Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving house with a cat

Options
  • 21-10-2009 1:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭

Hiya

We have just moved house and brought our year old cat with us. We were advised to keep her in for two weeks: its been a week and she has cried non stop. I've bought her plug in things that release facial pheromones (or something along those lines) and plugged them in all over the house and got spray to spray her bed.

I'm just wondering has anyone any ideas on how to calm her down: she is jumping straight into windows and doors and getting herself in an awful state and I'm worried about her!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

First off, sorry to be the devil’s advocate but two weeks is probably too short a time to keep her in. I would go to at least 4 and then only have her about the garden for the next 2. She needs to get used to her new surroundings and if you let her out too soon, she may wonder off or try to find her way "home" (i.e. to your old house).

She is probably not used to being in the house so much and wants to be out and about exploring (as cats do). Have you tried lots of toys and fun stuff for her to do? She may still want to get out but won't be so stressed about it if she is having a good time in the house. There are loads of cool cat toys in pet stores that keep them amused for hours. Also, is her litter box in the same place she sleeps/eats? If she is used to going to the toilet outside she may not like the idea of going near places she would want to keep clean. Try keeping the litter box in a totally separate part of the house, good place is a downstairs loo or under stairs storage (with doors open at all times for access) because they are small and enclosed so she will feel ok going to the toilet there. And keep is scrupulously clean; they can get very stressed if their litter box or bed is in any way dirty. Hope she relaxes soon, good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

She's always used a litter box (to be honest she's probably not the world mos intelligent cat: she used come in from outside to go to the toilet)! I've moved all her toys and have brought her bed and my (old) dressing gown cause shes used to sleeping on that on top of my wardrobe!!

She's just very active and it is tough cause can't sleep at night with her!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭lubie76

I have 3 cats and I'm moving next week. I'm moving to another house in the same estate so I am not looking forward to trawling back to the old house to get them everytime they go missing.

I read that they should be kept in for 6 weeks minimum as that should be enough for them to adjust to a totally new life. I got cat tranquilisers from the vet for the first couple of days as all the moving will be so traumatic.

Other than that I have the feliway diffuser and all their toys put away ready for action. The worst part is this house has no garden yet and they just loved sitting out there all day smelling the air.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭Howitzer

Try tiring her out with a laser pen. Cats love chasing the red dot.

Also get her used to a harness and put her outside supervised on a line. Keep it short enough that she can't jump into a tree and get tangled.

Hope things get better. I'm sure she's still having a good snooze during the day?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

I know it's against the rules, but I started letting my cats out after 4 days when I moved. They were going nuts with the confinement. I actually got up at 4am (it was summer, so not dark) and walked around the garden and surrounds with them, so there was no traffic or dogs etc. I kept them in at night for a while. And only let them out hungry. Then I started leaving a window open so they could hop in and out.
    I don't know anything about those sprays, but I wouldn't do anything that would interfere with your cat smelling his 'own' smell, if you know what I mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Op have you moved to built up area or out into the sticks. If you are not in an area with a high cat population you maybe able to let her out. One of the main reasons cats go home or try to is that any cats already in the area will fight to protect their own ground.
    If the cat is neutured then you will not have as big a problem and if she is going mad then you might be better to let her out and hope for the best

• Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

She is neutered and I did not get an hour of uninterrupted sleep last night. Like I love my little kitten (well she like a cat now) so much but AAAGHH :eek: She cried so much she got sick and then cried more. I had the feliway diffuser in my old house and plugged it in the new house. I think I'm going to have to let her out: she is hurting herself trying to get out closed windows and yes I need to sleep so might let her out Sunday when I'm here all day and can play with her outside during the day and put food out for her... I feel like an awful owner that I can't keep her happy inside for two weeks!

Advertisement