Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caherciveen

Options
  • 21-10-2009 1:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭

Does anyone know what Caherciveen is like to live in? My daughter in law has been looking at houses in this part of Kerry.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭canine

Cahirciveen like many towns over the last 10 years has come on in leaps and bounds ,its got everything she,ll need and during the summer months its a very lively place to be .Its a bit desolate during the winter

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

I suppose it will depend on what your daughter is into. If she is into the great outdoors, sailing, scenery a few nice pubs then she will love it.

If she wants a good choice of restaraunt, a regular taxi service, takeaways, transport links, big supermarkets, book shoops, chain stores, swimming pools then its not for her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭powerfade

Inexile wrote: »
    I suppose it will depend on what your daughter is into. If she is into the great outdoors, sailing, scenery a few nice pubs then she will love it.

If she wants a good choice of restaraunt, a regular taxi service, takeaways, transport links, big supermarkets, book shoops, chain stores, swimming pools then its not for her.

Restaurants- 4, with many other pub/grub options
    Taxi- at least hackney firms in Cahirciveen alone
    Takeaways- Chinese/Chipper/Pizza
    Supermarkets- has a very maodern and large super-valu
    Swimming pools- The sea!!:p
    Transport- Bus Eireann

Cahirciveen's biggest problem in fairness is it's isolation. It is an hour to the nearest big town, Killarney/Tralee and just over 2 hrs to Cork, so it is always a struggle getting to trains/planes etc. A beautiful place to live but as above post stated, it is very dead in the winter from October to March.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

powerfade wrote: »
    Transport- Bus Eireann

Cahirciveen's biggest problem in fairness is it's isolation. It is an hour to the nearest big town, Killarney/Tralee and just over 2 hrs to Cork, so it is always a struggle getting to trains/planes etc. A beautiful place to live but as above post stated, it is very dead in the winter from October to March.

+1

You're not going to be stuck in traffic for an hour on the way to work.

People say hi to each other on the street.

If your car broke down there would be a queue offering to help.

Fresh air.

I could keep going...

Although if your used to city living you may find it claustrophobic or you may have found your paradise. Best of luck to your daughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Inexile

powerfade wrote: »
    Transport- Bus Eireann

Cahirciveen's biggest problem in fairness is it's isolation. It is an hour to the nearest big town, Killarney/Tralee and just over 2 hrs to Cork, so it is always a struggle getting to trains/planes etc. A bea/utiful place to live but as above post stated, it is very dead in the winter from October to March.

What are the four restaurants - I can count QCs, Amerento(?) and the chinese . Yes there is the wonderful Point but thats not in town.
    When I said supermarkets I thinking of the likes of Tescos - I always think of supervalue as a middle sized shop.
    How often does the Bus Eireann bus go through town?
    When I worked there you could get a taxi at the weekends but midweek was a patchy service.

Dont get me wrong the town can be great but it depends on what your are looking for. It could be a step too far for a serious urbanite or a idyllic rural retreat - depends on your personality. I know that it wouldnt be a town for me but I do have a soft spot for the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭amadain

News just in

"250 cannabis plants worth €200,000 seized in Caherciveen".

Sorry, could find anywhere else appropriate to post this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

its a lovely town

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭amdaley28

canine wrote: »
    Cahirciveen like many towns over the last 10 years has come on in leaps and bounds ,its got everything she,ll need and during the summer months its a very lively place to be .Its a bit desolate during the winter

This is how I see it as well.
    I spent all my life in a city but have lived in Caherciveen for the past 8 years now. After a while you get used to driving a distance for major events but its not a problem.
    Caherciveen has everything you would normally need. A couple of supermarkets, several restaurants & cafes, banks, credit union, car sales & garages, hotels etc.
    Lovely people & very friendly.
    Don't forget the scenery which you won't get in any city.
    I know it might lack some of the niceties & conveniences of a big city but it has far more than any big city could give you.
    I happen to be in Cork on Friday & called in to B & Q for some screws which I needed.
    Guess what they didn't have them.I got them in Corkery's hardware store in Caherciveen yesterday so the big city doesn't have everything :p

Advertisement