Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proof of address for Credit Union account

Options
  • 21-10-2009 1:07pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭

Hey guys,

Just wondering if someone can help me?

I went to join my local credit union yesterday having read the website for what I needed to join - that being a proof of ID and a proof of address (none specified) So I goes along with my o2 bill with my name and address and the date on it and my passport, only to be told that they cant accept the o2 bill as it is not "official" - whatever that means???

But the thing is I dont have any other bills as I live at home and thats the only bill in my name!

Anyone know what I can about it?

Cheers guys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

It is a bit **** on their part but there's no way that you can have a "case" - you do not have a right to a credit union account and they have the right to restrict people applying.

Having said that, try another cashier there and explain the situation. I'm sure they will be able to work something out with you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

While I'm not sure what kind of case you expect did you question the meaning of "official"? Do they want a letter with a presidential seal or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Do you have a government letter of some form - i.e. your tax credits letter from the Revenue. That should do it.

Anyhow, they are entitled to refuse you if they see fit. There are strict anti-money laundering restrictions in place these days.

Moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

Case was the wrong word to use there me thinks.

I did ask and they kept going on about the utility bill etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

What you can do is go to a local solictor and get an affidavit, I got one for something similar and it only cost me 80 quid at the time. Or what you could do is get your mam/dad to come along with you next time with their utilty bills on top off everything else and they may let you join.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

Hey guys,

I went to join my local credit union yesterday having read the website for what I needed to join - that being a proof of ID and a proof of address (none specified) So I goes along with my o2 bill with my name and address and the date on it and my passport, only to be told that they cant accept the o2 bill as it is not "official" - whatever that means???

But the thing is I dont have any other bills as I live at home and thats the only bill in my name!

Cheers guys
    As already mentioned, you don't have a "case" per se - no-one has the right to a credit union account. You would think though, particularly in these times, that a credit union would want all the deposits it can get.

As for the bill as proof of address, my understanding is that it has to be a service that is physically tied to your address ie. ESB, cable TV, a landline telephone etc. etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 633 ✭✭✭Tarakiwa

Kensington wrote: »

As for the bill as proof of address, my understanding is that it has to be a service that is physically tied to your address ie. ESB, cable TV, a landline telephone etc. etc.

100% matches my understanding.

A mobile service is by definition "mobile" and they need something that can prove your address. A tax document or a bill for a service tied to the house will do the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,650 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Hey guys,

Cheers guys

They do not like "mobile bills" because the mobile companies can be lax in confirming the address of customers.

Assuming you have a PRSI number, you should have correspondence from the State with your address.

Do you have a bank account, normally a bank statement would do.

if you don't have a bank account, open one in the same bank/branch someone whom lives in your house (parents?) use, they should accept their bills as proof of address.

I do have a bank account. But i only get statements once a year. Called the bank and they can issue me with one.. but it will be dated from April which they still have a problem with as I was told it would have to be dated in the last 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Most places will say no to mobile phone bills for one reason or another.

Otherwise, tax documentation of some kind or a statement (you probably could get it certified by your current bank with a current date stamp whhen it's sent out - but check with the CU if they'll accept that).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

I do have a bank account. But i only get statements once a year. Called the bank and they can issue me with one.. but it will be dated from April which they still have a problem with as I was told it would have to be dated in the last 3 months.
    This may not be as big a problem as it seems, & could just be that you were unlucky enough to be dealing with the wrong person in the CU.

Maybe you should either ring or visit the CU again, explain your situation & get them to tell you exactly what would be acceptable to them, bearing in mind that you live at home & the only bill in your name is a mobile one. I'm sure you are not the only person that has had this problem, so there's no point in guessing what will work & what won't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

ring the tax office and get them to send you a copy/statement of your tax allowances for the current year, also you can apply for an E111 card from your local health centre or ask the social welfare to send you confirmation of your pps number, and the letters recieved can be used as proof of adress.

Thanks for the edit to the title.

And thanks for all the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭bladespin

Had exactly the same hassle opening an account with Halifax, sent several bills (most of mine are now online), thought it was funny how a risk accessor could find a risk in it as it was a deposit account :confused:

I've sent on a ebill from Digiweb, it that doesn't satisfy them they can take their account and keep it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Last time I opened a bank account, they checked my address on the electoral register, and accepted that as my proof of address. You could ask the CU if this will do?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭emanresu

If you get a bank statement now, it should be dated OCTOBER not April.
    It would show transactions (if any) since your last statement (April?) up to now.
    If it is not dated October, could you go into the bank branch and ask them to date stamp it.

Advertisement