through on the phone, tried a dozen times).

Try getting on to the programme director or secretary directly. The admissions office are up the walls but the programme secretaries in the relevant departments respond very quickly.
    Good luck with it!

Advertisement