Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star Wars: The Old Republic - Good for MMORPG First-Timer?

Options
  • 21-10-2009 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭

I signed up to test "Star Wars: The Old Republic" because I've always likes Star Wars but I've never actually played MMORPG games before.

Do you think it will be a good game to start my "MMORPG adventure" with?

I've never really been interested in WoW or Warhammer because I've never been a huge fan orcs, dwarves, elves and the like. However the Star Wars background does appeal to me.

Do MMORPG fans think this game will be a success? Will it be any good? Will it be easy enough for a complete novice to play?

Thanks and apologies for all the questions... :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭nix

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Since it's not out and there aren't any real full details on how it works, it's hard to sya. I'd say it will probably work pretty much identically to most other MMORPG's and since they're all easy enough to get into, I can't imagine this being too different.

I've a strong feeling that it'll be a success. Not as big as Warcraft, but simply because it's Star Wars, it'll have a huge fan base. Also, it's from Bioware, the guys who did Knights Of the Old Republic and the Baldur's Gate games, so they've a history of writing brilliant stories and characters.

So, all in all, I'd say you're going to enjoy it. Most MMORPG's are a little confusing at first, but you'll get the hang of it quickly enough. You may find the users fairly rude at first. This happens in most MMO's when they start. After a little while you'll find the more childish players leave to troll some other game and the community gets friendlier. Plus I'd say there's a fair few people here who will be playing so you'll get plenty of help.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Thanks humanji! Your comments made me feel a bit more confident about the whole affair! :D

I hope they pick me for the testing phase so I can get some "training" in before the release! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Well, just to shatter your hopes, there's probably severl million people hoping the same thing! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

SW will be as new player friendly as you can imagine. I'm not convinced it will be much of an MMO, but I don't think that will matter to most people playing it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

Thanks for shatterinf my hopes there! :D

I believe EA are pumping a huge amount of money into this one so it seems they're hoping it will be MMO anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Thanks for shatterinf my hopes there! :D

I believe EA are pumping a huge amount of money into this one so it seems they're hoping it will be MMO anyway!

Sorry to break it to you but EA are a bunch of retards. They will go the whole full support and loads of dollars route until they decide a game is to be released and then its rush the product out the door. They did the exact same thing with warhammer online and look how that game is doing these days :(

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

Dont do it steffano, youll regret it :D

maybe not at first, but after a few months/years youll look back on it and say wtf did I do in all the time ive played :rolleyes:

I got sucked into playing WoW/AoC/WoW/Warhammer/WoW/Aion in that order over the last two years and only now after spending 60 euro on Aion CE after playing for around a week copped on that Im not getting anything out of playing these exact same games for endless hours every day, apart from a few character levels/gear that mean nothing.

At first it was great playing wow and aoc with mates being my first mmo's and experiencing what its like to play these huge games and level through them and everythings new but after that you notice your always doing the same thing, leveling up to max level, then playing to get the best gear, then playing somemore to get all your crafting skills, then playing some more to do all the instances, then a patch comes out and you have to do it all over again. This is the same for every mmo, no matter how they describe it. It becomes addictive, and youll always be thinking about it.

This mightnt be the same for eveyone I know, but just a word of warning :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

i suggest sticking to your plan.
    play the new star wars as your first mmo.
    not many people get to start of with a brand new game out, where everyone is a noob in it.
    it will help you a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭Ravage1616

I'm really looking forward to this! I've had enough of wow! Love star wars and hope bioware won't disappoint! (which they won't)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭superfly

if anything can compete with WoW it has to be the Star Wars universe, so hopefully it can live up to the hype

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭neilk32

If your an fps player like I was, I think the mmo you would most enjoy would be darkfall online because of its fps aiminng. My first mmo to play properly and I still love it.

edit: igster its like that in themepark mmo's but not in darkfall :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭lazlo

Dont do it. WoW was a mistake for me, amazing game on many levels but its ruined by the developers greed. MMOs with monthly subs invariably are dour life consuming affairs propped up by nuggets of amazing gameplay. Bioware make great games, play Baldurs Gate or NwN if you want an amazing role playing experience. They are time consuming but they dont have the life-stealing properties of MMOs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Blazher

neilk32 wrote: »
    If your an fps player like I was, I think the mmo you would most enjoy would be darkfall online because of its fps aiminng. My first mmo to play properly and I still love it.

edit: igster its like that in themepark mmo's but not in darkfall :)

Nope. He would want http://www.globalagendagame.com/ . But SWTOR is a game i have been waiting for since SOE fecked up SWG all the moons ago.

There is a few good MMOs coming out in the first Q1 of 2010. So lets hope blizzard get there finger out and fix WoW.

Advertisement