Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB Staff Rise

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Not exactly conducive to debate. Moved from Economics. Politics mods: up to ye.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭AARRRGH

Forgetting about the pay rise, I find it hard to believe Lenihan is powerless.

Surely he can say: "**** off and die so. No more money for you."

The bank would have no option but to reverse the raise or at least cut wages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Taxipete29

The bank could of claimed inability to pay in accordance with the terms of the agreement. The fact that they are being propped up by the state would I am sure been enough of a reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

It's good to see my pension levy money hard at work!

Edit: Whoops, just saw the other thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 nellumr

It's good to see The Independent (who rightly called the booma property bubble) keeping up the good work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

There's about 8,000 people working for AIB, lets say they are on an averge of €45,000, at 3% across the board that's €10,800,000. A lot of money, the money wasted on the electronic voting would pay for it for 5 years :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

Some Anglo staff have received pay rises and bonuses too in the past year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Tipsy Mac wrote: »
    There's about 8,000 people working for AIB, lets say they are on an averge of €45,000, at 3% across the board that's €10,800,000. A lot of money, the money wasted on the electronic voting would pay for it for 5 years :D

Average of Irish based staff believed to be around €70k.

Polish based subsidiary dilutes it to €50k.

I have up to now given Lenihan average marks for his handling of this crisis, if he allows this as he has watched the ESB give a raise, he will be a gutless failure in my opinion.

This is a crazy thing to do in this current economic climate and gives ammo to the Unions to ramp up their pointless campaign to fight PS cuts.

Average of Irish based staff believed to be around €70k.

Polish based subsidiary dilutes it to €50k.

I have up to now given Lenihan average marks for his handling of this crisis, if he allows this as he has watched the ESB give a raise, he will be a gutless failure in my opinion.

This is a crazy thing to do in this current economic climate and gives ammo to the Unions to ramp up their pointless campaign to fight PS cuts.

Please back this up, I'm no fan of banks but throwing unsubstantiated facts around doesn't help in a serious discussion.

nellumr wrote: »
    Please back this up, I'm no fan of banks but throwing unsubstantiated facts around doesn't help in a serious discussion.

Discussion on the radio today gave me those figures.

Sorry I can't remember the programme.

It said that the average wage in BOI was 70k and AIB as I quoted with the dilution from the Polish subsidiary.

• Advertisement

I'm sure there will be some bank staff here to give their 2 (+ increase) cents.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

Lenihan is going to look silly allowing the AIB staff get a pay rise and then come looking to the PS and CS in december to cut wages.

To pump 7 billion of state money into a bank on its knees and then see them get a pay rise.

People were talking about it at work today and were just shaking their heads in disbelief at the thought of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭gerry28

mikemac wrote: »
    AIB staff are looking across at BOI staff who got this increase last year.
    Was there a thread with outraged posters commenting on BOI staff here last year? If I could search I would.

Yeah, there was some outrage about it on here alright... but very little.

If someone started a thread here about the PS getting a 3% payrise and if it was believed then you would see all hell break lose. There would be post after post after post filled with vitriol.

The BOI rise passed off with only a little fuss though and the AIB one prob will too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭deadhead13

Discussion on the radio today gave me those figures.

Sorry I can't remember the programme.

It said that the average wage in BOI was 70k and AIB as I quoted with the dilution from the Polish subsidiary.

RTE Radio 1 Drivetime, the figures were given by Shane Ross and Fergal Keane.

deadhead13 wrote: »
    RTE Radio 1 Drivetime, the figures were given by Shane Ross and Fergal Keane.

Thanks for that DH.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

Ok,

Lets say AIB kept the 10 odd million they paid out to staff. Lets say they make a profit of exactly 10 million this year (I doubt it will happen). At 12.5% this equates to 1.25million in tax.
    10 million in the hands of staff probably will be taxed at 20% or 41% + Income Levy + PRSI + Health Levy.

Which benefits the state more in truth?

*I didn't get a payrise BTW.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I'm curious why there's all this outrage at AIB, and no-one has made a peep about the fact that the article in the OP mentions that they wanted to go back on it, the unions fought them, ultimately leading to a a recommendation from the LRC to pay it, which is what AIB have done.

In effect, the unions coupled with a government body led AIB to stop trying to enforce cutbacks and to give a payrise instead.

I also note that while the article says that "an average increment of 3pc has now been made to some categories of staff below manager level in the bank's operations in Ireland", the figures being bandied about earlier in teh thread work off the total staffing, and mention a Polish subsidiary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭BroomBurner

bonkey wrote: »
    I'm curious why there's all this outrage at AIB, and no-one has made a peep about the fact that the article in the OP mentions that they wanted to go back on it, the unions fought them, ultimately leading to a a recommendation from the LRC to pay it, which is what AIB have done.

In effect, the unions coupled with a government body led AIB to stop trying to enforce cutbacks and to give a payrise instead.

I also note that while the article says that "an average increment of 3pc has now been made to some categories of staff below manager level in the bank's operations in Ireland", the figures being bandied about earlier in teh thread work off the total staffing, and mention a Polish subsidiary.

Maybe it was because it wasn't a public sector union that nobody has mentioned it..?

Advertisement