Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Looking for a young cat/kitten

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

B'witched wrote: »
    :eek: Does nobody read a whole thread before posting? :confused:
    What is your point exactly?
    CatsRUs wrote: »
    WOW!!!

Okay, I have a question, why are you all attacking eilissinead? I'm very glad I stumbled across this thread.

To be fair - she didn't want to pay much for a cat and was questioning why you have to pay to rehome a cat. Ok it might be called a voluntary contribution in some places -- not in all btw. Some call it a rehoming fee actually - which is perfectly allowable and understandable.

As I said before - just because you personally do neutering for free does not mean all vets can/will. Shelters/Rescues also need money to fund their places AND it also will deter people from just 'picking up a pet' because they want one or for other purposes.
    So people responded with how they felt, just as you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,189 ✭✭✭boomerang

for the record, the rescue OP is referring to do not ask for a "voluntary donation" of €80 ... It's a minimum donation of €80. We are very upfront about it on our website and when you call on the phone.

€80 covers the cost of rehoming the cat, nothing more. Anything above €80 is helping the rescue generally. But no one ever, ever, ever gives more than €80. We had a lower minimum required donation for cats up to this year but no one ever gave more than the minimum and it got to the stage where rehoming cats meant running up a huge vet bill with no way of paying it. If we wanted to continue to help cats in the same numbers, we had to up the adoption fee.

There was a time we rehomed kittens for a nominal fee, on the understanding that the new owner would have the kitten neutered in time. We simply wormed and vaccinated. But guess what, once we put a neutering agreement in place and followed up with each adopter, rather than trusting people to do the right thing, we found that very few people were getting their kittens neutered at the earliest opportunity. Rehoming un-neutered kittens was only adding to the very kitten crisis we're faced with each year. So now our female kittens are not rehomed until they are neutered at about twelve weeks. The males can be rehomed without neutering but we do follow up scrupulously when the kitten is between five and six months, and give the new owners a neutering voucher, which is included in the adoption fee.

I honestly can't see the fuss about paying the €80 when it would cost the adopter far more to worm, vaccinate and neuter through their own vet. I only wish that people that raise an objection to this donation could see the hard work that goes into running the cat sheltering aspect of our sanctuary. There is such heartbreak in trying to help cats and then when someone comes on the phone and drags you over the coals for having the audacity to ask for money for a cat, well, it's another kick in the teeth.

CatsRUs, would you like to come and help us out? We have ten to fifteen cats neutered every week - I don't know of any vet who would give practically a full day's work every week for free? Barrier protection's a viable method once you've cleared the cat of parasites. But as the cats that come in to us are generally full of worms and ridden with earmites, we HAVE to use milbemax and advocate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 eilissinead

boomerang wrote: »
    for the record, the rescue OP is referring to do not ask for a "voluntary donation" of €80 ...

sorry but how do you know which shelter I am referring too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭Dee_animallover

:mad:

WOW, I didn't realise that people ACTUALLY had so much time on their hands!!

Instead of simply accusing, you might in the future want to find out the facts before you preach!

The dog belongs to a freind of mine, who isn't as technologically advanced as we are! She asked me to post an ad for her! So I did. I am not getting rid of one thing and replacing it with another!!!

I think things through a lot, thank you very much, I am quite a rational person, I know what I can and cannot handle, please do not tell me what I should or should not do when you do not even know me!

I think its really bad form that somebody can come on here to do two things, find a kitten and post and ad for her friend and gets attacked for doing both!

Please, if you cannot help with what I am asking, then resist the temptation to write silly little comments that will not help and maybe look at some other threads you can help with.

Enjoy Halloween!

Regards,

eilissinead

You really cannot blame anyone for thinking this :confused: You made it sound quite obvious that the dog was yours "me and my partner no longer have the time to give it" (not direct quote) If I'm been completely honest I think your just backtracking because of the first line in your post about people having too much time on their hands? Why? because they looked at 2 threads and noticed you were the same poster? Hardly - I noticed because I'm an animal lover and have been on here recently posting about my lost cat and my kittens for re-homing and thats what these threads are for - reading.

Edited to say - I have to say also I find your views on rescues quite bizarre!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 eilissinead

On a personal note, eilissinead if you want to PM me, Id love you to come to KK and I will neuter any cat you get....for free (as I have done many times in the past). I will also discuss alternative barrier methods in relation to flea prevention etc with you instead of splashing out on the expensive ones!! (and they work just as well, if not better). I will also PM you if I hear of any cats/kittens!

[/quote]

I just want to say thanks very much for your kindness! Glad somebody gets where i am coming from! Looking forward to your PM!

• Advertisement
Advertisement