Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a young cat/kitten

Options
  • 21-10-2009 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 35

Hi folks,

Im living in Charleville, Cork. I've checked a few shelters but they are asking €80 for them! :confused:

I just don't have €80 to give them straight up fr a cat. ( i know the good work they do etc...i used to work for the ISPCA)

Does anyone have any cats/kittens they are looking to re-home?

Any info would be great, Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Check local newspapers and Supermarket notice boards, there tend to be a few up each week. Also, quite a few rescues are contacted by people looking to rehome cats/kittens that don't want to put them into rescue. If you give them a ring and ask if there is anyone they know of that has contacted them you might be in luck.

I don't mean to be rude, but if you can't pay €80 for a cat straight up (which has had it's vaccinations etc.) then will you be able to afford vaccinations/food/microchipping etc. for a kitten? Might turn out to be the cheaper option to get it from a rescue!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

If you check out the two rehoming threads in the Animal Welfare forum - there are some cats (possibly kittens) that need homes :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 eilissinead

I don't mean to be rude, but if you can't pay €80 for a cat straight up (which has had it's vaccinations etc.) then will you be able to afford vaccinations/food/microchipping etc. for a kitten? Might turn out to be the cheaper option to get it from a rescue!

I just don't want to pay €80 for the cat when so many shelters let you take them for nothing (and give your own donation) but this shelter in particular is looking for a minimum donation of €80 which I don't agree with.
    They do great work and I know they do a lot with the cats but thats what they are there for! Coming to rehome an animal should be payment enough really!

I know they are not a governemt funded organisation but saying you can't have an animal (that they are looking to rehome) unless you pay 80 is going a little too far! Well I think anyway.

I have no problem giving a donation but I cant afford just to give €80 up front, that €80 can go toward the future worming, feeding etc I have to do, do you not agree?

star-pants wrote: »
    If you check out the two rehoming threads in the Animal Welfare forum - there are some cats (possibly kittens) that need homes :)

thank you! x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭B'witched

I just don't want to pay €80 for the cat when so many shelters let you take them for nothing (and give your own donation) but this shelter in particular is looking for a minimum donation of €80 which I don't agree with.
    They do great work and I know they do a lot with the cats but thats what they are there for! Coming to rehome an animal should be payment enough really!

I know they are not a governemt funded organisation but saying you can't have an animal (that they are looking to rehome) unless you pay 80 is going a little too far! Well I think anyway.

I have no problem giving a donation but I cant afford just to give €80 up front, that €80 can go toward the future worming, feeding etc I have to do, do you not agree?

So where is the shelter going to get the money from to help the next cat/kitten then?? Donations are used for the animals that follow.

Or does the help stop once you have what you are looking for??

In a word........NO.........I don't agree.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cotton

Coming to rehome an animal is certainly not payment enough. I would never hand out a kitten to someone with that attitude. Apart from the financial aspect, most people in rescue see that as a person having no worth on an animal.
    Every kitten given out by a shelter is done so at a loss.
    I can guarantee it costs them over 80 euro to vet check, deflea, deworm, vaccinate a kitten & get it ready for rehoming, I know it does me & that's for a kitten with no problems, otherwise it runs into a lot more.
    It will cost a damn site more than that for a person to get the above done by a vet themselves.
    Which would you prefer? To get a kitten for free, not seen by a vet, pay well above the shelters donations getting everything done yourself, which nearly always includes applying ear drops and/or eye drops several times a day, in the hope that the kitten will be healthy at the end of it? Or get a healthy kitten from a shelter for less money, knowing it's vet checked, healthy & the work is done?
    In short, NO, I don't agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭Themadhouse

I find the attitude regarding rescue cats/ kittens appaulling in ireland. it's expected to pay for a dog but not a cat!
    Having fostered cats/kittens and had them rehomed my from my home, getting them vet checked, vaced, neutered and sometimes pediatric neuters(under 6 mnths), worm, flead, food, litter, etc, i dont think people understand the time and money that is put into them to ensure happy healthy cats or kittens are rehomed.
    The rescue i fostered for had a donation of 25 euro policy. They should have been asking for a lot more imo. Having paid out a lot of money myself for the care of foster cats in my care i dont know how rescues can do it. Cotton who replied, i have a lot of respect for in the cat rescue world, she puts a lot of time and effort and money into rescueing cats and kittens, if she got a donation of 80 quid for a cat or kitten it would barely cover what she has paid towards ensuring you have a healthy cat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

I agree! I took in a pregnant female two and a half years ago and kept two of the kittens. They cost me at least 200 Euro each in vaccinations, neutering and wormers by the time they were six months old. Not to mention the fact that they ate me out of house and home while I still had the whole family of five! 80 Euro for a vaccinated, wormed and neutered cat is a bargain!

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭babychuckles

Dear op
    I have a friend in Charleville who rescues cats and kittens so if you want to get her number pm me. If you dont get a reply please resend the msg because my email account has a habit of eating my mail.
    regards.

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭chuck eastwood

My brothers house mate has kittens to give away but there in wicklow if that any good. only 2 weeks old

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

Sorry, double post.

If you can't afford the €80 up front, how will you be able to afford to vaccinate and worm your pet? You'll have to do it straight away and that's an outlay of €100 within three to four weeks. Unless it's a very young kitten, you're also going to have to get it neutered straight away. That's another €70-€100.

If you adopt from the shelter and pay the €80, you're getting a cat or kitten that's already wormed, flea-treated, fully vaccinated *and* neutered - plus you're supporting a good cause.

It's a no-brainer as far as I can see. It's actually going to cost you more to get a cat or kitten "for free" than it is for you to adopt from the shelter.

The shelter is not profiting from taking in cats and kittens and charging an adoption fee - the adoption fee is set as low as possible to just about cover the cost to the shelter of vaccinating, neutering, worming, de-fleaing etc. They could considerably reduce the adoption fee if they didn't bother to vaccinate, neuter etc., but they want to be responsible.

Edited to add: No kitten should be separated from its mother until it's eight to ten weeks old at a minimum.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Adventure Pout

I just don't have €80 to give them straight up fr a cat. ( i know the good work they do etc...i used to work for the ISPCA)

If you used to work for the ISPCA,then the cost of adopting a cat (or a dog) should not be a surprise to you.. because I am sure the ISPCA must have charged people a small fee to adopt cat/dog.
    80 euro is not much considering that lots of work on the cat have been done.
    The dspca charges approximately 60euros for adopting a kitty. That covers fleas treatment, worming, vaccination, microchiping and neutering (if you adopt the kitty under 5-6months, they will call you back to bring the kitty for neutering without charge because the adoption fee covers it!).
    So if you put all this together, 80euros is really nothing..
    As other people said, if you can't pay 80 quids upfront, then you might not be able to look after that cat and that will be unfair to the cat, and also to the rescue animals..

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭sweetnjuicy

Try calling Anne Fitz from the animal care society in Cork.
    She alwasy has kittens.
    You will have to have a home check done and there is an adoption fee, but its normally up to you how much etc, depending on how old the kitten is and whether its neutered etc.
    Ill PM you her details

It would be lovely if we could leave it up to people to decide for themselves how much they would like to donate, if at all. But, whatever about dogs, people expect to get cats/kittens for free. So if we left it to the adopter to decide how much to give, most people might give maybe €20, when the cost of getting each cat/kitten ready for adoption is €80 and the ones that are sick cost us even more in veterinary care.

Yes we exist to help animals in need, but without sufficient donations, we would not exist at all. Your donation of €80 covers the cost of the animal's veterinary care - it all goes to pay the vet.

Sure we could give them out without asking for €80 but then we couldn't afford to neuter them or vaccinate them before they leave us. Sadly we cannot trust people to be responsible about neutering and vaccinations so we will not take the risk, especially when vets are charging up to €160 to neuter a cat and people have less money than ever.

I really, really find it hard to believe that you worked for the ISPCA, given your attitude, I really do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭cosnochta

OP, I was just wondering if it's a good idea to rush out and get a kitten when you have a collie pup that you don't have time to look after properly?

I really think you should thinks things through carefully before getting any other pets.
    Hi there

I have a 6month old miniature Collie X who needs a home!
    My partner and I are both busy and cannot give her the time she needs.
    She is good on leash, potty trained, good with kids.
    We really need to find a loving home for her!
    I am based in Co.Cork so please PM me if you are interested.
    Thanks!

My brothers house mate has kittens to give away but there in wicklow if that any good. only 2 weeks old

Just to let you know....2 weeks old is far too young for a kitten to be leaving their mother

cosnochta wrote: »
    OP, I was just wondering if it's a good idea to rush out and get a kitten when you have a collie pup that you don't have time to look after properly?

I really think you should thinks things through carefully before getting any other pets.

:mad:

WOW, I didn't realise that people ACTUALLY had so much time on their hands!!

Instead of simply accusing, you might in the future want to find out the facts before you preach!

The dog belongs to a freind of mine, who isn't as technologically advanced as we are! She asked me to post an ad for her! So I did. I am not getting rid of one thing and replacing it with another!!!

I think things through a lot, thank you very much, I am quite a rational person, I know what I can and cannot handle, please do not tell me what I should or should not do when you do not even know me!

I think its really bad form that somebody can come on here to do two things, find a kitten and post and ad for her friend and gets attacked for doing both!

Please, if you cannot help with what I am asking, then resist the temptation to write silly little comments that will not help and maybe look at some other threads you can help with.

Enjoy Halloween!

Regards,

eilissinead

• Registered Users Posts: 10,264 ✭✭✭✭Alicat

No offence Sinead but I don't think there's a need to get angry about it. How was cosnochta meant to know that it wasn't your pup?

Anyways, I think it's ok for the shelters to ask for a minimum donation, even 80 quid. We rescued a kitten (found in a car engine) from a friend at 8 weeks. She's now about 5 months and on medical bills alone (getting all her vaccinations and wormers, and she had ear mites as well) we've spent close to 200 euro I think. And she hasn't even been neutered yet!

If you can't afford the 80 quid then maybe this isn't the right time for you to get a kitten. 80 is nothing these days with the kitten's costs!

You could keep an eye for ads looking to rehome kittens if you're that adverse to paying that much from a shelter. I'd say there'll be loads after Christmas as usual :(

its not so much that I was angry as just a little peeved. People give their opinion about things they know nothing about! Thats whats annoying! And honestly, she could have said it in the dog thread...not posted it back here to make me look bad...as im sure was the intention...why else would she do that!

And I know that the cost for caring for a cat can be high! I have 4 in the home place in wexford! Ive also worked for the ISPCA. I dont have a bad attitude...but my whole point really was...they ask for a voluntary donation of €80....otherwise you cannot take out a cat.....thats not volunatry....thats mandatory...

In the ISPCA where I worked, we asked for a donation....it wasnt mandatory....but mostly people gave the donation (which was fantastic!)

There was also a comment about paying staff...since when is the staff paid! We are a voluntary body....we go out and try to raise money....we walk feed and clean the animals...and we do not get paid...

someone also said...the 80 all goes to the vet.....where we were, (maybe the vet was particularly nice) the vet preformed most of the neutering for free...(maybe a small fee for the euthenasia)! Then yes we paid for the de-fleaing...food etc...but we buy in bulk so it doesnt cost as much.

I realise that 80 is not that much, i do, and when i said i couldnt afford it, i didnt mean, i didnt HAVE 80, but in the times we are living in, we need to be a little smarter about our money! Look for vets who charge less...look for food suppliers who charge less....I found someone who sells advantage for €7...not €20 and still makes a profit....we need to realise these things!!

Anyway thanks for the tip! I'll look out on those notice boards!

Happy Halloween

Regards,

eilissinead

• Advertisement

The dog belongs to a freind of mine, who isn't as technologically advanced as we are! She asked me to post an ad for her! So I did. I am not getting rid of one thing and replacing it with another!!!

It did come across that way...
    it would have been less confusing if you mentioned that you were posting on behalf of your friend.

I didn't actually "preach" at all. I simply suggested that you have a good think.

I got a 'free' kitten through my vet and before I could even take her home I had to fork out 86e for vaccinations. He also sprayed her with frontline and gave me some wormer, which he didn't charge me for. And I still have to bring her back to be speyed at my expense, so I think the 80e rehoming fee is a bargain!!

I hope things work out and you find a kitten.

cosnochta wrote: »
    It did come across that way...
    it would have been less confusing if you mentioned that you were posting on behalf of your friend.

I shouldnt need to...its our business...not the biggest deal in the world, im sure im not the first person to post something for someone else...

you only posted it in here to try and show me up...not cool at all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭Blueprint

If someone was getting rid of a dog because it was too much trouble at the age of six months and at the same time looking for a cat too take its place while sounding unwilling to spend any money on it, I think any animal lover would be justified in pointing out that this was the same person, as they'd most likely be getting rid of the kitten after they grew sick of it or once vet bills started to bite, which anyone thinking of giving them a kitten should be warned about.

I don't see why you are getting so mad about it to be honest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

OK firstly if anyone is sending abusive pms I suggest you stop right now. Anyone in receipt of such pms please report them, there's a report button in the pm -- do not post in this thread

secondly eilissinead as others have said how are we to know you're posting on behalf of someone else. To be fair, if I saw someone saying they couldn't handle one animal but were looking at getting another I'd say something too, because it wouldn't be fair on the animal.

I would like to point out the 80euro fee for rehoming a cat goes towards neutering and other expenses, perhaps the SPCA you worked in had a kind vet, not all do, and have to pay for it. I don't think it's bad to charge people to take an animal that time effort and money has gone into to bring them back to health and give them a roof over their head.
    As others said - you'd have to pay that kind of money if you were getting the kitten/cat neutered yourself.

There are plenty of kittens and cats in our rehoming threads in Animal Welfare and some shelters may have a smaller fee required to rehome a kitten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭annefitzy

I wasnt going to reply to this thread but then decided ah to hell with it an as I have five minuites to spare between kittens I will......

I will try explain what we spend on the house of horror kittens

Helena age 6 wks when we got her was taken to the vets flea treated worm treated and a full medical she then went into foster carer

Polly pocket age 7 days bearly alive when we got her was also taken to the vet for a full medical she has had lots of problems keeping down food and she has a low grade infection at the moment she is on antibotics and recovery food and cimicat

the last 4 that were taken out of that building were in shocking condition I am even ashamed to admit that I am a human, the 4 were were covered in urine burns sore eyes,sneezing and were covered in there own poos, sadly one kitten didnt make it. most food runs through them, the only milk that they can tolerate is R/C vital

So far I have had to sorce or purchase the following
    Cotten wool for cleaning little eyes
    Extra soft bedding for the kittens in the office
    Extra heat pads
    Extra litter
    Go Cat kitten
    Whiskers Kitten
    Recovery food
    Cimicat
    R/C vital
    Lactol
    Kitchen paper
    Nappy bags
    R/C WEANING
    R/C Growth
    Wormers
    Flea treatment
    Not to mension the extra heating bills and none have started there vaccinations yet!! So I do expect people to pay adoption fee, the min amount we expect is forty euro if the kitten or cat is not nuetered we will book them into the vet s and they can then avail of low cost nuetering which can range from 42-60 depending on where they go. If a cat is nuetered we ask for at least 60e most people have no problem giving it and will sometimes give more...To be honest I think adoption fees have to be raised as most rescues are not even covering there costs per cat/kitten any money we recieve is used to try and pay vet bills so we can help the next cat that come along.

Now I have ranted enough and I have to go and feed kittens
    Cheers
    Anne

PS we do carry out a homecheck before rehoming

There was also a comment about paying staff...since when is the staff paid! We are a voluntary body....we go out and try to raise money....we walk feed and clean the animals...and we do not get paid...

Many of the larger rescue organisations have paid staff, including LAW, the Dublin SPCA, Galway SPCA, Dogs Trust, PAWS, Avalon Greyhound Sanctuary, Sligo SPCA, ASH, ISPCA National Animal Centre in Longford, Limerick SPCA, to name but a few.

At any one time, LAW have approx 200 animals in their care, dozens of visitors to the sanctuary daily, and up to 100 phone calls a day. You simply cannot rely on volunteers alone to run a sanctuary. We get a lot of help from volunteers but few can commit to regular hours and few can commit a lot of time. Plus, few volunteers would have the necessary experience to handle the kind of emergency enquiries that come in on the phones, how to handle an aggressive or nervous dog, for example, or how to treat a very sick cat.

I suppose you are going to suggest now that we are wasting money paying people. I take umbrage at your suggestion that we do not shop around or spend our money wisely.

The vet charges us €50 to neuter. That's a very significant reduction on what most vets in our area are charging for neutering. Our vet also syringes all the cats' and kittens' ears for free while they are under GA.

We get the vaccinations at cost.

We get a reduction on wormers. Kittens are wormed every month until they are six months of age. Adult cats every three months. It normally takes at least several months to rehome a cat.

Advocate - all the cats and kittens are treated with it for ear mites - again we get it at cost.

We cannot rely on donated food alone because chopping and changing brands gives the animals diarrhoea. So we buy a good quality dry food at cost from our wonderful vet and then supplement it with donated wet food.

We always appeal for donations of cat carriers, litter trays, cat toys, UV bulbs, cat scratching posts, etc.

Cat litter - bought from the wholesaler so substantially cheaper than buying from a pet shop.

The cost of veterinary treatment for cat flu/FIV and FeLV testing/surgeries on cats and kittens hit by cars... Incalculable. But again our vet gives us a discount.

So even getting everything at cost or at a reduced rate - it's STILL costing us at least €80 to rehome a cat or kitten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 guess

hi i have two tabby and white kittens if you are still looking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭B'witched

guess wrote: »
    hi i have two tabby and white kittens if you are still looking?

:eek: Does nobody read a whole thread before posting? :confused:

B'witched wrote: »
    :eek: Does nobody read a whole thread before posting? :confused:

what is that supposed to mean? Have you decided that I am unfit to have a kitten?! Therefore everyone else should think the same?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 CatsRUs

WOW!!!

Okay, I have a question, why are you all attacking eilissinead? I'm very glad I stumbled across this thread.

I am a vet from KK and I completely see where eilissinead is coming from. Her whole point is that why should she have to pay a "VOLUNTARY" contribution on 80??? Its not VOLUNTARY if you HAVE to pay it!!! Many shelters don't charge 80 for a cat. There is a shelter near me (will not name for various reasons) and I know that I do a lot of work for them. I DO NOT CHARGE FOR NEUTERING as in all honestly it is a simple enough procedure we do all the time! I think eilissinead is right in saying, shop around!!

A cat is relatively cheap to home and keep, once the anual vaccinations are done...all you have to do is feed (maybe three euro a week) and house the cat, and whether you want to admit it or not, cats are a LOT easier to home than dogs, and cheaper too! Unless your cat gets any major illness' then its not going to cost you a whole lot to keep it.

I respect greatly the work of shelters and I wouldnt mind if they said there was a certain fee....but what eilissinead was saying was that it was seemingly voluntary......but you cant take the cat unless you pay it?? THAT IS MANDATORY FOLKS whether you want to admit it or not! I really think that attacking her is un-necessary!

On a personal note, eilissinead if you want to PM me, Id love you to come to KK and I will neuter any cat you get....for free (as I have done many times in the past). I will also discuss alternative barrier methods in relation to flea prevention etc with you instead of splashing out on the expensive ones!! (and they work just as well, if not better). I will also PM you if I hear of any cats/kittens!

sorry for that rant but i just think some comments were completely un-necessary!! Best of luck with finding a kitten!

Advertisement